THIS IS THE WAC

126,368 Views | 1025 Replies | Last: 20 hrs ago by BigJack85
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Burnett is a clown. Has he made any type of public statement or appearance in the last 4-5 years other than when we make the NCAA Tournament?

Quote:

Burnett said he's heard talk about departing schools questioning the athletic commitment of others, but feels the remaining schools would push back at it.

Said Burnett: "Who's not committed - Nicholls? Nicholls has won our last two championships. Who's not committed - UIW? UIW went to the playoffs a couple years ago and shared a championship. So when people point those fingers about not being committed, what are they really talking about? Everybody in this conference is committed to a championship expectation.

"If you don't think they're committed, bring your football team to one of our stadiums. We'll take our chances."
ONE shared title in ONE season is commitment? Proving our point here bud.

Hey Commissioner, you want to see what commitment looks like?

TallTexan
Ya that was ridiculous. They've been asleep at the wheel for years and then want to act like the also rans they invited are committed.

Sure, they're all as committed as Nicholls who doesn't go to play postseason sports unless it's an auto bid. They don't want to get better.

The GCU president showed more vision in a 5 minute speech today than the SLC leadership has done in a decade.
CertifiedAxeman98
Commitment means putting your money where your mouth is. You can say Nicholls is committed but when you pay your head basketball coach $100k you not committed long term that's why Richie Riley left so quick after having success. You can't pay a head coach that is successful what others pay assistants and expect them to stay.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Ya that was ridiculous. They've been asleep at the wheel for years and then want to act like the also rans they invited are committed.

Sure, they're all as committed as Nicholls who doesn't go to play postseason sports unless it's an auto bid. They don't want to get better.

The GCU president showed more vision in a 5 minute speech today than the SLC leadership has done in a decade.

To me commitment is putting effort into more than football and basketball. More and more we've seen the SLC 8 (my term lol) spend money on football and MBB at the expense of most of the other sports. The results are predictable . A few schools that bust through (Nicholls/ UIW) in football but rarely are competitive in the smaller sports. Bummer. Not well rounded.
PurpleOut
Staff
Commissioners Cup standings from previous years:

UIW:

2019-2020: 10th
2018-2019: 6th
2017-2018: 8th
2016-2017: 10th
2015-2016: 8th
2014-2015: 12th

Nicholls:

2019-2020: 11th
2018-2019: 12th
2017-2018: 12th
2016-2017: 12th
2015-2016: 12th
2014-2015: 11th

Tell me more about their commitment? Luckily UNO was there to save the day for Nicholls from not being dead last as an athletic department when they won a football title.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98
What I like about the move to the WAC is that the Texas 4 did it together. I have said for a long time that if SFA moves to another conference they should move with Sam. Not only is there a long standing rivalry there but what I see now with the Texas 4 is that they are stronger together. I believe that the Texas 4 will be in a strong position in the WAC going forward to help shape the conference. I think there are several in the WAC that have the same vision that we do based on what I have seen so far.

Given that the Texas 4 recruited Southern Utah to the WAC I would expect the Texas 4 to have a big impact on the next school that joins and may even be hand picked the 14th school.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

I hope the "football" add is very strategic. To me that means we are saturated in Texas. Let's add a N Arizona or N Colorado (if they are willing). Last choice would be Central OK. These schools all have the heft to move to the WAC. Central OK is the only one that isn't D1.
CertifiedAxeman98
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

To me commitment is putting effort into more than football and basketball. More and more we've seen the SLC 8 (my term lol) spend money on football and MBB at the expense of most of the other sports. The results are predictable . A few schools that bust through (Nicholls/ UIW) in football but rarely are competitive in the smaller sports. Bummer. Not well rounded.
Divorce can be messy. Finger pointing and blame games all around with this split. In the statement released by the Southland they want to take all the credit for the Texas 4 success. I would say we were successful in spite of the SLC.

