THIS IS THE WAC

129,529 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SFAXE93
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's early, only 6 sports have passed, 14 to go for final tally.
TallTexan

Sam's early season run paid off so far.
nacluth
For those curious how the rest of the WAC is stacking up. ACU has had it rough.

TallTexan
WAC/ASUN football conference just announced.
cboothe09
WAC/ASUN FBS football conference that is...

Not happy...If there was a way to do it, this is the best route to successfully transition, but I really don't like the idea of FBS
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

WAC/ASUN football conference just announced.

What?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Schools I can see actually being FBS potential.

SFA(help us rich UT overlords)
Tarleton
RGV(FBS-esque budget)
ACU
Peay
EKU

So I have to wonder where else they'd get the schools. Inviting half the MVFC? The Montana schools? McNeese/SLU?

Chattanooga?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Schools I can see actually being FBS potential.

SFA(help us rich UT overlords)
Tarleton
RGV(FBS-esque budget)
ACU
Peay
EKU

So I have to wonder where else they'd get the schools. Inviting half the MVFC? The Montana schools? McNeese/SLU?

Chattanooga?

The only way this works is regionalization. Add one or two solid southern schools with tradition. McNeese, Chattanooga maybe. I'd even say SLU has possibilities
djsfw57
I hope I'm 100% wrong, but I fear the move to FBS is going to be the kiss of death for SFA football. We've had a rough time being competitive in FCS. How in the hell do people think we will be successful in FBS? At least in FCS there is a possibility to play for a national championship. In FBS there is no chance of that ever happening. As a matter of fact, there's no chance for us to ever make the playoffs unless there are some HUGE changes in the "playoff" setup. As it is, there really is no playoff. It's just an invitation only party for the rich and famous.
SFA88
The report says all 10 schools will move to FBS. I don't know how true it is but the WAC was a FBS conference. They made a deal to be allowed to compete at FCS. That may be the pathway mentioned. The report mentions they are talking to 4 other FCS schools. What if all 4 were out west, Montana, Montana State, NDSU, and SD or maybe 4 Big Sky schools?
SFAXE93
The WAC has pull, because it has FBS history.
RedRiverLa
djsfw57 said:

I hope I'm 100% wrong, but I fear the move to FBS is going to be the kiss of death for SFA football. We've had a rough time being competitive in FCS. How in the hell do people think we will be successful in FBS? At least in FCS there is a possibility to play for a national championship. In FBS there is no chance of that ever happening. As a matter of fact, there's no chance for us to ever make the playoffs unless there are some HUGE changes in the "playoff" setup. As it is, there really is no playoff. It's just an invitation only party for the rich and famous.
Yes, ULM made the move and their program has been a whipping post for years. But the income is at a different level, so the program sails along safely being bad at 4-8 most years, if not worse. The brought Terry Bowden in, but not much has changed. But 6 wins, and a very good chance you are in a lower tier bowl.
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
BigJack85
djsfw57 said:

The Rev has mentioned this before and I believe it to be true. G5 is the going to be the old FCS. FCS, is going to be the new D2. It's really a lateral move.
SFA88
I wrote SD (South Dakota) when I should have written SDS. Besides football, Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State have been pretty good in men's and women's basketball. I wonder if the WAC could convince those four to join as full members and join the WAC/ASUN in football? I bet Seattle would love that. They must get tired of traveling to SFA, UTRGV and all the Texas schools for that matter.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

I wrote SD (South Dakota) when I should have written SDS. Besides football, Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, and South Dakota State have been pretty good in men's and women's basketball. I wonder if the WAC could convince those four to join as full members and join the WAC/ASUN in football? I bet Seattle would love that. They must get tired of traveling to SFA, UTRGV and all the Texas schools for that matter.

I think they've (SDSU or NDSU) been interviewed, saying NOT LEAVING the MVFC. I imagine, the destination for those MVFC and BIG SKY schools, would be a remodeled Mountain West, after current MWC schools head to the remodeled PAC12
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

The report says all 10 schools will move to FBS. I don't know how true it is but the WAC was a FBS conference. They made a deal to be allowed to compete at FCS. That may be the pathway mentioned. The report mentions they are talking to 4 other FCS schools. What if all 4 were out west, Montana, Montana State, NDSU, and SD or maybe 4 Big Sky schools?

In relation to WAC football, I believe the quote was "The WAC has what is equivalent to, the last available liquor license" . Meaning the WAC can reform as a FBS conference as it has historical standing in that division.
SFA88
I don't think the Pac-12 will let any of the MWC schools in. The decision isn't made by ADs it is made by presidents and chancellors and they value academics more than athletics. They have stated in the past that Fresno and Boise don't pass acedemic muster. According to an article in the Fresno Bee, Fresno is not a member of the Association of American Universities. It is not a research institution and it offers only 3 PhDs; Cal offers 93. Academics at MWC schools are closer to SFA than they are to any Pac-12 school and that matters a great deal to the decision makers.

