General Academic Thread

172,005 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AxeEm99 said:

I will just say this about the Texas State System.... My dad was a professor at SH for 35 years and worked under that System. If it was not for the funding and other numerous benefits that TSUS provided to SH, they would not be where they are today!!! SFA may fit better in another System, but there is absolutely no reason that TSUS would not benefit SFA significantly!!

I concur. Almost any university system affiliation will benefit SFA. My guess is that Most of the benefit would be driven around operational efficiencies that a system could yield n terms of insurance, IT platforms, legal staff etc. Beyond those obvious benefits, the additional upside would seem to revolve around the specific system that SFA joins.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
During the Alumni Association Zoom meeting today, Erika Tolar, President of the Alumni Association, stated that "99.8% of the feedback received so far about the possible move to a system has included 'Don't change our name', don't change our colors, and 'don't change our mascot". Good to know!

She also said that if you hear any rumors about the situation from anyone other than directly from Dr. Westbrook, just ignore them. Everything else is just noise.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

During the Alumni Association Zoom meeting today, Erika Tolar, President of the Alumni Association, stated that "99.8% of the feedback received so far about the possible move to a system has included 'Don't change our name', don't change our colors, and 'don't change our mascot". Good to know!

She also said that if you hear any rumors about the situation from anyone other than directly from Dr. Westbrook, just ignore them. Everything else is just noise.

Good to know. I hope we have some information posted about the feedback gathered, and soon.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Good to know. I hope we have some information posted about the feedback gathered, and soon.

Feedback is being gathered by various groups to be presented to Dr. Westbrook. He will present it to the Board at their next meeting. Don't expect to hear before then.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Nice!
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Nice!

I believe that is our 4th doctoral program. The other three are: Forestry, Educational Leadership and School Psychology.

Adding a 5th doctoral program would be a huge leap. It would likely push SFA from a "Masters Comprehensive" to a "Doctoral Research" university.
TallTexan
That would be fantastic. It might make sense for the business school but I could see others as well.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

That would be fantastic. It might make sense for the business school but I could see others as well.

I don't know what the demand curve is for DBA or PHD in Business. It's possible that the market for that type of doctoral agree makes perfect sense. My guess is that a life science PhD like environmental science or biology seems to have a pretty high demand right now. With an re-energized nursing/rural medicine school, a PhD in Biology would link together nicely.
TallTexan
An Environmental Science or similar doctorate would be huge for SFA & East Texas. Especially as carbon offsets get more popular. We could be a big destination for climate & sustainability stuff.
BigJack85
Haven't seen it announced yet. Fall enrollment down to 11,300. Freshmen class up 6.3%. Every other classification is down. Covid really hurt SFA. We need a plan. Execute. Succeed.

This will be another feather in the cap, for the "system" proponents. We probably need the support of a system. I hope it is done correctly. My favorites. Tech or UT as long long as UT doesn't force us to add orange.
SFAXE93
UT as long as UT doesn't force us to add orange

THIS!
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

UT as long as UT doesn't force us to add orange

THIS!

I put this in my comments (regarding the survey on the web):

acceptable names "should" SFA join a system: 1) Stephen F Austin State University - A member of the ____________ System 2) Stephen F Austin University of Texas.
"The University of Texas" would be done below "Stephen F Austin" in a smaller script. 3) University of East Texas - A member of________

UT Nacogdoches NO. Texas A&M Nacogdoches. Nein! Texas Tech Nacogdoches Nyet.
TallTexan
Finally got around to submitting my comment so figured I would share here as well.

Quote:

Hello Regents,

In regards to SFA joining a system, I think it's a fantastic idea that can power SFA for the next 100 years. Some of the systems mentioned produce fine institutions.

SFA has several needs that systems can address. Additional funding. Increased admissions marketing. Initiatives to boost graduation rates. Support via athletic's buy games & conference moves. Prestige.

First, my opinion: I would be very much in favor of SFA joining the UT system. The UT Brand is known worldwide for academic quality. Additionally, based on the metrics, I think the system supports its schools very well. Overall, it has higher graduation rates, growth rates, professor salaries, & per student funding than the other systems. That will be good for every student who steps foot in Nacogdoches & our professors/staff too. I strongly believe in the "never be the smartest person in the room" principle. In any other system, we'd be the best & usually largest non flagship school on Day 1. I'd rather have peers that drive us to do better.

My next best option would be Texas Tech. To borrow an old technology industry adage, "no one ever got fired for buying IBM". If Texas is IBM, joining Tech is joining a promising startup. They understand political power & wield it effectively(see that new vet school) & understand regional identities. Furthermore, a synergistic relationship could exist tying East & West Texas together that could funnel excess DFW & HOU students to Nacogdoches. In 20 years, joining Tech could look very prescient.

