THIS IS THE WAC

130,103 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kat1990
SFA_03 said:

It might just be me, but Eric Schmid has not looked as impressive this year as last year. His decision making snd accuracy seem to have taken a hit from last year. Against Dixie State they didn't need him to be good but he barely completed over 50% of his passes and threw only 1 td to 1 pick. SHSU is just so loaded that it doesn't seem to matter but still…
You are correct I think the concussions and hits have played a part in that
Kat1990
One of the things to look at is this and what it could mean for potential moves to FBS in the future
President White mentioned this at her press conference
FBS may change the rules at this convention in drastic manner
Also we could see the P5 become Tier 1
G5 Tier 2
FCS Tier 3
If that happens our hope is being tier 2 with playoff modeled on current FCS model

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/governance/ncaa/constitution/NCAAGov_DraftConstitution.pdf
nacluth
I would love that model if the top two teams from the lower tiers got promoted every year, and the bottom two from the upper tiers got relegated.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

I would love that model if the top two teams from the lower tiers got promoted every year, and the bottom two from the upper tiers got relegated.

We need to get to G5. I'm not confident that there is much future in FCS. I hope I'm wrong.
TallTexan
MTSU has decided to stay in CUSA.

WKU would reportedly take a MAC invite if offered but no one is sure whether or not they were a package deal.
Kat1990
Middle Tenn stayed so I would assume that WKU will based on MAC saying both of them for the deal to be done

https://mtsu.edu/president/post/1724/statement-from-president-sidney-a-mcphee-on-mtsu-conference-affiliation
nacluth
I don't think you're wrong. I think when (not really if) they go to a three tier system, it's going to be pretty fixed. Not any real up and downs like is happening right now with conference alignment. The P5 wants the money to stay up top, and stopping movement will be a key priority.
nacluth
Well I know the talk is all about FBS football, but with those two teams staying, CUSA is placing itself as a top mid major basketball conference.
TallTexan
Kat1990 said:

One of the things to look at is this and what it could mean for potential moves to FBS in the future
President White mentioned this at her press conference
FBS may change the rules at this convention in drastic manner
Also we could see the P5 become Tier 1
G5 Tier 2
FCS Tier 3
If that happens our hope is being tier 2 with playoff modeled on current FCS model

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/governance/ncaa/constitution/NCAAGov_DraftConstitution.pdf
Interestingly, one of the MTSU meetings from August mentioned a coming 40-50 team breakaway. But then again, everyone has talked about a P5 breakaway for as long as I can remember.

My sincere guess is that around 2035, when the ACC GOR runs out, the top teams in the P5 are going to create a single league. I think it will have the top 32 or so teams. It might go as high as 50. That league will have it's own NFL style playoffs.

Then teams 33-130 are going to need a home, which I think will be a 24 team FCS style playoff that also calls up the better FCS schools. G5 will likely have 8-10 conferences and an expanded playoff.

And TBH, that will be a heck of a lot more fun than today's G5.
Kat1990
nacluth said:

Well I know the talk is all about FBS football, but with those two teams staying, CUSA is placing itself as a top mid major basketball conference.
No doubt
It also is a strong in baseball with La Tech NM State Liberty and SHSU leading the way
WKU MTSU and FIU look to be 500 type clubs on quick look
Really big positive for the Conf with these 2 staying
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Hooten on going to a harder conference but not playing SFA:

nacluth
RichieVan
The MAC has announced they are staying at 12 teams and not expanding. Expansion was discussed but no vote was taken.
nacluth
Of course this means CUSA is a viable FBS conference without any more additions.
SFASawmillGuy
It's all gonna depend if they want to be back at the same number of members as before or if they're satisfied.
SFAJack_76
AxeEm99
When Sam leaves for FBS, I am really going to miss seeing Hooten lose his mind on the sidelines! That is the best part of the basketball games besides winning the game every year!!
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

When Sam leaves for FBS, I am really going to miss seeing Hooten lose his mind on the sidelines! That is the best part of the basketball games besides winning the game every year!!

We'll still be playing them in BBall.
Pilotgirl
AxeEm99 said:

The Hooten technicals are my favorite!
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

AxeEm99 said:

We'll still be playing them in BBall.
We'll still be beating them in basketball.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

AxeEm99 said:

The Hooten technicals are my favorite!
I would truly miss Hooten & Hollerin.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Great news for the WAC!

And awesome news for RGV.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAJack_76 said:

I guess we'll be seeing another Conque on the sidelines of Homer Bryce every other year.
SFAJack_76
Rumors abound about UIW to the WAC. Presumably, they will have meaningful contractural commitments to fulfill.
SFA Jack Fanatic
They can join Lamar in the WAC dumpster. But at least Lamar has facilities.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Rumors abound about UIW to the WAC. Presumably, they will have meaningful contractural commitments to fulfill.

Sounds like a done deal. Not pleased.
PurpleOut
Staff

PurpleOut
Staff
"Athletic success"

TallTexan
Death knells for the conference's ambition.
djsfw57
My opinion of the WAC just plummeted.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Lamar will be happy to have company in the cellars of all sports other than football.
BigJack85
Disappointing move. I'm sure the logic is to have teams that can move to FBS or have the desire to move to FBS. UIW has shown zero commitment ($$$) that is visible. No fan support. A few family members travel. Silly really. Silly. Better to make a bold move. Grab a Central Ok or someone with a little interest in being in the conference (fans).
SFAXE93
UIW SPORTS

FOOTBALL - SOLID
BASEBALL - SOLID
MEN'S BASKETBALL - 5 straight losing seasons
WOMEN'S BASKETBALL - 8 straight losing seasons
WOMEN'S SOCCER - 6 straight losing seasons until 2021.
SOFTBALL - 8 straight losing seasons
VOLLEYBALL - 12 straight losing seasons

Pretty much taking the role of departing Chicago State.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.