THIS IS THE WAC

129,488 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Basketball is only ever a player away from going from good to great.

Women are definitely WAC ready but they're one of the Top 25 teams in the country too. I think soccer is going to get there soon too.

I'd really like to know our softball/baseball/golf strategy long term. We are atrocious at golf. I don't know that we'll ever be great at Softball/Baseball without new facilities and I figure that's about 15th on the list of athletic priorities.

This is just me, but I'd start looking at some strategic analysis behind other sports(men's soccer), women's triathlon, swimming, etc that we might be better capable of succeeding in without several million dollar new facilities.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

Basketball is only ever a player away from going from good to great.

Women are definitely WAC ready but they're one of the Top 25 teams in the country too. I think soccer is going to get there soon too.

I'd really like to know our softball/baseball/golf strategy long term. We are atrocious at golf. I don't know that we'll ever be great at Softball/Baseball without new facilities and I figure that's about 15th on the list of athletic priorities.

This is just me, but I'd start looking at some strategic analysis behind other sports(men's soccer), women's triathlon, swimming, etc that we might be better capable of succeeding in without several million dollar new facilities.

Softball has been pretty darned good, even with the facility that we have. How?? Very good coaching. Good recruiting efforts. Very good recent success and resultant growing reputation. Good location smack dab in the middle of the softball honey hole of Texas.
TallTexan
Wac is up another spot in Kenpom conference rankings to 14th.

Just passed Sunbelt.

It's a shame we can't keep this configuration for a few years.

Southland has fallen to last place conference.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
WAC COMMISSIONER'S CUP STANDINGS (UPDATED)

GCU = 38.5 *
SFA = 24
SHSU = 21
CBU = 20.5
UVU = 20.5
ACU = 17
NMSU = 16
Lamar = 14
Seattle = 13.5
UTRGV = 10
DSU = 9.5
CSU = 8.5
Tarleton = 8

* GCU has won 3 of the last 4 cups, and they are the only WAC program to participate in every sport, (with the exception of football) which gives them more point opportunities.

SFA and SHSU are the next ones with more point opportunities with the exception of 4 sports that are provided in the standings (M. Soccer, M & W. Swimming, M. Tennis)

Beach Volleyball and bowling are not counted in the points.
TallTexan
I would love to see us figure out how to do men's soccer & M&W swimming.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

WAC COMMISSIONER'S CUP STANDINGS (UPDATED)

GCU = 38.5 *
SFA = 24
SHSU = 21
CBU = 20.5
UVU = 20.5
ACU = 17
NMSU = 16
Lamar = 14
Seattle = 13.5
UTRGV = 10
DSU = 9.5
CSU = 8.5
Tarleton = 8

* GCU has won 3 of the last 4 cups, and they are the only WAC program to participate in every sport, (with the exception of football) which gives them more point opportunities.

SFA and SHSU are the next ones with more point opportunities with the exception of 4 sports that are provided in the standings (M. Soccer, M & W. Swimming, M. Tennis)

Beach Volleyball and bowling are not counted in the points.

For anyone that doesn't know, bowling has stayed in the Southland Bowling League, and beach volleyball is competing in the ASUN. There aren't enough teams in the WAC of either sport to have a competition.
Texasheli
Yes women's and men's swimming would be a nice add in my own selfish opinion. It would be great to know there might be an opportunity for my son swim for my alma mater. He made the state meet for Tyler Legacy this year in swimming.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

Swimming is actually very doable. We have the facilities for it already where they do the Scuba class.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

TallTexan said:

Swimming is actually very doable. We have the facilities for it already where they do the Scuba class.
My understanding is that the limited number of swim scholarships means most teams add a significant chunk of tuition to the university.

If we have facilities, almost a no brainer IMO.
SFASawmillGuy
Swimming and mens soccer would both be very easy and reasonably affordable for the university to add to be honest. Literally no work has to be done facility wise(even though soccer does deserve a better "stadium"). The addition to me does seem like a no brainer.
SFAJack_76
  • Tarleton State University's rapid rise into a premier NCAA Division I institution continues as Memorial Stadium is set to undergo another transformation this summer.
  • The Memorial Stadium expansion project will close in the north endzone with stands that will increase capacity to nearly 24,000.
  • The existing field suites will relocate to the south endzone underneath the video board to create an exciting, enclosed game day atmosphere
SFASawmillGuy
Most of the rumors I've seen are saying us and Tarleton are next targets of C-USA, so it makes sense that they'd expand their stadium again.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

Most of the rumors I've seen are saying us and Tarleton are next targets of C-USA, so it makes sense that they'd expand their stadium again.
Gonna end up with a stadium they'll never be able to fill.
djsfw57
SFASawmillGuy said:

I hope the rumors stay rumors. I would hate for SFA to move up to FBS.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

Someday, maybe. Any time soon, highly unlikely.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

If it's offered I believe Ivey will take it right away. I don't think it's the right move, but I know that's what Ivey wants for our program.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

If it's offered I believe Ivey will take it right away. I don't think it's the right move, but I know that's what Ivey wants for our program.
The thing that sucks is, no matter how much better FCS football's setup is than G5, it's a risk to stay in FCS if you have the opportunity to move up. With the NCAA constitution changing, there is no telling what could happen to FCS conf opportunities.

Some of the things the big school's have discussed for non football sports is fewer autobids, more playin games for small schools, a complete breakaway, etc. Being a G5 team, while not ideal, puts you one level higher in terms of being protected from whatever they decide the future of athletics looks like.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

The thing that sucks is, no matter how much better FCS football's setup is than G5, it's a risk to stay in FCS if you have the opportunity to move up. With the NCAA constitution changing, there is no telling what could happen to FCS conf opportunities.

