THIS IS THE WAC

129,853 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by SFAXE93
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Should be a good year for Keller.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Should be a good year for Keller.

I think so. We need at least 1 solid big, 6'8" version of Kensmil.
No-look
One would think there would be a couple on the radar. Keller mentioned earlier that to compete in the WAC you have to have some size. Not sure how many spots will be open.
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

Interesting hire. Surprised someone got hired off that LSU staff tbh.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

sfa17 said:

Interesting hire. Surprised someone got hired off that LSU staff tbh.
He's got plenty of baggage by virtue of working with 2 coaches who have terrible reps. Hope he didn't learn everything from them.
TallTexan
Good point. i forgot about Wichita State too.
No-look
I see where Jabarri Rice has entered the transfer portal.
No-look
With Rice, McCants and Teddy Allen gone the new NMS coach will have to fill some big shoes.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
I think we've talked about what UTRGV has for baseball, but I again love what they've done. What they've done with the outfield decking and tents is amazing. Very jealous.
SFASawmillGuy
PurpleOut said:

I honestly can't wait for them to get football. So much potential for UTRGV athletics to help with the growth of the conference. Unfortunately I think we won't be around in the WAC long enough to enjoy it.
No-look
Been a lot of street talk about the WAC. I'm wondering how long we will be there
BigJack85
No-look said:

Been a lot of street talk about the WAC. I'm wondering how long we will be there

Interesting. The story I read said that UT Arlington picked the WAC over a couple of other options. That says something to me. Regardless, moving from the 31st ranked MBB conference to the 18th ranked conference is an important move forward.

The only logical/realistic place for us to "get an invite" is CUSA. CUSA was ranked 10 last year. Adding NMSU, then us would possibly move us up to 9. That's pretty solid.
SFASawmillGuy
BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

Interesting. The story I read said that UT Arlington picked the WAC over a couple of other options. That says something to me. Regardless, moving from the 31st ranked MBB conference to the 18th ranked conference is an important move forward.

The only logical/realistic place for us to "get an invite" is CUSA. CUSA was ranked 10 last year. Adding NMSU, then us would possibly move us up to 9. That's pretty solid.

C-USA announced a couple of weeks ago via Twitter they would be adding at least 2 more schools in the coming months, and just going through the rumor mill it looks like us, Tarleton, and Kennesaw State are the favorites.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

C-USA announced a couple of weeks ago via Twitter they would be adding at least 2 more schools in the coming months, and just going through the rumor mill it looks like us, Tarleton, and Kennesaw State are the favorites.

The money isn't great but it's a quantum leap from the SLC. Maybe enough to fund a true baseball program.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think the WAC is the right spot for us right now, for at least a few more years. I don't like a possible move to FBS yet, I just don't think that we're ready and I'm afraid it will have a negative effect if we do it too quickly.

I do understand though that there may not be the possibility to pass up an opportunity now if it arises.
TallTexan
Ummm.....this is unexpected.

PurpleOut
Staff
Well today has really escalated.

This might be another domino for us to go now (if we have the invite).

No NMSU
No Sam
No Lamar (who cares but one less Texas team)
+ UIW

BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

No NMSU
No Sam
+ UIW

Zzzzzzzzzzzz
TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

No NMSU
No Sam
+ UIW

I'm with you in that winning at the FCS level in football would better position us for a good FBS future.

But at the same time, hard to turn down conference that would have us, Sam, La Tech, NMSU, & UTEP in its western division.
SFASawmillGuy
If the offer comes no way Ivey says no. The BOTPW can continue. We can start a very heavily hate fueled NMSU rivalry. I trust Carthel to make us winners at whatever level of football we play at.
Would it be a bummer to more than likely never get a legit football national title trip? Absolutely. But you can't deny the value of a small FBS school having a Boise State(in the early years), Coastal Carolina, or UTSA type of run. The national media loves an underdog, and when those kinds of schools did that it was a lot more attention than the FCS playoffs could ever produce.
SFASawmillGuy
SFASawmillGuy said:

If the offer comes no way Ivey says no. The BOTPW can continue. We can start a very heavily hate fueled NMSU rivalry. I trust Carthel to make us winners at whatever level of football we play at.
Would it be a bummer to more than likely never get a legit football national title trip? Absolutely. But you can't deny the value of a small FBS school having a Boise State(in the early years), Coastal Carolina, or UTSA type of run. The national media loves an underdog, and when those kinds of schools did that it was a lot more attention than the FCS playoffs could ever produce.