I am sure the rest of the schools left are upset that the top 5 schools in the conference are bailing on the Southland and pointing fingers. It seems that the split from the Southland has become messy so better that we leave this summer than stick around another year. Pull the Band-Aid off already.

For those staying in the Southland I hope they put on pressure on the league to step things up and put people in position that can actually move the conference forward. It should be a wakeup call because this is just the beginning of conference realignment they could lose more schools in the future as TV deals get close to rolling for larger conferences.
CertifiedAxeman98
Chicago State's statement on their departure from the WAC in June 2022.

https://www.gocsucougars.com/documents/2021/1/14/Chicago_State_University_Announces_Plan_to_Leave_Western_Athletic_Conference_in_June_2022_FAQ.pdf
cboothe09
This move was about more than competitive balance. Yes Nicholls won the conference and has built a recently successful football program. UIW had a great year, but that isn't all this was about.

This is about HBU promising to improve their facilities, not doing so, and not being held accountable.
This is about Nicholls turning down a spot in the NIT because they couldn't afford to travel.

The schools were committed to trying to win. I honestly believe that. I also think they were committed to winning on a shoe string budget. None of these schools were willing to invest in their programs like the Texas 4 were willing to. They weren't willing to put in the time and money to help grow the SLC into something more than a punchline.

That is what this was about...
CertifiedAxeman98
Not sure if this has been posted here or not.

https://www.wacsports.com/expansion/index
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

This move was about more than competitive balance. Yes Nicholls won the conference and has built a recently successful football program. UIW had a great year, but that isn't all this was about.

This is about HBU promising to improve their facilities, not doing so, and not being held accountable.
This is about Nicholls turning down a spot in the NIT because they couldn't afford to travel.

The schools were committed to trying to win. I honestly believe that. I also think they were committed to winning on a shoe string budget. None of these schools were willing to invest in their programs like the Texas 4 were willing to. They weren't willing to put in the time and money to help grow the SLC into something more than a punchline.

That is what this was about...

Well said.

Also, a whole new class of peers gives us another bar to aim for. We've swapped our best competitive peers from being Sam and NWST to NMSU. That's big as Ivey and Gordon go out to chase donations and sell dreams.

Can't get complacent at the top when you've given yourself a better hill to climb.
CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut
Staff
I just took a look and saw the Southland app has two games this weekend. Who knew? I've never once seen them tweet or market the network in the last 2-3 years.

Meanwhile:
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Interesting. I could see it being a WAC asset in the future bc going to FBS means adding more women's athletic opportunities.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Interesting. I could see it being a WAC asset in the future bc going to FBS means adding more women's athletic opportunities.
Since SFA and Sam are the only two SLC teams in the eight team Southland Bowling League, it makes sense that it ceases to exist. Does the WAC, or some other conference pick it up?

Beach volleyball is different since Sam and Lamar don't have teams, yet. No idea where that one is going. Side note, we have yet to play a home match. All twelve matches played before the shutdown were on the road.
SFAJack_76
sfa17
https://open.spotify.com/episode/5aKtdjktiWj7Da9Idwn4P6?si=ewf0n0E7TbuRBEtA7y8gjw

SLC/WAC talk starts at beginning of pod.
sfa17
https://csnbbs.com/post-17221057.html#pid17221057

Really interesting WAC forum conversations unlike SLC , there are discussions or conspiracies theories from NMSU fans about the Texas 4 plaining on leaving the wac to a better conference (fbs) lol

" However by doing so one or more of the Texas 4 would also have positioned themselves to be potentially more attractive candidates than NMSU to join the Sun Belt or CUSA if either conference had a reason to expand in the next few years. This could happen if the Sun Belt decided to add a couple of Texas members to fill in the geographic gap between Louisiana Lafayette and Texas State, or if the MWC lost Boise State to the AAC and backfilled with one to three Texas CUSA members and CUSA wanted replacements, or if some other realignment earthquake came along."

