THIS IS THE WAC

129,482 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by SFAXE93
No-look
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If this happens, when will it take effect?
TallTexan
No-look said:

If this happens, when will it take effect?
Believe they would need to enter by the 2023 season to keep the conference at the required numbers.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see next year.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Don't get me wrong, I think the WAC is currently better than the Southland has been for a long time. Administration being a key benefit. I like your optimism, but the WAC is still a one bid league (mbb) for the foreseeable future.

I agree. Still a one bid. Probably would have been with NMSU. I don't agree that it's just a warmed up SLC. It's not "much" better but it is an upgrade. Dixie and SUU are poised to be solid programs all around.

I still think there's another shoe or two to drop. In particular Seattle and CBU. They have probably been casting around for a while. If that happens - either or both of them leave, the short-term picture becomes much clearer. And brighter.

The center of the conference of conference will move east if that happens. Making the crazy travel just a bit easier. All in all I'm still disappointed.
sfa17

May be taking the name conference "USA" to literal
BigJack85
sfa17 said:

May be taking the name conference "USA" to literal

That's worse than the WAC. And that's saying something. I don't doubt that we are planning to make the leap. Possibly as part of "Elevate SFA". Sounds like a number of the key academic priorities are making solid progress. Maybe a key donor drops $5-$10 million as a cornerstone donation for the new updated field house? We can only dream. Oh. We just did that with Loddie Naymola. Maybe we have the football version of LN.
sfa17
Yes, we are not ready yet. Just need a few more developments.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

Yes, we are not ready yet. Just need a few more developments.
Need a few more March wins too. That will give football enough time to really step to the next level.
SFASawmillGuy
The elevate SFA thing is 100% to get us to the FBS. As well as other things but if successful that's the plan with it.
Kat1990
If WK and MTSU do not leave Conf USA for the MAC that has hit some snags
Then this is pretty solid deal especially for basketball
. I would assume keeping those 2 especially MTSU would make the conference rating even higher

Most Bearkat alumni or not happy especially about BOTPW being over
SFA Jack Fanatic
Chicago State is considering adding football in the next couple of years. That's just what a cash-strapped athletic program needs. Another money pit. It can't run a MBB program, much less a FB program.
TallTexan
Kat1990 said:

If WK and MTSU do not leave Conf USA for the MAC that has hit some snags
Then this is pretty solid deal especially for basketball
. I would assume keeping those 2 especially MTSU would make the conference rating even higher

Most Bearkat alumni or not happy especially about BOTPW being over

MTSU is pretty terrible in the overall rankings right now but if they get back to their previous level they'd be an absolute diamond to keep for basketball for CUSA.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Chicago State is considering adding football in the next couple of years. That's just what a cash-strapped athletic program needs. Another money pit. It can't run a MBB program, much less a FB program.
As someone said, a football team would break even if they dropped to D3 and those 100 students were all paying tuition.
SFASawmillGuy
As Ivey said in one interview, Football is a status thing. It's usually the first thing incoming freshmen see, draws the biggest crowds, and college football is generally considered the most popular college sport. They probably think they can elevate their already down athletic department by throwing a Hail Mary and adding football.
That being said, it's not for everyone and they absolutely shouldn't do this. It's gonna cost a fortune and recruiting for them will be a nightmare.
PurpleOut
Staff
Being a small school in a huge city with several other larger schools and professional teams...you're already way behind.
RichieVan
Brian Thornton is the next WAC Commissioner
https://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/sports/wac-announces-brian-thornton-as-next-commissioner/
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Makes the turnout for our event look huge.
nacluth
Thornton looks like a good commish for basketball.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Makes the turnout for our event look huge.

Well their first problem was not inviting the Jacks. We give them their best crowd every year.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

I love it, because at the end of the day, that's our ticket to stardom.

But I think it's interesting that the conference decided to go that direction. Especially after the expansion direction they went with McNeese/UIW.

This does make me more hopeful about the future of the conference though.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

But I think it's interesting that the conference decided to go that direction. Especially after the expansion direction they went with McNeese/UIW.