Honestly an FBS jump would probably help us keep Carthel a little longer. I don't see him staying an FCS coach long after we win the 2022 FCS national title.
SFAJack_76
To go FBS/CUSA, we need a massive capital influx. Homer Bryce is in serious need of upgrade. The field house is absolute crap. Space for trainers and academics is horribly short. They have the termites reasonably under control, but haven't solved the copperhead issue yet. Tennis is okay. Soccer is now up to mediocre. Volleyball is okay, but needs more space for the student athletes. Beach is like indoor. Softball and baseball are the worst in the WAC. Bowling and golf have no facilities. T&F doesn't have locker rooms. Pole vaulters practice in Jacksonville. An indoor practice facility is badly needed.

$50 to $100 million gets us competitive.
SFASawmillGuy
Guess it's a good thing SFA is about to be up to $100 million on that elevate SFA program.

Homer Bryce has been in need of a serious upgrade for some time regardless of where we go, FCS or FBS. A jump would force the athletic department to do something about it and get it done. The FBS would give us potentially 3-4 money games a year, meaning we would make a ton of money really fast if we scheduled right.

Does that mean some beatings? Yes, more than likely it does, but the goal associated with it might be worth the few years of being down again in football.

Basketball wise it would be an upgrade yet again. If we weren't losing NMSU and Sam I would say the WAC is just as good but because of that the WAC is gonna drop to being essentially no better than the Southland was.

I'd rather have rivalries with Sam, NMSU, UTEP, and LaTech than dominate a conference with UIW in it.
nacluth
Well that Elevate money is mainly already gone, so don't get your hopes up about that. WAC will still be a good step up in basketball without NMSU and Sam, but UIW is no help. Exchanging Lamar for UIW seems like a one to one replacement to me.

The WAC isn't going to be as strong in football as the Southland without Sam, but maybe it will mean some decent years for SFA. I don't see how FBS seems a logical choice. The basketball teams and volleyball seem like the only teams that are really ready for a C-USA move.
BigJack85
SFASawmillGuy said:

Guess it's a good thing SFA is about to be up to $100 million on that elevate SFA program.

Homer Bryce has been in need of a serious upgrade for some time regardless of where we go, FCS or FBS. A jump would force the athletic department to do something about it and get it done. The FBS would give us potentially 3-4 money games a year, meaning we would make a ton of money really fast if we scheduled right.

Does that mean some beatings? Yes, more than likely it does, but the goal associated with it might be worth the few years of being down again in football.

Basketball wise it would be an upgrade yet again. If we weren't losing NMSU and Sam I would say the WAC is just as good but because of that the WAC is gonna drop to being essentially no better than the Southland was.

I'd rather have rivalries with Sam, NMSU, UTEP, and LaTech than dominate a conference with UIW in it.

Part of the $$$ play is bigger paychecks "bodybag" games. As an FBS school you are more likely to grab a date with Alabama or other big time programs. That would have to be part of the calculation. Wouldn't it?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

To go FBS/CUSA, we need a massive capital influx. Homer Bryce is in serious need of upgrade. The field house is absolute crap. Space for trainers and academics is horribly short. They have the termites reasonably under control, but haven't solved the copperhead issue yet. Tennis is okay. Soccer is now up to mediocre. Volleyball is okay, but needs more space for the student athletes. Beach is like indoor. Softball and baseball are the worst in the WAC. Bowling and golf have no facilities. T&F doesn't have locker rooms. Pole vaulters practice in Jacksonville. An indoor practice facility is badly needed.

