THIS IS THE WAC

130,078 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by SFAXE93
SFA88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

How much longer before the WAC becomes a Texas only conference?

Good question. Not sure where Utah Tech and SUU would go. Seattle is ripe for the WCC. CBU and GCU are stranded. So I don't know how this all plays out.

Let's not forget the GCU president was very involved with bringing in the Texas teams. I don't think UT, UVU, SUU, SU, and GCU are going to let the WAC become a Texas only conference. They serve on the board and they have a say.

What I do see happening is the WAC adding teams in the central time zone and maybe even in the eastern time zone. If that happens, centrally located offices make more sense than Denver.

Having said that, I do think GCU would jump at the chance to join the WCC or the Big East. I don't think those conferences want them, however. That could change but IMO it is several years away.

Edit: I'm not convinced the WCC would want Seattle. Much like Cal, Stanford, USC, and UCLA, some of those WCC schools are pretty full of themselves.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFASawmillGuy
They painted 2 teams that won't be there in 6 months.
SFA88
SFASawmillGuy said:

They painted 2 teams that won't be there in 6 months.
Maybe they are just magnetic stickers lol.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Remember we beat NMSU 2-1.
SFAXE93
And they won it all.

It just always goes to show, just get in the tournament where anything is possible.

SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

And they won it all.

It just always goes to show, just get in the tournament where anything is possible.

Exactly.

Different WAC sports have different tournament participants. While soccer had six, VB has eight. No idea why. No first round byes in Volleyball.
SFAXE93
UTAH TECH:48
SOUTHERN UTAH:36
FINAL

I think Tech has found their QB.

Gabalis 463 yards passing on 24 completions and 5 TDs.

That's 840 yards and 10 TD's in the last 2 games for Gabalis
SFASawmillGuy
Why do teams tend to find themselves against us?
SFAJack_76
Excellent!
nacluth
Incredible. That's impressive and a definite change from the Southland.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
Is that the UT money at work?
SFAJack_76
https://www.virtualbx.com/feature-story/edinburg-utrgv-athletics-set-to-invest-30-million-in-facilities-enhancements/
SFAXE93
I like this part, the soccer and track complex.

TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

I like this part, the soccer and track complex.

I would love to do this at SFA if we ever move bring in the stands at the footballs stadium.
SFAJack_76
I understand the appeal of the soccer/track facility. However, I have sat in the stands for SFA soccer matches and imagined a track between me and the pitch. Not a fan. Being close to the action is more appealing to me.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I understand the appeal of the soccer/track facility. However, I have sat in the stands for SFA soccer matches and imagined a track between me and the pitch. Not a fan. Being close to the action is more appealing to me.
You're right about that. It would add some distance that would be less than ideal.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
Mens basketball. Did some "back of the napkin" math. With NMSU and Sam Houston headed to CUSA, the WAC will be down to 11 teams. 6 in the west 5 in the southwest.

Forget about football for a minute. Consider approaching Oral Roberts. Currently a top 100 Sagarin team. With ORU you'd have a conference loaded with solid teams from top to about 7. GCU, Seattle, SUU, UVU, ACU, SFA and ORU. My guess is that the WAC would be a solid 15 or so in the Sagarin ratings.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Oral Roberts came to the Southland due to some courting, but they are a basketball school that has been cleaning up in their conference for decades. But they got to the Southland and were murdered by SFA and Sam and others. They left after two years when they realized they weren't making it back to the NCAA's anytime soon.

I don't see them going to another conference where they will be an also ran.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Oral Roberts came to the Southland due to some courting, but they are a basketball school that has been cleaning up in their conference for decades. But they got to the Southland and were murdered by SFA and Sam and others. They left after two years when they realized they weren't making it back to the NCAA's anytime soon.

I don't see them going to another conference where they will be an also ran.

I agree with you. I don't see it happening. Just saying that "IF" you could snag them the WAC has a pretty solid lineup in each side. Statistically ORU has been between a 100-150 RPI type team. That would put them (ORU) in the upper half of a conference that ranked #17 conference versus a Summit Conference that is ranked #22.

Spit balling. Disappointed in football. Trying to make WAC basketball, sexier.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAXE93

UTRGV prepares to launch its football program

The Vaqueros are looking to spend big to build a winning program in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2022/11/14/23457484/utrgv-vaqueros-football-program-head-coach-salary-budget-heb-park-stadium-edinburg

SFAXE93
Following the passage of a successful student referendum to increase athletic fees from $15 per credit hour to $26.25, Division I football is coming to the Rio Grande Valley soon.

Remember when SFA tried to do this with our athletic fees?
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Following the passage of a successful student referendum to increase athletic fees from $15 per credit hour to $26.25, Division I football is coming to the Rio Grande Valley soon.

Remember when SFA tried to do this with our athletic fees?
I would be shocked if the Texas Promise Program for tuition(applies to all RGV students who's families make under 125k) didn't help allieviate some of the cost concerns for students on the athletics fee.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

UTRGV prepares to launch its football program

The Vaqueros are looking to spend big to build a winning program in the Rio Grande Valley.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2022/11/14/23457484/utrgv-vaqueros-football-program-head-coach-salary-budget-heb-park-stadium-edinburg

Personally really excited for this. Idk how long we plan on staying in the WAC but another Texas rivalry and a trip to the valley will be good for the program.
SFAXE93
They just launched their football social media account.

SFAXE93
2022 WAC AVERAGE ATTENDANCE (% CAPACITY)

#1 TARLETON STATE 12,020 (50.08%)
#2 STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE 8,292 (56.89%)
#3 SAM HOUSTON STATE 7,611 (54.36%)
#4 ABILENE CHRISTIAN 7,418 (82.42%)
#5 SOUTHERN UTAH 4,805 (56.53%)
#6 UTAH TECH 3,954 (71.88%)

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-attendance-leaders-bzbz/?mibextid=Zxz2cZ&fbclid=IwAR0gxyupmZyXRJFt3SicvdjC1s9u4u2iklcaiz0qOllyo9ux41XEQ_dhtSA
SFAXE93
From a post on the ASUN board on CSNbbs today:

The way I understand it is, because the WAC was FBS before, the NCAA will allow them back to FBS provided they show continuity.

The way it has been explained to me is, the WAC and ASUN put football schools together in FCS for a few years (also to my understanding, the past two seasons will count). When Tarleton and Utah Tech complete their transitions, the WAC will accept all ASUN football schools as full members. At that point, the non football schools in the WAC will have found homes in other conferences (some going to the ASUN) at that point, a few more schools will(should) join the WAC.

Also to my understanding, it has to be called the WAC the duration of FCS to continue continuity.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-960076-pos...ml#pid18613848

So it would be

WAC Football Conference

ABILENE CHRISTIAN
AUSTIN PEAY
CENTRAL ARKANSAS
EASTERN KENTUCKY
NORTH ALABAMA
SOUTHERN UTAH
STEPHEN F. AUSTIN STATE
TARLETON STATE
UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS - RIO GRANDE VALLEY (2025)
UTAH TECH
nacluth
This sounds kind of ridiculous honestly. This is the wishful dream that forum boards are made of.
SFASawmillGuy
You laugh now but I'll be in my box seat at the 2030 CFP championship game watching our Lumberjacks beating the breaks off the Crimson Tide and you'll be at home eating crow.
Also this whiskey delicious.
SFAXE93
djsfw57
SFAXE93 said:

I just noticed that Sam is in last place so far. I'm sad.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Who is that lowly school at the bottom of the barrel? Does my heart good to see that!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.