General Academic Thread

169,134 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So some quick research shows in the Texas Constitution under Education code Sec 101.01b that the name can not be changed by virtue of S.B. 596 in year 2009. Was approved unanimously in Senate 31-0 and in House 142-0 with 1 voting present.....probably a Sam guy.
nacluth
You're right that it would need a true legislative change, but not that it's sacrosanct in the constitution.

It's part of Texas law in our education code found here:

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/ED/htm/ED.101.htm

This is the code that lays out the legal basis of our university and how it runs in a basic way. This code is what has to be changed in the legislature in January for us to join the UT system. UT will be drafting the proposed legislation and it will just take a majority vote for us to be part of their system.

Whether the part about our name never changing survives the new legislation about SFA is anyone's guess at this point, but I'm sure current SFA regents will try to keep it from happening. (I honestly don't know if this whole section will be amended or essentially moved to the part of the code that deals with UT.) But, this code is changing soon and the name provision potentially (I doubt it will) be changed with it.

In the future, a board of regents couldn't change our name by a vote. It again would have to be changed by law.
Ljacks&Longnecks
As my follow-up to the current legal standing of the SFA name......

Do I believe that some arrogant, big money donors/officials/alumni of UT will attempt a name change at a later date, yes I do. There will be those that don't think we are kissing the ring enough because we don't have a UT in our name somewhere and that we (SFA) owe our entire being and allegiance to the Mothership. Of course they would have to go through the Lege to get it done so that should help prevent some dirty under the table deal at 2 AM at an Austin watering hole.....I think....
Ljacks&Longnecks
Nacluth is right about it being a statute in the education code and it will have to be redone or the SFA part joined in with the UT system portion of the code.
I guess we will see if the "commitment" from the UT proposal to retain name carries any real weight or if is found out to be as meaningless as the "commitment" of so many college bound athletes these days.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

As my follow-up to the current legal standing of the SFA name......

Do I believe that some arrogant, big money donors/officials/alumni of UT will attempt a name change at a later date, yes I do. There will be those that don't think we are kissing the ring enough because we don't have a UT in our name somewhere and that we (SFA) owe our entire being and allegiance to the Mothership. Of course they would have to go through the Lege to get it done so that should help prevent some dirty under the table deal at 2 AM at an Austin watering hole.....I think....

What happens in 20 years is largely out of our control. The campus culture will drive decisions to change names. Perhaps, political forces may find some characteristics of our namesake distasteful. Again forces that can't be controlled or predicted. The mindset I believe captures the situation goes something like this:

Our university has the opportunity to join one of the largest endowments in the country. Why on earth would you turn that down? Especially when you consider the $120 something million down payment that "the endowment" is going to make payable to the university in Nacogdoches.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'm not knocking the needed financial help that the UT system will provide at all. The days of SFA being an independent University are sadly lost to us due to many factors, some the fault of SFA and many beyond their control. Change is a constant even to us old guys that resist change as much as we can.
I accept that SFA had to join a system for it's own best interests and likely survival in the ever-changing new world order and actually with the expectation that SFA will be able to move forward in the education fields, physical improvements and perhaps get enrollment and retention to improve plus any other changes we could deem as positives.
Any comments I made on a name change stand. I believe at some point down the road, not anytime soon, there will be attempts to do so. Until then let's see how this new path starts to play out.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

djsfw57 said:

My sister ('71) is foaming at the mouth because she is convinced that within 5 years our name will change to UT something, burnt orange will become part of our school colors, and we will see a Lumberjack mascot leading a steer onto the field. I'm hoping she is 100% wrong. Don't mess with our name or colors. Ever. I know lots of people think it's silly, but I don't ever want to see the name change.

She needs to relax. It's in the Texas Constitution that SFASU and SHSU's names cannot be changed without passage of a new Constitutional Amendment, and that's never going to happen. The institutions named for the two most iconic Texans in our state's history will never be erased.
I explained that to her, but she was completely unmoved.
NacMan
djsfw57 said:

My sister ('71) is foaming at the mouth because she is convinced that within 5 years our name will change to UT something, burnt orange will become part of our school colors, and we will see a Lumberjack mascot leading a steer onto the field. I'm hoping she is 100% wrong. Don't mess with our name or colors. Ever. I know lots of people think it's silly, but I don't ever want to see the name change.
Leaving aside the name and burnt orange, I think it would be perfectly appropriate for a Lumberjack mascot to lead a steer onto the field. Ever heard of Paul Bunyan?
SFA Jack Fanatic
NacMan said:

djsfw57 said:

Leaving aside the name and burnt orange, I think it would be perfectly appropriate for a Lumberjack mascot to lead a steer onto the field. Ever heard of Paul Bunyan?

