THIS IS THE WAC

129,556 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We don't really have a catch all for news involving multiple sports, so I'll drop it here.

New names and upgrades for the WAC move.

New track surface, new turf, new names for basketball performance center rooms.

Ljacks&Longnecks
Worthy names on this list of people that have contributed much to SFA. Dr Carroll was a fine man and Dr who loved the Ladyjacks. The Greens have supported SFA for a lifetime. Coach Miller did a good job at SFA in his head coach tenure. Course some on this board may not have liked his slow playing style--much more Kasper like than what MBB looks like now but had his share of wins and conference titles.
cboothe09
Figured the turf would be done with the move to the WAC and needing to get that hideous SLC logo off the field...
SFAJack_76
cboothe09 said:

Figured the turf would be done with the move to the WAC and needing to get that hideous SLC logo off the field...
The turf is worn out. It required constant patching just to make it playable. Should have been replaced two or three years ago. Ivey also said they are also going to take the crown out. And, the conference logo.
cboothe09
I can't even imagine how bad it was. Looked rough enough on camera...

I'm not the biggest fan of the new logo at midfield, but not against it either...
SFA Jack Fanatic
Just think about all of the great things that have happened since Ivey took over. The man is a doer!
SFASawmillGuy
cboothe09 said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the new logo at midfield, but not against it either...

The new Logo is weird for me. It looks good for sports like tennis, golf, and track, but to me the old logo works better for football, baseball, and basketball. I wish we could still use both instead of trying to phase out the Texas logo.
SFAXE93
cboothe09 said:

Agree, I like the state of Texas logo on the field, but I'll take a new field.

I dig the new WAC logo!
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm 50/50 on the new logo on the field, I think it'll grow on me once we see it.

Unfortunately, my first reaction was disappointment because we are putting in a new track and not really any closer to a better football facility. But, it needed to be done do I get it. We can still dream.

Not mentioned, but I'm really excited to see what comes of the basketball court when we change out the logo. There was talks of adding some pine trees.
SFA Jack Fanatic
The WAC WBB Freshman of the Year, Katie Scott from Grand Canyon, is transferring to Tulsa. That's one that SFA WBB won't have to contend with.
Ljacks&Longnecks
New logo doesn't hold a candle to the SFA over Texas logo for my money. Guess I better stock up on shirts etc with the old logo.
New conference, new facilities yes but why drop a classic logo. Maybe I can hit the Mega Millions tonight and turn that into logo.naming rights.
SFAXE93
It will be missed.

Kind of part of our identity as Texans, something I know that I'm proud to be a part of.

Something you want to show off.

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I'm 50/50 on the new logo on the field, I think it'll grow on me once we see it.

Unfortunately, my first reaction was disappointment because we are putting in a new track and not really any closer to a better football facility. But, it needed to be done do I get it. We can still dream.

Not mentioned, but I'm really excited to see what comes of the basketball court when we change out the logo. There was talks of adding some pine trees.
As far as branding goes, I'm fine with adding the new logo to the field. Then you can put the old one on throwbacks, etc.

I'm 100% with you on splitting the track & football facilities asap, but we're probably a decade out from that i'd guess.
djsfw57
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

New logo doesn't hold a candle to the SFA over Texas logo for my money. Guess I better stock up on shirts etc with the old logo.
New conference, new facilities yes but why drop a classic logo. Maybe I can hit the Mega Millions tonight and turn that into logo.naming rights.
I guess I haven't seen the new logo. Can someone post it?
SFAXE93
Go to the Top of the page on the field picture, the SFA with an axe.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

As far as branding goes, I'm fine with adding the new logo to the field. Then you can put the old one on throwbacks, etc.

I'm 100% with you on splitting the track & football facilities asap, but we're probably a decade out from that i'd guess.

Back in 2015 or 2016 I remember having a conversation with a few very big people on the athletic department who told me that it was in the plans to move the track to the Intramural fields and do massive renovations to Homer Bryce stadium that would put the stands right up to the sideline. However the cost of that would've been astronomical, and they were worried that the construction would take too long. Apparently there was even talks for Nac High School's stadium to be the temporary home stadium if that was the case.
But those plans were under the old regime. I have no idea what, if any, current plans exist for the football facilities moving forward. Hopefully they keep removing the track in mind, but with the current track getting this redesign where it is, I highly doubt that.
SFAJack_76
The "old" logo is still the primary logo. I don't know who decides which logo to use where. I do know that Ivey likes big logos. (See A&M-Commerce football.) In case there is any confusion:
cboothe09
I do think the new wordmark would look amazing stretched across the end zones...
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

