THIS IS THE WAC

126,329 Views | 1025 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by BigJack85
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
This is interesting

Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

This is interesting

So...I think it is lack of playing time (or that is what I heard/suspect from earlier in the season).
PurpleOut
Staff
sfa17

2 former top 100 recruit
sfa17
Move to WAC will net Lumberjacks $258K

Article is behind a paywall so I don't have all the info ..

" Joining the Western Athletic Conference made solid financial sense for Stephen F. Austin State University despite increased travel for men's and women's basketball teams, Athletic Director Ryan Ivey told members of the Nacogdoches Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

The university stands to net around $258,000 by moving from the Southland Conference to the WAC at the end of the academic year, Ivey said."

https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local/article_6d9d37b1-c674-5d8f-b42f-84250865862d.html
BigJack85
I read the entire article. Nothing startling about it. More intra-division travel = lower expenses. Add in an actual distribution ... magic.
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

Move to WAC will net Lumberjacks $258K

Article is behind a paywall so I don't have all the info ..

" Joining the Western Athletic Conference made solid financial sense for Stephen F. Austin State University despite increased travel for men's and women's basketball teams, Athletic Director Ryan Ivey told members of the Nacogdoches Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

The university stands to net around $258,000 by moving from the Southland Conference to the WAC at the end of the academic year, Ivey said."

https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local/article_6d9d37b1-c674-5d8f-b42f-84250865862d.html

I hope they take a chunk of that in year 1 and apply it to our coaches to entice them to hang around longer. Earnings in later years could be applied elsewhere as needed.
PurpleOut
Staff
Missed this yesterday, former SFA Assistant and Purdue Assistant Steve Lutz is set to be hired for the job in Corpus.

https://goislanders.com/news/2021/4/6/mens-basketball-am-corpus-christi-announces-steve-lutz-as-sole-finalist-for-head-mens-basketball-coach.aspx
sfa17
GCU Not playing any games
Nebraska transfer but his #s weren't that impressive but good at rebounding.

He averaged 5.7 points and a team-high 6.3 rebounds per game

Also in Top 2 for Jalen House - possibly another Arizona Transfer for them

TallTexan
I hope the Texas 4 have enough sense to nuke this UIW nonsense.

They're are a horrible sports school and spend as sparingly as all the schools we're leaving.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/the-latest-on-d-1-conference-realignment
TallTexan
Also, check out MB's article for rumors on the Southland raiding the SWAC and the MVC looking for southern/Texas schools in major metros.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

I hope the Texas 4 have enough sense to nuke this UIW nonsense.

They're are a horrible sports school and spend as sparingly as all the schools we're leaving.

https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/the-latest-on-d-1-conference-realignment
I'd be more than a little upset if UIW moved to the WAC. We are supposed to be moving UP, and that would definitely hurt.
TallTexan
You only need to look at their basketball attendance to know they wouldn't fit.

317 fans a game for the 19-20 season. That's socially distanced seating well before the pandemic.

There football team averages what our basketball team does.

It's a joke from a sports perspective.
SFAJack_76
Don't lose sleep over the UIW rumors. I get the angst, but the WAC is not the SLC.
SFA Jack Fanatic
"San Antonio would be an attractive market". HA! We've heard that one before. No reason to think that San Antonio would suddenly start supporting this loser of an athletic program.
cboothe09
I guess I'm in the minority of those that see potential in UIW. I'm not saying add them, but hold on to that phone number.

Of course, if I'm after the San Antonio market I want UTSA first and foremost. Texas State is also a better option that can pull a little from SA, but talent wise UIW is getting there. Facilities are what is needed. I need more than a commitment from them if the WAC was to invite. I'd need to SEE improvement first...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

I guess I'm in the minority of those that see potential in UIW. I'm not saying add them, but hold on to that phone number.