Why not A&M or Texas State? Well for one, I'd ask whether SFA gains much under Texas State, besides losing our independent regents. They don't wield much if any political power & funding doesn't seem that great. As for A&M, their non PUF schools are languishing in growth rates & graduation rates. If not for the recent funding burst for Tarleton, a PUF school, all of their schools outside the flagship seem to be largely ignored or an afterthought. And under the state constitution, SFA will be a non PUF school no matter which system we chose, so how they treat non PUF schools is important.

So once again I reiterate my top 2 choices. UT, then Tech. I would be most happy with either.

If I were the regents, I would ask systems for the following statistics:
  • Enrollment growth rate for the past decade
  • Average Professor Salaries & Benefits
  • Graduation Rates by race/first gen college students(and subsequent 10 year growth rates)
I would also be curious as to their plans for SFA, how they'll fund us, & whether we'll get system benefits like the UT Advantage program that provides funding for college for students whose families make under a certain threshold. UT RGV offers this for students whose families make under 100k. That would be huge for SFA students & their families.

PS: Much has been made about the name. Regardless of name, I will love the university in Nacogdoches currently known as SFA. I personally feel that some uniqueness is a plus. I will say that UT Nac, Texas Tech Nac, & A&M Nac would be a terrible branding decision.

If the name must change, I'd suggest one of the following based on system: UT East Texas, University of Texas Eastern, East Texas A&M, or East Texas Tech. Something that gives us some brandability within our home region without being too generic.

I'm confident that in today's political environment, the name will not change. One mention of "erasing Stephen F. Austin" will have prominent Texans who have to Google "where is SFA located" tying themselves to Surfing Steve & singing "we will not be moved". The name is safe.

As for the suggestion that all UT schools need an Orange highlight(debatable IMO), I'd suggest a reddish or pinkish orange replace the old red accents with a fitting name for the color like Tejas Sunset Orange to quell any naysayers.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Finally got around to submitting my comment so figured I would share here as well.

Quote:

Hello Regents,

In regards to SFA joining a system, I think it's a fantastic idea that can power SFA for the next 100 years. Some of the systems mentioned produce fine institutions.

SFA has several needs that systems can address. Additional funding. Increased admissions marketing. Initiatives to boost graduation rates. Support via athletic's buy games & conference moves. Prestige.

First, my opinion: I would be very much in favor of SFA joining the UT system. The UT Brand is known worldwide for academic quality. Additionally, based on the metrics, I think the system supports its schools very well. Overall, it has higher graduation rates, growth rates, professor salaries, & per student funding than the other systems. That will be good for every student who steps foot in Nacogdoches & our professors/staff too. I strongly believe in the "never be the smartest person in the room" principle. In any other system, we'd be the best & usually largest non flagship school on Day 1. I'd rather have peers that drive us to do better.

My next best option would be Texas Tech. To borrow an old technology industry adage, "no one ever got fired for buying IBM". If Texas is IBM, joining Tech is joining a promising startup. They understand political power & wield it effectively(see that new vet school) & understand regional identities. Furthermore, a synergistic relationship could exist tying East & West Texas together that could funnel excess DFW & HOU students to Nacogdoches. In 20 years, joining Tech could look very prescient.

Why not A&M or Texas State? Well for one, I'd ask whether SFA gains much under Texas State, besides losing our independent regents. They don't wield much if any political power & funding doesn't seem that great. As for A&M, their non PUF schools are languishing in growth rates & graduation rates. If not for the recent funding burst for Tarleton, a PUF school, all of their schools outside the flagship seem to be largely ignored or an afterthought. And under the state constitution, SFA will be a non PUF school no matter which system we chose, so how they treat non PUF schools is important.

So once again I reiterate my top 2 choices. UT, then Tech. I would be most happy with either.

• Graduation Rates by race/first gen college students(and subsequent 10 year growth rates)
I would also be curious as to their plans for SFA, how they'll fund us, & whether we'll get system benefits like the UT Advantage program that provides funding for college for students whose families make under a certain threshold. UT RGV offers this for students whose families make under 100k. That would be huge for SFA students & their families.

PS: Much has been made about the name. Regardless of name, I will love the university in Nacogdoches currently known as SFA. I personally feel that some uniqueness is a plus. I will say that UT Nac, Texas Tech Nac, & A&M Nac would be a terrible branding decision.

If the name must change, I'd suggest one of the following based on system: UT East Texas, University of Texas Eastern, East Texas A&M, or East Texas Tech. Something that gives us some brandability within our home region without being too generic.

I'm confident that in today's political environment, the name will not change. One mention of "erasing Stephen F. Austin" will have prominent Texans who have to Google "where is SFA located" tying themselves to Surfing Steve & singing "we will not be moved". The name is safe.

As for the suggestion that all UT schools need an Orange highlight(debatable IMO), I'd suggest a reddish or pinkish orange replace the old red accents with a fitting name for the color like Tejas Sunset Orange to quell any naysayers.