It would also be appropriate for the mascot to take an axe onto the field at the same time. Ever heard of Texas style barbecue?
NacMan
I think a lot of the alumni who are angry are what could be called "casual alumni." They attended SFA, and they remember it fondly, but most haven't followed the details or been involved directly with SFA since they graduated however long ago.

I don't mean "casual" as an insult - it is perfectly reasonable to focus on different interests with your time and money after graduating college. I'm a "casual alumnus" of my undergraduate university. Thus, they are angry about the loss of independence because they haven't followed all the problems that SFA has been experiencing, and thus this affiliation appears to be happening for no reason.

I can tell you from an inside perspective that employee morale was imploding after four years of frozen pay, which had been preceded by years of low pay. Not just for faculty, but staff as well. Heck, the staff salary scale still being used was last updated in 2012!

BigJack85
NacMan said:

I think a lot of the alumni who are angry are what could be called "casual alumni." They attended SFA, and they remember it fondly, but most haven't followed the details or been involved directly with SFA since they graduated however long ago.

I don't mean "casual" as an insult - it is perfectly reasonable to focus on different interests with your time and money after graduating college. I'm a "casual alumnus" of my undergraduate university. Thus, they are angry about the loss of independence because they haven't followed all the problems that SFA has been experiencing, and thus this affiliation appears to be happening for no reason.

I can tell you from an inside perspective that employee morale was imploding after four years of frozen pay, which had been preceded by years of low pay. Not just for faculty, but staff as well. Heck, the staff salary scale still being used was last updated in 2012!

It usually the group that does the least amount of research or investigation that yells the loudest.

I was against joining a system until I peeled the onion back and looked at the trajectory of SFA. Yes the trajectory. Without this infusion of capital our campus would start to look old, dated and forlorn. We need this capital and infusion of scholarship monies. Period.

Anyone who takes the time to research the situation "should" arrive at the same conclusion.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

NacMan said:

It usually the group that does the least amount of research or investigation that yells the loudest.

I was against joining a system until I peeled the onion back and looked at the trajectory of SFA. Yes the trajectory. Without this infusion of capital our campus would start to look old, dated and forlorn. We need this capital and infusion of scholarship monies. Period.

Anyone who takes the time to research the situation "should" arrive at the same conclusion.
Ya almost everyone I know who's very plugged in is in favor.

And not only did we land an awesome financial deal, but it's with one of the best system brands in all of public colleges.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

NacMan said:

Ya almost everyone I know who's very plugged in is in favor.

And not only did we land an awesome financial deal, but it's with one of the best system brands in all of public colleges.

The Daily Sentinel has a solid article about the system affiliation. Some good quotes from Buddy Himes We are going to see some major changes in the next 3-4 years. Construction, enrollment growth and new programs. All good stuff
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

The Daily Sentinel has a solid article about the system affiliation. Some good quotes from Buddy Himes We are going to see some major changes in the next 3-4 years. Construction, enrollment growth and new programs. All good stuff

Can you give me the title of that article? I'd like to see if it is accessible on the interwebs.
SFAJack_76
Excerpt from the Lufkin Daily News.

"University of Texas System officials expect to have a new president in place by May 31, which will allow the president to draft the budget for fiscal 2024.

Work begins immediately on addressing salary equity for faculty and staff, bringing their compensation more in line with similar positions at other Texas universities. The University of Texas System pledged $5.5 million for each of the next four years to address the salary gap, said Gina Oglesbee, SFA's vice president for finance and administration.

The system pledged $65 million in Permanent Education Fund money for new buildings in the short term. Of that, $20 million will be for a forestry building and $45 million for projects defined by SFA's strategic plan.

The forestry school also will get a $500,000 grant, Oglesbee said. Students will get access to an additional $1 million a year in scholarships beginning next fall."

SFA Jack Fanatic
Sounds fantastic!
SFAXE93
SFA really hit the lottery, watch our dust!
Pilotgirl
Amazing!
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Excerpt from the Lufkin Daily News.

"University of Texas System officials expect to have a new president in place by May 31, which will allow the president to draft the budget for fiscal 2024.

Work begins immediately on addressing salary equity for faculty and staff, bringing their compensation more in line with similar positions at other Texas universities. The University of Texas System pledged $5.5 million for each of the next four years to address the salary gap, said Gina Oglesbee, SFA's vice president for finance and administration.

The system pledged $65 million in Permanent Education Fund money for new buildings in the short term. Of that, $20 million will be for a forestry building and $45 million for projects defined by SFA's strategic plan.

The forestry school also will get a $500,000 grant, Oglesbee said. Students will get access to an additional $1 million a year in scholarships beginning next fall."

I don't know about the agriculture building. Imho it should be demolished and build elsewhere on campus

Frankly a small fieldhouse w bathrooms/locker rooms for soccer would be a real step forward for our soccer program.

