General Academic Thread

169,106 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA bond ratings

https://www.fitchratings.com/research/us-public-finance/fitch-affirms-stephen-f-austin-state-univ-tx-rfs-bonds-at-aa-outlook-negative-13-09-2021?fbclid=IwAR0CsZms4fwt8zHjtFgnha3s8I9KWADMOlSlRvM-sb4CdK6nWxgTY6NGhyc
BigJack85
Covers all the issues accurately. We need some smart recruitment activities. I've been in sakes/sales management for 36 years. We admit students. We don't recruit.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

What's this?

TallTexan
Cool. I'm surprised this is the first I'm hearing of it.
SFAJack_76
A broad range of where donations can go, including specific sports.
TallTexan
I'm glad they included the sports.

Wish they'd do some funds around university specific initiatives. I've asked about an achievement gap fund before and will again today.

Honestly, the uni needs to get as slick of a donation setup as purple lights fund has built.

One that's overall university, then initiatives, then colleges.

We'd double our average annual giving if every SFA alumni gave 10 bucks a month. Need to make it as seamless as possible.
TallTexan
I wonder where they ended up on the 1 day fundraising campaign.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I would guess we will start to an increased amount of attention put on this as we ramp up. It would be nice to a pledge board (visual) on line.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

I would guess we will start to an increased amount of attention put on this as we ramp up. It would be nice to a pledge board (visual) on line.

Ya some dashboards or graphs would be great.

Wish PLF had them too.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Ya some dashboards or graphs would be great.

Wish PLF had them too.

When the PLF does the individual sport goals they do have a dashboard that shows how much been donated. You might have seen them (dashboards) if you logged into the caringcent portals for each sport toward the end of last season (April May) time period I think.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

TallTexan
That is awesome!

A great tradition to start.
TallTexan
Big BOR meeting today. Should already be started, but they're considering the jobs of VP of Finance and Gordon.

They should come out of executive session at 4:30.
Jacks4460
Thanks Texan.. I will go watch once its out of executive session
Jacks4460
TallTexan said:

Big BOR meeting today. Should already be started, but they're considering the jobs of VP of Finance and Gordon.

1hr over the anticipated time..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

TallTexan said:

1hr over the anticipated time..

Whoa.
TallTexan
Any updates?

Looks to me like they're still in executive session.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Any updates?

Double whoa…..
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Any updates?

Double whoa…..

I can't imagine this is going well for him at this point.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Any updates?

Double whoa…..

I can't imagine this is going well for him at this point.

Probably not. I have never been a huge fan of internal hires, at least for university President. Prior to Gordon coming I was highly in favor of Kimberly Child's getting the job. If Gordon gets the Axe , I would still be a fan of her getting the job. At minimum, an interim role.
Jacks4460
If dr Gordon doesn't stay put then we will no longer be our own system (or whatever you call it) we will be forced by the state to join one of the systems..That comes from the state officials.. Nothing public but if the BOR can't keep our President then we will be joining someone's system..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

If dr Gordon doesn't stay put then we will no longer be our own system (or whatever you call it) we will be forced by the state to join one of the systems..That comes from the state officials.. Nothing public but if the BOR can't keep our President then we will be joining someone's system..

I expected something big was coming. I have heard for years that we were destined for the Texas Tech system. I know that we are not contiguous, but Tech has been ambitious and just recently added Midwestern State. I don't live is being in a system. If we ended up anywhere, I would hope Tech. University of Texas system is just gigantic. We would be another spec on the wall. A&M yuck. Just yuck. Texas State System. Yuck again. I think Tech would help us expand our engineering offering.
Jacks4460
If Tech gets a hold of us then they would like for us to be their minority school.. Kinda like Prarie View AM..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

If Tech gets a hold of us then they would like for us to be their minority school.. Kinda like Prarie View AM..

I don't know where we go. But not A&M.
Jacks4460
They are coming after athletics next.. Enjoy it while you can… Hopefully Dr Gordon weathers this storm but the same group of professors will be coming after Ath dept next..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

They are coming after athletics next.. Enjoy it while you can… Hopefully Dr Gordon weathers this storm but the same group of professors will be coming after Ath dept next..
. Oh, I know it. I'm not saying Gordon needs to go. Some of these professors need to go It's just crazy what people will say when they don't feel like they are paid well enough.
Jacks4460
No doubt.. Both my parents were educators and school administrators and they all are under paid for what they do, the lives the touch and the time put in.. Just like first responders and men of the law.. They risk their lives to help keep us safe.. I hope it all sticks together because I liked the momentum our school is building..
TallTexan
I hope we get to see what the fundraising campaign looks like.

Some folks have told me 100 mil is happening and others have told me we stalled out and it seem undoable.

I know the uni needs changes. And I also know the BOR/PreZ fumbled that raise. But it seems like the board was happy with him up until about last month so maybe he survives.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I hope we get to see what the fundraising campaign looks like.

Some folks have told me 100 mil is happening and others have told me we stalled out and it seem undoable.

I know the uni needs changes. And I also know the BOR/PreZ fumbled that raise. But it seems like the board was happy with him up until about last month so maybe he survives.

Ya. That's the confusing part. I remember one of these episodes about 10-12 years ago. I think Baker Patillo was prez. It worked out. After a brief but serious conflict.
Jacks4460
They need to get this mess figured out before the Governor is forced to..I sure hope they do amd both sides are happy..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

They need to get this mess figured out before the Governor is forced to..I sure hope they do amd both sides are happy..

He stays ……..
nacluth
…with probably a shorter leash.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Probably. I haven't seen a major capital expenditure that didn't appear to be "embraced" by the BOR.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

This fundraising campaign is a big test. If it gets going strong and he gets some credit , things could turn around quickly. I think it is reasonable for SFA to raise $80-$90 million and add $50-$60 of that sum to the permanent endowment
Jacks4460
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Probably. I haven't seen a major capital expenditure that didn't appear to be "embraced" by the BOR.

Hopeful that they all can get along..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.