" Having said that, I wouldn't be worried that all of the Texas WAC members might leave en masse to join another conference or start their own conference."

SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

https://csnbbs.com/post-17221057.html#pid17221057

Really interesting WAC forum conversations unlike SLC , there are discussions or conspiracies theories from NMSU fans about the Texas 4 plaining on leaving the wac to a better conference (fbs) lol

" However by doing so one or more of the Texas 4 would also have positioned themselves to be potentially more attractive candidates than NMSU to join the Sun Belt or CUSA if either conference had a reason to expand in the next few years. This could happen if the Sun Belt decided to add a couple of Texas members to fill in the geographic gap between Louisiana Lafayette and Texas State, or if the MWC lost Boise State to the AAC and backfilled with one to three Texas CUSA members and CUSA wanted replacements, or if some other realignment earthquake came along."

" Having said that, I wouldn't be worried that all of the Texas WAC members might leave en masse to join another conference or start their own conference."

Wow. That's a mouthful of conspiracies rolled into one paragraph. Our future has already been spelled out for us. And yet none of the "Texas 4" has even played a WAC game yet. Amazing!
sfa17
Yeah, we are not even in the WAC yet, but somehow we are plaining on leaving.
SFAJack_76
Haven't gotten there yet, and already we are big brother calling the shots.

I started working through that 90 page thread. Almost stopped on page one when "UIW would be good" was posted. They have one or more posters that have visited this forum. Some of the "WAC would be a bad move" comments were referred to, and mocking the we should hold out for a better conference posts.
BigJack85
I don't know if this comment should be filed under Southland and the NCAA or basketball? Here goes. One bit of confirmation that the SLC brain trust had an idea that UIW and HBU would bring any kind of media coverage was a complete and total mirage. I looked for a SFA vs UIW write up in the primary print/digital source "San Antonio Express News" sports section. Nothing NADA ZIP. Just more evidence that the farcical additions were step one in the year by year dissolution of the Southland.
sfa17
Yeah they just heard the word "Houston" and "San Antonio" then everything else went out the window.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I don't know if this comment should be filed under Southland and the NCAA or basketball? Here goes. One bit of confirmation that the SLC brain trust had an idea that UIW and HBU would bring any kind of media coverage was a complete and total mirage. I looked for a SFA vs UIW write up in the primary print/digital source "San Antonio Express News" sports section. Nothing NADA ZIP. Just more evidence that the farcical additions were step one in the year by year dissolution of the Southland.
This should probably be high on the consideration list for any new schools.

If you don't get good coverage in your area, you're simply not gonna be a good add.
BigJack85
I believe that Nacogdoches Huntsville Stephenville are unique markets. So dominated by their college presence, they offer a unique and significant form of advertising. Not raw numbers but loyal base. They all have significant alumni bases in Dallas Houston Austin and San Antonio. Double bonus.
TallTexan
SFAXE93
Good Read on the plan

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-wa-cs-return-in-football-lead-to-a-revival-of-the-glory-days-023123013.html
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

Good Read on the plan

https://sports.yahoo.com/will-wa-cs-return-in-football-lead-to-a-revival-of-the-glory-days-023123013.html

Yes, a good read, but it didn't say anything that we didn't already know. But coming from Yahoo, it helps to get the word out to the country about the rebirth of the WAC, which is good for us.
BigJack85
One thing the WAC has going for it. The brand name still carries some weight. Just the legacy has some value. If we can build a tight knit, focused conference with reasonable regional boundaries (don't turn into a CUSA). Own the slice that we can carve out.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Rumors. I do know February 1, is the deadline.
SFASawmillGuy
The WAC will already have its auto bid.
Unless somethings changed, Tarleton and Dixie will have a waiver making them eligible and making it 6 football schools in the WAC for the 2021 season. If not all WAC schools will essentially play an independent season without an auto bid, but will still be eligible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.