The "old" logo is still the primary logo. I don't know who decides which logo to use where. I do know that Ivey likes big logos. (See A&M-Commerce football.) In case there is any confusion:

As long as the "old" logo remains as the primary on most things, I'm good. Love that logo. The best logo in the best state in America. Anyway, why have the other logos if you're not going to use them anywhere?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFA_03 said:

TallTexan said:

PurpleOut said:

Back in 2015 or 2016 I remember having a conversation with a few very big people on the athletic department who told me that it was in the plans to move the track to the Intramural fields and do massive renovations to Homer Bryce stadium that would put the stands right up to the sideline. However the cost of that would've been astronomical, and they were worried that the construction would take too long. Apparently there was even talks for Nac High School's stadium to be the temporary home stadium if that was the case.
But those plans were under the old regime. I have no idea what, if any, current plans exist for the football facilities moving forward. Hopefully they keep removing the track in mind, but with the current track getting this redesign where it is, I highly doubt that.
Years before that I saw the actual plans of a new field house that came down over the current hill and over the current track. Similar to what you see at Texas State and a lot of places.

That was when Hill was the AD, and Branch was in charge of...too much. That was 2010ish, maybe earlier.

Going forward, I think that whatever plans that we put in place will come to fruition because we have a better AD, staff, and real fundraising capabilities.
TallTexan
Just some light googling, track surfaces tend to last for 8 to 15 years before needing a resurfacing.

Cost to resurface is around 100 to 250k depending on type.

Cost to build a nice new track from scratch is 1 million plus.

So my guess is that we're on a 10-15 year plan for football, especially if we go FBS.

I'd hazard a guess that a soccer locker room and more college level baseball/softball facilities are next on our list after basketball is finished.
PurpleOut
Staff
There is a lot going on here:
https://andywittry.substack.com/p/could-the-wac-which-officially-adds
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

There is a lot going on here:
https://andywittry.substack.com/p/could-the-wac-which-officially-adds

Wow that was a lot.

Of note:

Texas schools made a deal that Chicago State was leaving if they joined.

Moccia, the NMSU AD is the guy you call if you want a quote.

Seattle is a huge outlier and might be encouraged to look elsewhere rather than the WAC expanding to 14 teams. (I prefer this tbh).

TV deal is coming up. Looking at money of Flo Sports vs distribution of ESPN.
PurpleOut
Staff
It all makes total sense to me. There's a guy or two on Twitter trying to push the narrative that we (the Texas4) are being bullies by coming into a new league and then telling people to leave. But if it's best for Chicago State and Seatte to leave...then that benefits everyone. Everyone travels less, and everyone gets more money with fewer to split with.

My response was that it's very similar to a real world start up company. They've had success by doing what they know works. Now they want to grow and bring in new employees who are going to have new ideas and provide future growth. The old employees just need to take in the future and sometimes hard business decisions have to be made for the greater good.

TallTexan
Ya I find it hard to believe that NMSU and the other big wigs doesn't know what's going on in the conference.

And you're right. The last move was to save the WAC. This is the 'ok, let's take it up a few notches move".

Chicago state saw the writing on the wall and I'm sure Seattle is kicking the tires on other options. They had to have known when all the new invites were in Texas.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Misery loves company. Just like the Ladyjacks won the SLC regular season softball title and lost the tournament championship to McNeese, the same thing happened in the WAC. New Mexico State won the regular season and lost the conference tournament to Seattle.

Post-season conference tournaments are stupid and make no sense to me!

McNeese will play LSU in the Baton Rouge Regional and Seattle will play Michigan in the Seattle Regional.
SFA Jack Fanatic
To see who we may have to contend with in the near future in all sports, here are the WAC results so far this year, with only baseball remaining to be played.

https://wacsports.com/championships/2021championships
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Post-season conference tournaments are stupid and make no sense to me!
They're terrible for smaller conferences. You don't make a ton & you risk not sending your best team to postseason competition.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Call me crazy, but I've made my hotel reservation for the WAC BB tournaments in Vegas next March. I'm already rarin' to go!
nacluth
Now that is crazy...

Do you think they will give us group rates?
Pilotgirl
I have a great friend who lives in Vegas, so that will make the trip cheaper for me LOL
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93
Quite the switch from Katy to Vegas.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Nah... What does Vegas have that Katy doesn't?
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAXE93 said:

Nah... What does Vegas have that Katy doesn't?
Competent conference leadership?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.