You make very tangible points. My only difference, is with the naming convention. I feel this is an important point as the name is an important part of what makes SFA , SFA

Texas Tech is attractive because they have decided to allow autonomy with the benefits of system participation.

UT clearly has the biggest impact from a reputation standpoint. The monetary issues probably stack up very positively also, for the UT system. My compromise with respect to joining the UT system, would be our name. I would like us to be: Stephen F Austin University of Texas

SFAXE93
The University of Texas at Stephen F. Austin State University
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

The University of Texas at Stephen F. Austin State University

That sounds terrible.
djsfw57
I'm still hoping for no name change at all.
SFA, Class of 1979
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Quote:

Hello Regents,

You make very tangible points. My only difference, is with the naming convention. I feel this is an important point as the name is an important part of what makes SFA , SFA

Texas Tech is attractive because they have decided to allow autonomy with the benefits of system participation.

UT clearly has the biggest impact from a reputation standpoint. The monetary issues probably stack up very positively also, for the UT system. My compromise with respect to joining the UT system, would be our name. I would like us to be: Stephen F Austin University of Texas

I could certainly live with SFA UT or UT SFA. I don't think it'll change at all, but I could live with those.

Having to incorporate orange somewhere is what I think the biggest revolt would be.

But UTMB gets away with this, which they definitely call red.
https://www.utmb.edu/identity/visual-identity/our-logo

And something like this Mets hat with a redder orange like UTMB has would look pretty fantastic imo:

I was never a fan of red & purple SFA, but I think it may have been the execution more than the 2 colors together.

TallTexan
IMO, if we get into the UT system, that should put us pretty quickly on a higher tier than Sam & Lamar. There's a lot of weight behind the UT System brand.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Quote:

Hello Regents,

I could certainly live with SFA UT or UT SFA. I don't think it'll change at all, but I could live with those.

Having to incorporate orange somewhere is what I think the biggest revolt would be.

But UTMB gets away with this, which they definitely call red.
https://www.utmb.edu/identity/visual-identity/our-logo

And something like this Mets hat with a redder orange like UTMB has would look pretty fantastic imo:

I was never a fan of red & purple SFA, but I think it may have been the execution more than the 2 colors together.

Purple doesn't go with either Burnt Orange or Maroon. It does go with red……..
TallTexan
If you take UTMB's "orange", slide a little tad more orange in it to brighten it up (& that UT System can't complain) & then mix in a hair of brown tones, you get a deep reddish orange that reminds me of our Texas red dirt that pairs nicely with our purple.
TallTexan
What's the next step in this process now that the feedback process is closed.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Feedback is presented to Dr. Westbrook. He will present it at the next BOR. Don't know if that will be public or executive session. They then make a decision on which system to pursue. I don't know when we might hear who the preferred system is.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Feedback is presented to Dr. Westbrook. He will present it at the next BOR. Don't know if that will be public or executive session. They then make a decision on which system to pursue. I don't know when we might hear who the preferred system is.

Color me orange or red. I can't say exactly why I am negative on A&M (other than my ex-wife went to school at A&M). Texas State doesn't seem like a step forward.

UT, would be great if they don't force us into UT-Nacogdoches. Can you imagine how awful the shortened version of that would be, T-Nac……. Ugh. Ugh X3. A&M-N. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.
nacluth
Do we really think that UT is going to compete with UT Tyler right up the road? That makes no sense to me.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Do we really think that UT is going to compete with UT Tyler right up the road? That makes no sense to me.

Agree. But then why would they (UT) be making formal inquiries? I agree , it makes no sense. Frankly the State of Texas higher education system is bloated with so much duplication. UT Tyler is 80 miles from Nacogdoches. 110 miles from UT Dallas.

Texas Tech makes the most sense, imho.
SFAXE93
Well isn't this just franchising, like a Walgreens on every corner.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Well isn't this just franchising, like a Walgreens on every corner.
On every corner & next to every football field.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

SFA campus is rare in this state in that its a traditional go away to college experience & not a commuter college.

I think thats why there's interest.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

SFA campus is rare in this state in that its a traditional go away to college experience & not a commuter college.

I think thats why there's interest.

True dat.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Like I tell my customers when I pitch SEO services, having the 1st spot in Google is great. But, what if you had the 1st AND 2nd spot? Would the extra traffic and business be good for you?
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

nacluth said:

Like I tell my customers when I pitch SEO services, having the 1st spot in Google is great. But, what if you had the 1st AND 2nd spot? Would the extra traffic and business be good for you?

Check mark! As long as they don't force us to be called UT Nacogdoches.
SFAJack_76
Learned today that the questions to the four systems, and their responses, will be made public. Should be interesting. Probably posted to:

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/university-system

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Learned today that the questions to the four systems, and their responses, will be made public. Should be interesting. Probably posted to:

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/university-system

That is fantastic news.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.