Of course, if I'm after the San Antonio market I want UTSA first and foremost. Texas State is also a better option that can pull a little from SA, but talent wise UIW is getting there. Facilities are what is needed. I need more than a commitment from them if the WAC was to invite. I'd need to SEE improvement first...
I mean I definitely see the potential. But it's squandered potential and there's no reason to let the WAC be their proving ground if they won't spend money in the SLC.

I'd be more than happy to take UIW in 3 or 4 years if they get it together and invest in their own programs.
cboothe09
Absolutely. Not going to add them on promise and hope. Thats what the SLC did with HBU and UIW and it backfired. If UIW wants to join, they have to step up and do something first...
TallTexan
cboothe09 said:

Absolutely. Not going to add them on promise and hope. Thats what the SLC did with HBU and UIW and it backfired. If UIW wants to join, they have to step up and do something first...

Good point. They've already burned us once.
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

PurpleOut said:

This is interesting

So...I think it is lack of playing time (or that is what I heard/suspect from earlier in the season).

Reunites with his brother...but moves down to D2...ummm, ok.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

"San Antonio would be an attractive market". HA! We've heard that one before. No reason to think that San Antonio would suddenly start supporting this loser of an athletic program.

Honestly I'd rather us take Midwestern State over UIW. Yes it's another D2 school, but Wichita Falls unlike San Antonio actually supports its college. I lived very close to Wichita Falls for 18 years an attended a number of MSU games, and those guys love that team.
It's a slept on school that will make a quality D1 program, but this is also just me saying no to UIW.
TallTexan
SFA_03 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Honestly I'd rather us take Midwestern State over UIW. Yes it's another D2 school, but Wichita Falls unlike San Antonio actually supports its college. I lived very close to Wichita Falls for 18 years an attended a number of MSU games, and those guys love that team.
It's a slept on school that will make a quality D1 program, but this is also just me saying no to UIW.

It's a good point. Big cities are a blessing, but mostly a curse for small schools.

UIW could spend 40 mil a year and still not find support in SATX.
SFASawmillGuy
San Antonio maybe just doesn't have good sports fans too. They really only have the Spurs, and I feel like most of their fans are Texas residents not from Houston or the Dallas area instead of just SA residents.

A friend of mine who lives near UTSA once told me UT is San Antonio's college team.
TallTexan
San Antonio actually has pretty great sports fans. They're diehard for their spurs and show up for events.

But who's gonna be interested in private school football/basketball in a city that size? When there is already an FBS alternative.

Baylor benefits because it's the only game in town in Waco. Same with Abilene & ACU.

It's just hard to break through all the noise.
sfa17
TallTexan
sfa17 said:

Well that could be interesting.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Any guess what this might be about?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Perhaps taking off the interim tag? That's a long time to be interim.

"Jamie Boggs is the Interim Vice President of Athletics for Grand Canyon, having assumed the role on Aug. 12. In her role, she oversees all day-to-day operations for the department. She also serves as the sport administrator for baseball, men's basketball, men's golf and men's soccer."
sfa17
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

New Mexico State fans claims that GCU has a history of being dramatic and looking for attention. Like 76 said Sounds like taking interim tag off Jamie Boggs to make her the Athletics Director. She did hire Bryce drew and that is working out great so far
SFAJack_76
And, there it is.
SFAJack_76
Good interview with Ivey. Worth a listen. https://anchor.fm/partinmealex/episodes/Season-Finale-a-WACky-Convo-w-Ryan-Ivey--SFA-Athletic-Director-e106s2i

SFAJack_76
sfa17
https://csnbbs.com/forum-376.html

If u guys are interested. The WAC has its own forum which is pretty active
SFA Jack Fanatic
sfa17 said:

https://csnbbs.com/forum-376.html

If u guys are interested. The WAC has its own forum which is pretty active
Fans in a conference who actually care about their teams. Whodda thunk it? Thanks, 17.
SFAXE93
Get ready for the Ladyjacks NMS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.