THIS IS THE WAC

129,552 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SFAXE93
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Just want to point out how awesome the Utah Valley baseball stadium and view is:

djsfw57
PurpleOut said:

Just want to point out how awesome the Utah Valley baseball stadium and view is:

With a view like that, I'd be ok with a crappy stadium. LOL
TallTexan
Wow.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Looks like Chicago State will end up in the MEAC. They've received enough votes to do so, but it's not official yet.
nacluth
Seems like a decent enough fit. I mean they will still be the geographical oddity, but the competition is right.
SFAJack_76
Conferences fighting over UIW? What world are we living in?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Conferences fighting over UIW? What world are we living in?

I'm fine with it. Send them back to the SLC.
SFAXE93
I agree, that's good news!
SFA Jack Fanatic
This "astute" guy calls them IWU multiple times. He's really "in the know" isn't he?

But he did get one thing right. The Texas Four didn't want them in the WAC anyway. And I agree, guys, send them back to the sorry Southland immediately!
BigJack85
I'd look to add a Central Oklahoma or West Texas A&M if needed
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Not sure that helps on the football league for transitioning schools. But we might just need to go with the AQ7 longer since I don't think ASUN has their needed number of teams either.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

Not sure that helps on the football league for transitioning schools. But we might just need to go with the AQ7 longer since I don't think ASUN has their needed number of teams either.
The ASUN isn't exactly turning out the way it was planned. I would welcome UCA to the WAC in a heartbeat. I think UCA would consider it given the turmoil that the ASUN is experiencing.

Heck, I have a number of alignments (realistic ones) that I think would work really well for SFA and move the ball forward towards a robust football/basketball centric conference. In my mind the key is finding like minded schools that individually have at least 2- 3 strong programs among the following: FB, MBB, WBB, BB and SB. For SFA we are 4 out of 5. One of the schools I'd like to see back in the same conference with SFA is Oral Roberts. ORU has a strong MBB/WBB program and usually fields a strong baseball program. We can do better than returning to the SLC.
SFAXE93
The WAC would hate to lose SFA.

FIRST YEAR IN THE WAC
  • MEN'S BASKETBALL WAC CHAMPIONS
  • WOMEN'S BASKETBALL WAC CHAMPIONS
  • WOMEN'S SOCCER WAC CHAMPIONS
  • WOMEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD WAC CHAMPIONS
  • SOFTBALL WAC CHAMPIONS
  • FOOTBALL (2ND)
  • WOMEN'S TENNIS (2ND)
  • VOLLEYBALL (3RD)
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

The WAC would hate to lose SFA.

FIRST YEAR IN THE WAC
  • MEN'S BASKETBALL WAC CHAMPIONS
  • WOMEN'S BASKETBALL WAC CHAMPIONS
  • WOMEN'S SOCCER WAC CHAMPIONS
  • WOMEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK & FIELD WAC CHAMPIONS
  • SOFTBALL WAC CHAMPIONS
  • FOOTBALL (2ND)
  • WOMEN'S TENNIS (2ND)
  • VOLLEYBALL (3RD)

Men and women Indoor T&F each finished 2nd.
SFAXE93
WAC Commish Cup will go to GCU

GCU = 72.0
SFA = 54.5
SHSU = 44.0
NMSU = 43.0
ACU = 42.0
UVU = 36.0
CBU = 31.5
Seattle = 29.0
Lamar = 27.5
UTRGV = 21.5
Tarleton = 20.5
DSU = 16.5
CSU = 16.5
nacluth
I think we pretty much know leaving the season what we thought coming into the season: the Southland's three best programs match up well with the WAC's three best programs. I guess we'll have one year to find out if UTA fits into the top 6 or not.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

WAC Commish Cup will go to GCU

GCU = 72.0
SFA = 54.5
SHSU = 44.0
NMSU = 43.0
ACU = 42.0
UVU = 36.0
CBU = 31.5
Seattle = 29.0
Lamar = 27.5
UTRGV = 21.5
Tarleton = 20.5
DSU = 16.5
CSU = 16.5
On the WAC website I noticed that GCU got 16 Cup points in four sports in which SFA didn't field teams, and SFA got 5 Cup points in the one sport in which GCU didn't field a team. And SFA's bowling (finishing #2 nationally) and beach volleyball teams' results yielded zero Cup points, since those sports are not WAC-sponsored. So, GCU's final Cup win margin would be considerably smaller, since an apples-to-apples comparison was not applied.
SFAXE93
Head to head in team categories they share, GCU still wins, and baseball has not even been counted yet.