It seems more likely the Pac-12 continues as the Pac-10 or the desireable schools bail for the Big-10 and Big-12 and WSU and OSU join the MWC.

I'll add that I have read the post and articles that say the Pac-12 should take this or that MWC school but those articles usually only look at athletics and TV viewers (most MWC schools offer 0 for TV contracts) and ignore the academic realities. I also don't know how San Diego State measures up.
BigJack85
SFA88 said:

I don't think the Pac-12 will let any of the MWC schools in. The decision isn't made by ADs it is made by presidents and chancellors and they value academics more than athletics. They have stated in the past that Fresno and Boise don't pass acedemic muster. According to an article in the Fresno Bee, Fresno is not a member of the Association of American Universities. It is not a research institution and it offers only 3 PhDs; Cal offers 93. Academics at MWC schools are closer to SFA than they are to any Pac-12 school and that matters a great deal to the decision makers.

It seems more likely the Pac-12 continues as the Pac-10 or the desireable schools bail for the Big-10 and Big-12 and WSU and OSU join the MWC.

I'll add that I have read the post and articles that say the Pac-12 should take this or that MWC school but those articles usually only look at athletics and TV viewers (most MWC schools offer 0 for TV contracts) and ignore the academic realities. I also don't know how San Diego State measures up.

Significant reporting (SI, Yahoo Soorts etc) that San Diego State to PAC12 is almost a done deal (pending tv rights negotiations). Fresno or UNLV also. PAC12 is going to compromise on its academic standards. That's why San Diego St is 1st in line. Fresno is a R2 research university, so close to PAC12 standards…. That's my take. Or guess. LOL.
SFA88
San Diego State has 23 PhD programs less than half of Pac-12 schools but likely close enough. The Pac-12 has a history of bias against the California State System but will have to set that aside. UNLV may pass the academic hurdle and is a good TV market but football is bad. As one reporter said, this is about football, men's basketball and football. Also football.

These schools have come up before in the last 10 to 15 years and the presidents always past on them. They may be backed into a corner. I'm sure the TV negotiations will impact the decision. If the networks want certain schools, there will be pressure on the presidents. Most of them don't care that much about football, however.

I can still see a scenario where Oregon and Washington leave and the Pac-12 falls apart completely.
SFAXE93
https://goutrgv.com/news/2022/12/12/travis-bush-named-first-head-football-coach.aspx

2023 - Recruiting Year
2024 - Practice Year
2025 - First Full Season

This hire makes sense as he was at UTSA in 2010 when that program was starting up.

SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

https://goutrgv.com/news/2022/12/12/travis-bush-named-first-head-football-coach.aspx

2023 - Recruiting Year
2024 - Practice Year
2025 - First Full Season

This hire makes sense as he was at UTSA in 2010 when that program was starting up.

I for one can't wait for this game. I would love another in state rival and rival from with in the UT system.
SFAXE93
Plus they're orange
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
nacluth
Nice. Outdoor track and maybe softball can get us close, but GCU has baseball locked up and I don't have much confidence in our golf/tennis scores, but they are getting better.
SFAJack_76
Worth 22 minutes of your time.
BigJack85
Not sure exactly where to post this …. UVU Athletic Director says that realignment will hit the WAC. UVU has already spoke to two other conferences. Full interview is on the Twitter machine.
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

Not sure exactly where to post this …. UVU Athletic Director says that realignment will hit the WAC. UVU has already spoke to two other conferences. Full interview is on the Twitter machine.
Thanks for the heads up. I can't find it interview on the UVU Athletics account or the Athletics Director accout or the basketball account. Who posted it?
SFA88
Found it.

https://espn960sports.com/valley-sports-talk-with-brice-larson/uvu-athletic-director-jared-sumsion-talks-conference-realignment-more/

Realignment talk starts around the 17 minute mark, for those that want to skip ahead. He said realignment is coming soon with Gonzaga. The west has fewer teams so anytime realignment hits the west, it has a bigger impact. Essentially, they are keeping their options open but they love the WAC and Thorton. He also mentioned they would love to see Weber State in the WAC. I don't know if we should read between the lines on that or not.
SFA88
Here is another one that doesn't seem to fit anywhere but is interesting. GCU is loosing their Beach VB coach to ASU. This has to be a money move. GCU beats up on ASU regularly and is in a big time Beach VB conference.

Maybe their pockets aren't as deep as we thought.
SFAXE93
Ivey talks with the WAC Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/user-635036560/wac-podcast-ryan-ivey-sfa

Athletics Facility Master Plan is in the works.

SFAXE93
TallTexan
I'd be cool with that.

Should help some of our fans see the rivalry exists beyond football too.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I'd be cool with that.

Should help some of our fans see the rivalry exists beyond football too.

I know that Humphreys plans on playing every year, alternating the location between Huntsville and Nacogdoches.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.