THIS IS THE WAC

129,511 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

UIW SPORTS

FOOTBALL - SOLID
BASEBALL - SOLID
MEN'S BASKETBALL - 5 straight losing seasons
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL - 8 straight losing seasons
WOMEN'S SOCCER - 6 straight losing seasons until 2021.
SOFTBALL - 8 straight losing seasons
VOLLEYBALL - 12 straight losing seasons

Pretty much taking the role of departing Chicago State.
What about those fencing and artistic swimming teams?
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Disappointing move. I'm sure the logic is to have teams that can move to FBS or have the desire to move to FBS. UIW has shown zero commitment ($$$) that is visible. No fan support. A few family members travel. Silly really. Silly. Better to make a bold move. Grab a Central Ok or someone with a little interest in being in the conference (fans).
But, but, but … they made commitments to the conference. What could go wrong?

It gets the WAC an AQ for football next season. (Short term thinking at best.)
PurpleOut
Staff
I think labeling them as solid for baseball is also a stretch. We finished above them 5 times in the past 7 seasons. That's not god.
SFASawmillGuy
I mean, same can be said for football. They're good now. But they've been irrelevant every year up until 2019.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
UIW KenPom rating in basketball--353 of 358.

The conference was suppose to get better with the exit of Chicago State.
wahlwesle
Watching GCU and North Florida. GCU has got it together. The broadcast is as good as any, and the place is completely rocking. That's got to be a great place to play.
Pilotgirl
wahlwesle said:

Watching GCU and North Florida. GCU has got it together. The broadcast is as good as any, and the place is completely rocking. That's got to be a great place to play.

Ladyjacks game tonight was loud...not GCU loud but if I were another team, I wouldn't want to play us at home. Or any time for that matter.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

Disappointing move. I'm sure the logic is to have teams that can move to FBS or have the desire to move to FBS. UIW has shown zero commitment ($$$) that is visible. No fan support. A few family members travel. Silly really. Silly. Better to make a bold move. Grab a Central Ok or someone with a little interest in being in the conference (fans).

I'd really like to hear who at the WAC was championing this.

If we're gonna take a terrible program, atleast HBU is a short drive.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I heard that UIW rolled out the big guys, and made an excellent presentation to the WAC board in September. Better than what McNeese did. That piqued interest from those that didn't know them. Also heard that toward the end of negotiations, they asked for more from the WAC, and were told no. Take it or leave it. Since the SLC has given McNeese just about everything, that had to be a no brainer decision for UIW. Hope that someday we get to see the details of the "commitments" they made to the conference.

I hate the move, but it's done.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I was fine with SFA joining the WAC. Now I just wish we would leave. This whole UIW situation has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.
Pilotgirl
I'm just gonna support our teams at this point. We have no control in what conf we are in or who they allow or don't allow in ....so, imma show up, be loud, and let the chips fall where they may. I don't like it (UIW to Wac) one bit, but it is what it is. #AxeEm
BigJack85
djsfw57 said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I was fine with SFA joining the WAC. Now I just wish we would leave. This whole UIW situation has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

I agree. Bitter. Very bitter. At this point we have to do what we are going to do. We are positioned to be a force in WAC football. Only Tarleton and ACU should be challengers. We are stacked for next year. SFA makes a statement in 2022.

My hope is that UIW makes an investment in facilities. Specifically football. Additionally, they (UIW) need to get more than 1800 fans to a game.

The best crowd UIW had this season…. Against #6 UIW 3200 fans. Really. 3200. If that's the high water mark??????
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

I'm just gonna support our teams at this point. We have no control in what conf we are in or who they allow or don't allow in ....so, imma show up, be loud, and let the chips fall where they may. I don't like it (UIW to Wac) one bit, but it is what it is. #AxeEm
You definitely aren't wrong.

I don't want to play them, but I hope we beat the breaks off those little piss ants for as long as we're stuck with them.
TallTexan
6570 fans in Huntsville for a ranked matchup and fight for the auto-bid of the AQ7.

In a state where football is king, I simply can't understand what's gone wrong at Sam that they're drawing fans like a 3-7 OVC school.
SFAXE93
They are a commuter school, plain and simple, the students who go there, are not there to watch sports.
Kat1990
TallTexan said:

6570 fans in Huntsville for a ranked matchup and fight for the auto-bid of the AQ7.

In a state where football is king, I simply can't understand what's gone wrong at Sam that they're drawing fans like a 3-7 OVC school.
Ton of reasons why
It is pretty amazing to watch 18k show up at NRG
Then to not be able to draw at home consistent 10k
The AD office gave all season ticket holders replica rings this past Saturday it was a nice touch
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

I think their proximity to much larger sports markets really hurts them. Houston and A&M are easily close enough for them to go watch those games and even then most of their student body I would be willing to bet are from the Houston/college station areas, so I'm sure their allegiances are already made.

SFA has the benefit of being so far away from everything we really don't have to worry about that, hence why we traditionally have larger home crowds even in football where Sam has had our number.