Everything has a priority. I doubt building an outhouse for the soccer team is high on the list.
TallTexan
That whole side of campus has so many buildings laid out for a different era. So many space eaters that could be reconfigured/rearranged.
BigJack85
I think I have read most (99%) of the four proposals. Again.

It is very disheartening, to see the 40% (or so) of post on social media that feel like this is a bad move to the UT System. First and foremost, most of those commenters (if that is a word) likely have not read a word of ANY of the proposals.

Facts:
  • The UT System, is going to bring salary equalization to our faculty and staff. Huge +++
  • Initial investments in facilities (Approximately $70 million) in the next 4 years will transform our beautiful campus from good to great. ++
  • Adding additional doctoral programs, I'm anticipating one or two: Environmental Science and possibly a terminal degree in nursing or one of the other life sciences. Will move SFA from a large master's university, to a R2 Doctoral (moderate research activity) university. The additional federal funding opportunities should be immense.+++
  • Selectivity. SFA should over time be able to move from moderately competitive, to highly competitive admissions. Instead of chasing students we should be able to find better students, while increasing our graduation rates and other metrics. +++

A huge leap for SFA that ALL should be celebrating.
AxeEm99
With the type of funding UT is providing SFA, the positive future for all areas of the University including Football is going to be incredible! In a year or two, I can already hear Southeast Texas residents (and future perspective students) saying Sam Houston who??? I am so looking forward to leaving them in our trail of dust!!!!
AXE 'EM!
BigJack85
AxeEm99 said:

With the type of funding UT is providing SFA, the positive future for all areas of the University including Football is going to be incredible! In a year or two, I can already hear Southeast Texas residents (and future perspective students) saying Sam Houston who??? I am so looking forward to leaving them in our trail of dust!!!!
AXE 'EM!

It should truly change the dynamics at SFA. The influx of doctoral programs/degrees should help the overall intellectual vibe on campus.

The initial funding for the forestry building and agriculture/tech workshop will revive the east side of campus, that badly needs a refresh. Along with the replacement of east college cafeteria and dorm 16 with a new dorm and cafeteria, wow. Really a huge positive. All around.

During a recent BOR meeting it was put forward that a number of the older dorms on the south side (10 & South) might be demolished for a newer/modern mini dorm. So excited that our university is going to receive a much needed facelift. Axe Em Jacks
Pilotgirl
Intellectual vibe? How might one measure that? Lol listen, college is what you make of it....no matter if you go to junior college and then transfer or if you go to Harvard. It's all up to the individual.

I don't think admission requirements will change. We are still hurting for enrollment and so are our contemporaries...Lamar will take top 50% of graduating Hs class. SFA isn't requiring SAT/ACT (for at least this next year) , but that's true for tons of universities.

SFA still needs to be accessible for students. With the UT money, we can grow more programs, which will appeal to a wider range of students.
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Intellectual vibe? How might one measure that? Lol listen, college is what you make of it....no matter if you go to junior college and then transfer or if you go to Harvard. It's all up to the individual.

I don't think admission requirements will change. We are still hurting for enrollment and so are our contemporaries...Lamar will take top 50% of graduating Hs class. SFA isn't requiring SAT/ACT (for at least this next year) , but that's true for tons of universities.

SFA still needs to be accessible for students. With the UT money, we can grow more programs, which will appeal to a wider range of students.

Beatniks is what they "used" to call them. College will be "plenty" more accessible with the scholarship dollars, that will soon be available. Enhancing our academic entrance standards won't hurt SFA or anyone Young people wanting an education will find a market place flush with options. today.
Pilotgirl
Well, I see second-hand how recruiting is for ALL universities (at least in Houston area) and from this, admission requirements will not change much, at least for a long time. Doctoral programs are a different story but they take awhile to get approved and implemented.
Pilotgirl
Also, we need to increase undergrad numbers. We can concentrate on grad school numbers later but they aren't the programs keeping the lights on.
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Also, we need to increase undergrad numbers. We can concentrate on grad school numbers later but they aren't the programs keeping the lights on.

The saying "Chew gum and walk, at the same time" comes to mind. We both want the same for our university, prosperity. The ways that prosperity can be delivered are varied.
TallTexan
UT regents meeting tomorrow regarding us. Mostly executive session, but could be interesting to see what they say about SFA.
TallTexan
https://utsystem.edu/board-of-regents/meetings/board-meeting-2022-12-06
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

UT regents meeting tomorrow regarding us. Mostly executive session, but could be interesting to see what they say about SFA.

This is just a formality, imho. My guess is that we move down the road with legislative action coming soon.

By May 2023 this thing will be done. Fall 2023 - 2026 should be a groundbreaking (literally and figuratively) time for SFA.
TallTexan
Ya I think it's going to be a pretty quick meeting but will be the first time the board has formally said anything about it. Could be insightful.
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.