I think we get there. But it will be a brick at a time. Like everything at SFA. A few high profile sports will get the vast majority of the attention. Soccer , unfortunately is still an orphan. Volleyball has a good set up IMHO. The initial investment would have to be field house. Of course. Then I would guess the battle would be between baseball and track and field for who gets some attention.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Well that Elevate money is mainly already gone, so don't get your hopes up about that. WAC will still be a good step up in basketball without NMSU and Sam, but UIW is no help. Exchanging Lamar for UIW seems like a one to one replacement to me.

The WAC isn't going to be as strong in football as the Southland without Sam, but maybe it will mean some decent years for SFA. I don't see how FBS seems a logical choice. The basketball teams and volleyball seem like the only teams that are really ready for a C-USA move.

I agree. The good news is that "everything is relative". We have had solid results (in general) against the CUSA and comparable conferences. I say "in general". We would clearly need some new private money to gush into the fieldhouse and other facilities. Namely baseball and track and field. I think we can live with what we have for soccer and tennis for the short term.
Ljacks&Longnecks
76 is correct about the need for a massive influx of money to make FBS feasible. Just where is all this $$$ going to come from??? Not Nacogdoches or most of East Tx.

Some mention money games and "beatings" if football goes FBS Again I point out Texas St 36-84 record from 2012-2021 in football and their last 3 years are among the worst. The student body hardly supports SFA athletics now so when football goes 3-8, 4-7 for several years the cry of "we suck at football" will ring loud. Also the teams in ConUSA are still not going to draw any attention from the average SFA fan as far as attendance since there is no real names schools in said conference. Basketball may be closer to competitive if we move but would still require a few giant steps forward to stay relative and keep some name recognition out there.

Ivey and company will do whatever they are going to do....the road to success will be a long haul for several of our sports, some perhaps never making it. I'll support SFA whatever and wherever they compete but I see FBS as a move we are not ready for at this time.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

76 is correct about the need for a massive influx of money to make FBS feasible. Just where is all this $$$ going to come from??? Not Nacogdoches or most of East Tx.

Some mention money games and "beatings" if football goes FBS Again I point out Texas St 36-84 record from 2012-2021 in football and their last 3 years are among the worst. The student body hardly supports SFA athletics now so when football goes 3-8, 4-7 for several years the cry of "we suck at football" will ring loud. Also the teams in ConUSA are still not going to draw any attention from the average SFA fan as far as attendance since there is no real names schools in said conference. Basketball may be closer to competitive if we move but would still require a few giant steps forward to stay relative and keep some name recognition out there.

Ivey and company will do whatever they are going to do....the road to success will be a long haul for several of our sports, some perhaps never making it. I'll support SFA whatever and wherever they compete but I see FBS as a move we are not ready for at this time.

The ncaa constitution is going to hand an enormous amount of voting authority to FBS schools. The fissure is already beginning between FBS/FCS and the balance of D1 non scholarship football. Our MBB program will be hurt by this.

The economics that drive this move are built around larger target markets like Houston and Dallas where we have eyeballs. My guess is that the initial investments will seem insufficient initially. But down the road we can make this a success. I was a young adult when SFA made the transition to D1 FCS (1aa) Many have suggested that SFA should have been more aggressive then. I don't think anyone knows for sure how the benefits play out, but my guess is that we help our overall lot and improve cash flow along the way. There will pain. Always is.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

COPPERHEAD issue????? After hearing that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be going to a football game there.
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

COPPERHEAD issue????? After hearing that, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be going to a football game there.
Just stay away from the field house and you will be fine.

Maybe.
No-look
Do they mention the copperhead issue to new potential recruits? Lol
Pilotgirl
Well, at least you won't come across this thing:
https://vm.tiktok.com/TTPd9ybdDJ/
SFASawmillGuy
Carthel actually chose not to get rid of the copperheads because they help the players during sprints. How do you think Gipson got so fast?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.