That's not a knock on Sam, it's just an unfortunate geographic fact for them.
TallTexan
Kat1990 said:

TallTexan said:

Ton of reasons why
The AD office gave all season ticket holders replica rings this past Saturday it was a nice touch
I bet all 7 of you were very excited
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

I think their proximity to much larger sports markets really hurts them. Houston and A&M are easily close enough for them to go watch those games and even then most of their student body I would be willing to bet are from the Houston/college station areas, so I'm sure their allegiances are already made.

SFA has the benefit of being so far away from everything we really don't have to worry about that, hence why we traditionally have larger home crowds even in football where Sam has had our number.

That's not a knock on Sam, it's just an unfortunate geographic fact for them.

One of the reasons I believe SFA and FBS are a natural fit. Just like LaTech and FBS. Solid bonafides in a bunch of sports. It's not even an upset when LaTech beats a Power 5 squad. That's what we should strive for imho.
Kat1990
TallTexan said:

Kat1990 said:

TallTexan said:

Ton of reasons why
I bet all 7 of you were very excited

Many more than that season ticket holders are not really one of the issues
TallTexan
Not really a spot for this, so will put it here where we've been watching other conference changes.

TallTexan
Hurd confirms that they had to add UIW after NMSU & Sam left.

Also mentions that the "san antonio market is great".
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I heard him say it was a factor, not that they "had to." The key is the teeth in the commitments. What they are, and timeline to complete. Hurd saying to look back in five years matches with some rumble I have picked up about time to make meaningful, measurable progress. Caleb certainly made him dance in responding to his questions.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

I heard him say it was a factor, not that they "had to." The key is the teeth in the commitments. What they are, and timeline to complete. Hurd saying to look back in five years matches with some rumble I have picked up about time to make meaningful, measurable progress. Caleb certainly made him dance in responding to his questions.
Ya Caleb did a great job.

Honestly, for the sake of our fans and theirs, they should be open about what those commitments are. That way they can be held to them.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexa said:

Also mentions that the "san antonio market is great".
Is it though?

I think the "___ market is great" is an overrated aspect of realignment somewhat. But in this case, what does San Antonio actually do for us other than having another Texas city for easier travel? Will there be people in San Antonio that randomly decide to watch a WAC game just because UIW is in the conference?

It will always be a University of Texas city, predominantly Longhorns and now with an up and coming UTSA football program.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Honestly, for the sake of our fans and theirs, they should be open about what those commitments are. That way they can be held to them.
I think there would be value to UIW to be open about the master plan. That should generate some excitement around the school.
SFASawmillGuy
Only way UIW is apart of the FBS plan is if they decide to cohabit the AlamoDome with UTSA. If they are successful the fans will come. Before UTSA started having their success the city of San Antonio could care less about the Roadrunners with UT an hour away.
Now that UTSA is good they have a huge fan base.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

Only way UIW is apart of the FBS plan is if they decide to cohabit the AlamoDome with UTSA. If they are successful the fans will come. Before UTSA started having their success the city of San Antonio could care less about the Roadrunners with UT an hour away.
UTSA has almost 35,000 students. UIW has under 8,000.

UIW doesn't have the fans, the facilities, or anything to deserve this move in my opinion. But again, that's just my opinion. We'll see how it goes.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

SFA_03 said:

UTSA has almost 35,000 students. UIW has under 8,000.

UIW doesn't have the fans, the facilities, or anything to deserve this move in my opinion. But again, that's just my opinion. We'll see how it goes.
Just over 5,000 students at the Broadway campus where the athletic "facilities" are.
Kat1990
Good article on what may be coming

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/with-ncaa-constitution-changing-will-powerful-college-football-teams-effort-to-formally-divide-fbs/
TallTexan
Kat1990 said:

Good article on what may be coming

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/with-ncaa-constitution-changing-will-powerful-college-football-teams-effort-to-formally-divide-fbs/
A split has been long speculated and personally, I hope it looks like a 32 team premier league when it happens. Then everyone else can play in an FCS style playoff and in 20 years it will be the predominant league that is most prestiguous.

But let's say we're being generous on the split. Which teams have any business in Texas playing the highest level college football? A&M & UT for sure. Tech, TCU if we're being realistic, and Baylor, SMU, & Houston if we're being generous.

So who does that leave:

Rice, UTSA, UNT, UTEP, TX State, SFA, Sam, ACU, Tarleton, etc. Why shouldn't we all be playing each other in a bus league?

Split FBS in half, pair the other half with the top half of FCS, and then let's all find a TV partner willing to grow the game with our 24 team playoffs and regionalized leagues.
PurpleOut
Staff
Similar, and I may be in the minority, but I love relegation style leagues. Which I think America should adopt more.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Similar, and I may be in the minority, but I love relegation style leagues. Which I think America should adopt more.
Oh man, that'd be fun. I don't see it ever happening, but it'd be fun as heck for college sports.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Oh man, that'd be fun. I don't see it ever happening, but it'd be fun as heck for college sports.
I don't think it would happen either, but I think it could work in several pro leagues as well.

Who likes to see their baseball team tank it after the All-Star break? Make them keep playing or else they are moving down to AAA. Same with the MLS.

It's one of the main aspects that I love about English soccer so much. Watching the small clubs fight to come up, or stay up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.