But yes the margin would be smaller.

GCU does have the advantage in getting points as they have more sports teams than any other program in the WAC.

They have everything but football.

BASEBALL - GCU
MEN'S BASKETBALL - SFA 5; GCU 2.5
MEN'S CROSSCOUNTRY - GCU 4; SFA 1
MEN'S INDOOR T&F - GCU 6; SFA 5
MEN'S GOLF - GCU 4 SFA 1
MEN'S OUTDOOR T&F - SFA 6; GCU 3

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL - SFA 7; GCU 5
WOMEN'S CROSSCOUNTRY - SFA 1; GCU 1
WOMEN'S GOLF - GCU 3; SFA 1
WOMEN'S SOCCER - SFA 6; GCU 6
WOMEN'S TENNIS - GCU 5.5; SFA 2.5
VOLLEYBALL - GCU 2.5; SFA 1
SOFTBALL - GCU 7; SFA 5
WOMEN'S INDOOR T&F - GCU 6; SFA 5
WOMEN'S OUTDOOR T&F - SFA 6 GCU 3

GCU 58.5; SFA 52.5
SFAJack_76
Be reminded that one of Ivey's goals since day one is top 100 in the Learfield Cup. Thank you bowling!

https://nacda.com/documents/2022/4/21/April21Overall.pdf
SFAXE93
Dixie State, now Utah Tech new branding and logos

https://utahtech.edu/brand/

BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

SFA could use some updated branding IMHO.

SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

That's a lot of logos!
BigJack85
I'm convinced Tarleton is headed to CUSA. At that point, is the SW division of the WAC sustainable? My guess is yes, but football will have to morph. And possibly leave the WAC umbrella

Maybe it turns into something like the old "Southland Football League" 1996-2002. With the 5 or so ASUN teams and the 5 or 6 WAC teams. Maybe we can call it the Southwest Football Conference…. Kind of like the MVFC.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
These WAC tournaments are like an entirely new season with new teams.

Top 4 from the West vs Top 4 from the SW that didn't play each other during the regular season.

nacluth
I guess I'm rooting for Sacramento State.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I must be the only person who didn't know that Sac State was even in the WAC for baseball.
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

I must be the only person who didn't know that Sac State was even in the WAC for baseball.

I didn't know that until I visited the WAC website and looked at the standings a couple of weeks ago.
SFA88
PurpleOut said:

These WAC tournaments are like an entirely new season with new teams.

Top 4 from the West vs Top 4 from the SW that didn't play each other during the regular season.

I want to be clear that I am an SFA alum and I root for SFA above all else. I am also a sports nerd and have 4 sports radio stations programed into my car radio.

I was looking at GCU's basball record and thought I would look at their schedule. As we know, a record can be deceiving if there is a bunch of weak teams on it. They went 2-1 with Arizona, went 1-1 with Arizona State (in a rebuild), Stanford,and Oregon State, went 2-0 with Texas Tech. They also loss series with teams that might not be as good as those teams.

They are without question the premier program in the WAC. That doesn't mean they will get out of the WAC tournament but count me as impressed.
SFA88
nacluth said:

Given that Sac State has a chance to knock Sam out of the tournament this morning, is it safe to say you just became an even bigger fan?
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Agreed. They did such a bad job of it a few years ago, they are probably gun shy but that doesn't mean you stop trying IMO.

Rebranding never pleases everyone. There are still people around Phoenix that don't like the Nike makeover ASU received about 10 years ago. I constantly hear people say they miss Sparky on the helmet. Yet, if you go back far enough, Sparky wasn't on the helmet. The University has to know where to make a change and where to stand it's ground. For example, the new mascot costume looked like the creepy Buger King mascot so they change it but they stuck with the pitchfork as the primary logo (I still think "Forks Up" is dumb but "XX Up" is how you know a University has had the Nike treatment)
SFA88
He so astute he doesn't know the difference in Standard Time and Daylight Time. He wrote that he would be on Finebaum today at 5:30 EST

Okay I admit it, I'm picking nits because I live in a place where such things matter.
cboothe09
I got GCU or Lamar taking the tourney...
PurpleOut
Staff
Sam Houston went 0-2.
SFAJack_76
SFA88
Looks nice. Their stadium seems a little small but the location is beautiful. Elevation may give them a slight home field advantage.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.