Some of the things the big school's have discussed for non football sports is fewer autobids, more playin games for small schools, a complete breakaway, etc. Being a G5 team, while not ideal, puts you one level higher in terms of being protected from whatever they decide the future of athletics looks like.
You are right. I just can't help but think if we move to FBS we will never EVER have the opportunity to win a national championship. In FCS we wouldn't have that problem.
TallTexan
I think theres's about a 20% chance that the MAC, CUSA, & sunbelt are playing in whatever the next version of FCS is.
SFASawmillGuy
I think a question we have to ask ourselves is do the pros outweighs the cons of making that jump.

Pros-

It's a lot more financially lucrative. 3-5 money games, plus the potential for bowl game payouts and television payouts.
Infinitely more television exposure. If we go on a run College Gameday loves going to visit the little guys campus.
The potential for better and more successful athletes.
Even more competitive conference in sports outside of football.
The oldest college football rivalry in Texas would continue.
The potential benefits to Nacogdoches with much larger road crowds, especially if we can host a power 5 school or someone who travels well.

Cons-

We would be very uncompetitive for several seasons until we got our footing. Sam is likely about to experience that.
Always the potential people don't give the dream time to be realized and give up too early.
Texas is over saturated with FBS programs. Recruiting becomes potentially harder in state.
We don't want to play in the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl.
Virtually no current path to an FBS national title outside of multiple undefeated seasons in a row.
No more BOTPW.
Massive stadium renovations would be needed to make it FBS ready.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

I think a question we have to ask ourselves is do the pros outweighs the cons of making that jump.

Pros-

It's a lot more financially lucrative. 3-5 money games, plus the potential for bowl game payouts and television payouts.
Infinitely more television exposure. If we go on a run College Gameday loves going to visit the little guys campus.
The potential for better and more successful athletes.
Even more competitive conference in sports outside of football.
The oldest college football rivalry in Texas would continue.
The potential benefits to Nacogdoches with much larger road crowds, especially if we can host a power 5 school or someone who travels well.

Cons-

We would be very uncompetitive for several seasons until we got our footing. Sam is likely about to experience that.
Always the potential people don't give the dream time to be realized and give up too early.
Texas is over saturated with FBS programs. Recruiting becomes potentially harder in state.
We don't want to play in the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl.
Virtually no current path to an FBS national title outside of multiple undefeated seasons in a row.
No more BOTPW.
Massive stadium renovations would be needed to make it FBS ready.

The money is significantly better. Tv contract wise. And the guarantee games are fatter. You can build a pretty nice fieldhouse with some of those paydays along with a few donor $$$$
TallTexan
I'm not sure the money actually works out to be better FWIW.

Take LA Tech. They spend roughly 23 mil last I check. We're around 19.5. They get around 400k in tv money a year. Buy game money: 1.1 million for the biggest ones(UT/LSU).

They're playing 2 this year. So total you're looking at around 2.5 million in money and they're spending 3.5 million more than us.

Don't get me wrong, there can be some advantages, especially if you go on a coastal or app state like run in terms of publicity. But most bowl games draw few viewers and the you can play multiple FCS playoff games per year.

It's not as cut and dried as most like to make it out to be. In fact, I think we've got a real opportunity on our hands the next few years. Our biggest rival is about to get thrashed for a few years while our team is ready to peak. Plus, it's going to burn some of our boosters up that Sam got the FBS callup and we didn't, so they'll open their wallets for more projects.

SFAJack_76
We aren't at $19.5 million. There are some weird things around reporting, not just SFA. It's how it's done. Ivey would be ecstatic to have that much to spend.
SFAJack_76
Future WAC member UTA WBB won the SBC tournament to punch their ticket to the dance. Their NET is 129. Going to be a quality addition.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

We aren't at $19.5 million. There are some weird things around reporting, not just SFA. It's how it's done. Ivey would be ecstatic to have that much to spend.
I believe that was per the last USA Today reporting.

I know athletics accounting is unusual to say the least, but I figure they're typically fairly unusual in the same direction, ie somewhat comparable, if not perfectly apples to apples.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I know athletics accounting is unusual to say the least, but I figure they're typically fairly unusual in the same direction, ie somewhat comparable, if not perfectly apples to apples.
Might be somewhat comparable, but what USA Today reports is several million over Ivey's budget.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Might be somewhat comparable, but what USA Today reports is several million over Ivey's budget.

I think the $19.5 is actually somewhat accurate, but not all $19.5 is available to spend due to a number of factors I'm not qualified to speak on because I studied law and not business. So maybe $19.5 is total budget but much lower in spendable budget.
TallTexan
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I think the $19.5 is actually somewhat accurate, but not all $19.5 is available to spend due to a number of factors I'm not qualified to speak on because I studied law and not business. So maybe $19.5 is total budget but much lower in spendable budget.
Definitely think scholarships are in that calc somewhere, and I doubt that money is actually changing hands. It's probably just discounted would be my guess.
SFAJack_76
SFA88
I read that he has been on leave since January. Does anyone know what was going on?
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

I read that he has been on leave since January. Does anyone know what was going on?

Not much being let out. I've read a couple of articles in Beaumont paper. Nothing notable.
sfa17
No-look
And Teddy Allen going pro
sfa17
Transfer portal gonna be fun for NMSU .

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.