General Academic Thread

171,896 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trevor
SFA is in enviable position with an embarrassment of riches from which to choose. That said, serious due diligence should guide the decision. The UT System is the largest, but for its member institutions, that has not always been a positive. There's a pecking order.

https://www.theshorthorn.com/news/legislation-may-cut-ties-with-system/article_4f888a39-558f-582b-b636-78094b16301b.html
TallTexan
Trevor said:

SFA is in enviable position with an embarrassment of riches from which to choose. That said, serious due diligence should guide the decision. The UT System is the largest, but for its member institutions, that has not always been a positive. There's a pecking order.

https://www.theshorthorn.com/news/legislation-may-cut-ties-with-system/article_4f888a39-558f-582b-b636-78094b16301b.html
With any system, flagship first is definitely a thing.

But UTA has grown from 24 to 39k in the years since. Nearly the entire UT system has made incredible strides in the past 20 years in both enrollment & rankings.

Definitely far bigger leaps than any of the other systems by a mile.
wawwhite
Has anyone else received the email from Save SFA? I'm not taking it too seriously but curious about who it is and if it's a local Nac organization. It appears to be someone who doesn't like change and is scared to lose their power.

TallTexan
wawwhite said:

Has anyone else received the email from Save SFA? I'm not taking it too seriously but curious about who it is and if it's a local Nac organization. It appears to be someone who doesn't like change and is scared to lose their power.

Is that the same as the SFA facts group?

Idk who it is, but the NAC city council guy was spouting their page nearly word for word.
wawwhite
Yes, it is. The "ad" was sent via the Daily Sentinel.
SFA88
I see they have a website. I wonder why they don't put their name on it?
PurpleOut
Staff
That site was created and written by Chad Huckaby, a member of the Nac city council.

Just another Nac person that doesn't want the town or anything in it to change for the better.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

Link?
SFA88
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA88 said:

Link?
Easy enough to find https://sfafacts.com/ facts that aren't really facts but everyone is entitled to their opinion.
TallTexan
Big day for SFA.

Regents meeting starts at 1.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
I caught most of these except for about 10 minutes of the SFA faculty members speech.

I thought Erika Tovar knocked it out of the park for the alumni group, and provided a great closing argument. The general gist was "None of these systems will change SFA's culture or brand & a few even said they want to empower it.... but culture isn't any good if we don't exist, so you the regents need to decide which system is best enabled to take SFA from good to better and from better to the best SFA we can be".

One interest point I noticed was that the student feedback is only based on like 20 students. They just couldn't get more to chime in.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I caught most of these except for about 10 minutes of the SFA faculty members speech.

I thought Erika Tovar knocked it out of the park for the alumni group, and provided a great closing argument. The general gist was "None of these systems will change SFA's culture or brand & a few even said they want to empower it.... but culture isn't any good if we don't exist, so you the regents need to decide which system is best enabled to take SFA from good to better and from better to the best SFA we can be".

One interest point I noticed was that the student feedback is only based on like 20 students. They just couldn't get more to chime in.

Awesome. I was in Nacogdoches all weekend. The question of the university system affiliation was, thick and in the air like the mist during the football game. It seemed to me that different camps had arisen. A UT camp, A&M camp and a stay independent camp. A number of people I talked to thought the best route was Tech.

It's clear to me that the UT proposal is superior in many ways. Soon we will have an idea. The final outcome will be of great interest.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
wawwhite
Regardless of what the final decision is, we need to continue to support SFA and advocate in any way we can. This is not an easy decision and it must have weighed heavy on Dr. Westbrook to come to the conclusion it was time for affiliation. It's also an opportunity to show the nay-sayers and Nacogdoches that change isn't something to be scared of.
TallTexan
I thought Erika from the alumni foundation asked a great question "what do we want SFA to be".

My answer on that is the same whether it's UT, TSUS, TWU, A&M, or me hitting the powerball tonight. I want SFA to have 15-20k enrollment of a similar profile of students have now with an 80+% graduation rate.

I don't want to be a braniac school like UT Dallas, that's not my goal. I want us to be the best university for generational change in the entire state.

And I think the UT system gives us the best path to do that.
SFAJack_76
Erika is a very bright, high energy, do it right but do it right now, kind of person. Technically her 2 year term as Alumni Association president starts January 1, but you see who made the presentation. She also played volleyball at SFA.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Erika is a very bright, high energy, do it right but do it right now, kind of person. Technically her 2 year term as Alumni Association president starts January 1, but you see who made the presentation. She also played volleyball at SFA.
What was her role before this? I thought she moved back to Nac a few years ago to be Alumni President.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

What was her role before this? I thought she moved back to Nac a few years ago to be Alumni President.

President elect.
nacluth
No decision yet.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Charlotte Ashcraft is the current president.

New President elect will be named soon. Slight chance you may or may not know them well.
TallTexan

Thought y'all would enjoy these
SFA88
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

New President elect will be named soon. Slight chance you may or may not know them well.

Let me guess, Steve.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Has the President elect changed from what was said at the last Board meeting?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No, I meant after this next change. Erika is President Elect currently, I'm talking about about replacing her title when that happens.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No, I meant after this next change. Erika is President Elect currently, I'm talking about about replacing her title when that happens.
President Elect on January 1, was my question.
TallTexan
So will we hear anything on this before the decision near the end of the month?
NacMan
TallTexan said:

My guess is no. Lots of rumors flying around on campus, probably all of them false.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Beyond the date of the special called meeting, I doubt it.
NacMan
The Board of Regents just posted that there will be a special meeting on Tuesday, November 29.
TallTexan
NacMan said:

The Board of Regents just posted that there will be a special meeting on Tuesday, November 29.
Thanks!
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

NacMan said:

Thanks!

I'm unabashed in my support for SFA entering the UT System.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

NacMan said:

Thanks!

I'm unabashed in my support for SFA entering the UT System.

I agree. The root cause of why SFA is even considering joining a system is financial. And UT is throwing us the best lifeline.
TallTexan
A&M System Spending

Saw an A&M tweet on how much they're investing in their system. 73% of the money they highlighted was headed to College Station.

So I ran some numbers, above. Red is HEF funded unis to the best of my knowledge, green is PUF. Column on the right breaks out spending per student on capitol projects.

SFA would get HEF funds like we do now in the A&M system. Personally, I'd prefer not to be second class citizens in the A&M system.

If we're not gonna take the UT PUF option, Tech is the next available fit.
Jacks4460
Show me the PUF!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.