THIS IS THE WAC

129,540 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan said:

Huuuuuggeeeee nnnnnneeeeeewwwwwsssss!

What makes this such Huuuuuggeeeee News, Texan? Did you just land that job? Did the current commissioner owe you money for gambling debts?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

"and in the midst of other potential membership changes"
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

"and in the midst of other potential membership changes"

Thanks, Big Jack. That little comment flew right over my head.
sfa17
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

What makes this such Huuuuuggeeeee News, Texan? Did you just land that job? Did the current commissioner owe you money for gambling debts?

I just really liked the guy. Seemed to be a bit more strategic than most.

And we all know how important top notch conference leadership is.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I just really liked the guy. Seemed to be a bit more strategic than most.

And we all know how important top notch conference leadership is.
We sure do, especially since there has been little to no leadership in the old conference.
nacluth
You know it's official with the forum name change!
sfa17
No-look
sfa17 said:

averaged 3.3 points and 2.8 rebounds last year. Nothing to get unnerved about. A good pick up never the less.
SFAXE93

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

It has been a whirlwind few weeks for Carthel. He's a hardworking dude, getting the SFA brand out across much of Texas. Glad we have him!
SFAXE93
Barring mass injuries, I have the feeling this is going to be a special season to remember.

The pieces are in place in the coaches, personal, depth, and experience, now it is time to go out there and execute.

Axe'Em
SFASawmillGuy
That's the thing. Obviously we can't afford to lose a key spot like QB or anything, but we have depth now, which is something we just haven't been able to build this past decade. We are deep pretty much everywhere, and have experience where it matters.
I hate to use UIW's saying from a couple seasons ago, but we're flying in stealth mode this year. Unless you actually watched SFA play last season, you don't know the improvement. As of right now, if we opened against NDSU in Fargo I'd be pumped up. Not saying we'd win, but I think this team thinks they would. And that's something special.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
WAC-ASUN Challenge: Preseason Power Rankings

https://www.itemonline.com/sports/wac-asun-challenge-preseason-power-rankings/article_b7192402-ee5f-11eb-8265-6b0db4a37847.html
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
I think that's pretty fair and accurate, right now.
SFAXE93
2021 WAC Media Day Starts at 9:30 A.M. with ACU starting things off.

https://www.wacdigitalnetwork.com
PurpleOut
Staff
Also a reminder that the WAC Digital Network also has an app that you can download on most devices.
TallTexan
If y'all aren't watching the SFA presser you are missing out.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Couldn't get the WAC app on Roku to work, but I quickly pivoted to the WAC website and watched SFA's interview. Carthel was great (and funny), as usual, and our two players made very impressive contributions. Nice job by all.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pretty solid.

Carthel calling his wife the luckiest woman in the world (in reference to his shirtless celebration) was the highlight for me.

If it's not yet, it at some point should be available on the WAC Digital Network On-Demand section.
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

Pretty solid.

Carthel calling his wife the luckiest woman in the world (in reference to his shirtless celebration) was the highlight for me.

If it's not yet, it at some point should be available on the WAC Digital Network On-Demand section.

I died laughing when he said maybe he should have been a Chippendales dancer.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

If y'all aren't watching the SFA presser you are missing out.

Watched it. As usual Carthel is exceptional.
SFAXE93
Sam Houston State (FCS - TX): Per source, Micheal O'Guin Jr, a former graduate assistant at Norte Dame WKU, has accepted the defensive line position at Sam Houston State.
SFASawmillGuy
Sad he's gonna have to lose every year to Carthel.
SFASawmillGuy
TallTexan
Lots of interesting news.

TallTexan
TallTexan said:

Lots of interesting news.

I'll give a short synopsis of things in there that could affect us in the long run.

Sunbelt is apparently not terribly happy with their two non football members, UT Arlington & Little Rock. As Matt has previously reported, Arlington has been linked to Missouri Valley Conference. Little Rock has asked around.

Conference USA is somewhat unhappy, but they're large enough/old enough that if they split into two conferences, both would have an autobid.

Southland is likely going to raid the lone star.

WAC expansion is not imminent. They would like McNeese, but ASUN might also want McNeese.

Rumor has it that Austin Peay is also evaluating different conference options, but they're thought not to be a likely candidate for ASUN/WAC.
SFASawmillGuy
The ASUN is much more likely to get McNeese than the WAC. Just geographically it makes sense.
I think Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, or maybe West Texas A&M is most likely.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

The ASUN is much more likely to get McNeese than the WAC. Just geographically it makes sense.
I think Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, or maybe West Texas A&M is most likely.
Northern Colorado makes the most sense to me.

I think NAU is happy. West Texas would be a bummer. Got enough D2s as it is.
BigJack85
SFA_03 said:

I agree. I hope it's one of those three if McNeese isn't in the mix. I really enjoy the football culture at McNeese
TallTexan
Some cool data on fanbases on a county by county basis.

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/matt.sorenson/viz/CollegeFootballFollowerMap/CollegeFootballMap
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/matt.sorenson/viz/CollegeFootballFollowerMap/CollegeFootballMap
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought deep E. Texas was that heavy LSU. There are a lot of aggies in Angelina County, but no way they should outnumber SFA. There are a lot of alums, just not enough engaged.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought deep E. Texas was that heavy LSU. There are a lot of aggies in Angelina County, but no way they should outnumber SFA. There are a lot of alums, just not enough engaged.
Admittedly, I believe this is twitter data, so it probably skews younger and a little more inaccurate than perhaps polling the county as a whole.

The cool thing about having the data is as a barometer. There are areas where SFA should try to boost themselves into that 'first of mind" spot for local college football.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.