There must be one more shoe to drop in the WAC. Why would you add 2 schools in southwest and create unbalanced divisions (6 in the West 7 in the southwest) ? Unless you expected another WAC SW member to leave?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

There must be one more shoe to drop in the WAC. Why would you add 2 schools in southwest and create unbalanced divisions (6 in the West 7 in the southwest) ? Unless you expected another WAC SW member to leave?
Or two SW schools? I'm pretty sure Seattle is gonna head out so that'd be even more unbalanced.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Or two SW schools? I'm pretty sure Seattle is gonna head out so that'd be even more unbalanced.

Ya. I'm lost.
Kat1990
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/united-states-of-college-basketball-2021-22-where-every-team-ranks-in-each-state-from-top-to-bottom/
sfajack05
SFA_03 said:

As Ivey said in one interview, Football is a status thing. It's usually the first thing incoming freshmen see, draws the biggest crowds, and college football is generally considered the most popular college sport. They probably think they can elevate their already down athletic department by throwing a Hail Mary and adding football.
That being said, it's not for everyone and they absolutely shouldn't do this. It's gonna cost a fortune and recruiting for them will be a nightmare.
Lon Morris added football then shut down a few years later.
nacluth
We play Kansas, NMSU, and potentially Saint Louis who top their states as the best teams. Sam being 12 on the list I don't have any complaints about. I also don't mind them thinking we're 14 to start with. 8-9 is probably where we'll end up. And UTEP is way too high.
cboothe09
That was an epic disaster....I interned there when they made the announcement and got the ball rolling...Completely and totally unprepared
sfajack05
cboothe09 said:

That was an epic disaster....I interned there when they made the announcement and got the ball rolling...Completely and totally unprepared
I worked for a company that did some videos for them around 2008 to help promote the college then went into news and covered part of the closing. I remember them having to put students in hotels and that caused other issues.

It was a wreck from the beginning and just continued to snowball. Does suck that a Jack was in charge of it.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Kat1990 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/united-states-of-college-basketball-2021-22-where-every-team-ranks-in-each-state-from-top-to-bottom/

Prison Tech rated above SFA to start the season? That's just plain funny right there. But at least they don't have Angelina College rated ahead of us.
Kat1990
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kat1990 said:

Prison Tech rated above SFA to start the season? That's just plain funny right there.
I thought you Jacks might find this humorous
I actually did also
SFAJack_76
sfajack05 said:

cboothe09 said:

I worked for a company that did some videos for them around 2008 to help promote the college then went into news and covered part of the closing. I remember them having to put students in hotels and that caused other issues.

It was a wreck from the beginning and just continued to snowball. Does suck that a Jack was in charge of it.
Miles swung for the fences, and grounded into a game ending double play. He came out of it fine. Others, not so much.
No-look
Kat1990 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Kat1990 said:

Prison Tech rated above SFA to start the season? That's just plain funny right there.
I thought you Jacks might find this humorous
I actually did also
Good as any place to start….
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Even with a potential Seattle move to the WCC it would require sending one of the Texas schools to the west to have two divisions of 6. I still wonder what the play is with adding both McNeese and UIW unless the powers that be think McNeese is getting an invite to CUSA also.
nacluth
Lots of schools voting on realignment today. Here's an interesting article from the McNeese point of view.

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/11/05/waiting-on-a-response-wac-on-hold-as-mcneese-weighs-invitation/
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Lots of schools voting on realignment today. Here's an interesting article from the McNeese point of view.

https://www.americanpress.com/2021/11/05/waiting-on-a-response-wac-on-hold-as-mcneese-weighs-invitation/
I've seen some suggestions that McNeese "weighing the Wac offer" or supposing that UTEP/LaTech could be in play for the WAC is more about McNeese trying to sell a conference switch to its fans rather than actual intel.

However it is nice to see McNeese say it's angling for FBS football. A lot of McNeese fans keep telling me the money will be there. The hurricanes must have washed Lafitte's treasure onto shore and they're just keeping it on the downlow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.