General Academic Thread

169,111 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope that's the case. I guess I just don't have much confidence in our development team to pull it off(50/50 odds at best), especially without hearing anything about it. From the outside, they appear to be setup more as an alumni relations team that happens to do fundraising, than a fundraising team IMO.

I can definitely see the strategy behind securing initial gifts so you can make headlines with the announcement. Hopefully we'll hear something in the next several months that'll set my mind at ease that we can accomplish the goal.
BigJack85
My understanding is that this process is VERY common. It is the way most of these capital campaigns are structured.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I believe the meeting I heard about called this the "quiet" session of the campaign. They start soliciting donations but purposely DO NOT make announcements . The reasoning is that the university benefits from notching a few big donations prior to the actual publicizing of the fundraiser broadly they can say they've already raised $28 million etc etc.
Exactly this.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

My understanding is that this process is VERY common. It is the way most of these capital campaigns are structured.

Makes sense.

SFA raises announces 15 million worth of gifts as part of 100 million campaign makes a better splash than SFA launches campaign.

But dang, I'm just so hungry for news of this campaign. This being successful can alter the trajectory of the entire university.
TallTexan
When's the next regents meeting?
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

http://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/meeting-information
TallTexan
Looks like they're discussing the President job on that Wednesday call.
TallTexan
Anybody familiar with how SFA handles working with the Tx Legislature?
SFAJack_76
Road show.

TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Did anybody happen to watch this meeting?
BigJack85
I did not. I am interested in the progress on the new dorms and of course basketball training facility.
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Did anybody happen to watch this meeting?
The next meetings are on the 28th and 29th, correct?
TallTexan
Yep, that's when the usual Regents meeting is.

I believe the one on the 16th was a quick call to discuss selecting a hiring firm for the President's role.
TallTexan
Not SFA related, but an interesting read.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/tjc-is-set-to-transform-its-campus-the-lives-of/article_64c5c6a6-1aae-11e9-8ed0-8fae088d63a3.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
TallTexan
cboothe09
My goal as soon as i saw that was FIELD TRIP! Going to see if my school (& SFA) will let me take a small group.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Man, if that was in Palestine, my wife and I would both be onboard to be adjuncts.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
Well, there is this.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Well, there is this.

Very cool. Being an owner of miniature horses, I did not know this.
SFAJack_76
Yes it is.
TallTexan

Interesting article on Texas Higher Ed.
BigJack85
Interesting article. I've got a tangential take on some of the topic. First, the state of Texas has built to many universities. For example: is there a good reason to have another 4 year university in San Antonio? I mean are there so many Aggies that need a satellite campus in SA. Not to count the litany of UT - fill in the blank etc. 2) the schools that do the blocking and tackling like SFA, Sam, Lamar, Angelo etc are woefully underfunded although our Louisiana brethren would disagree. The permanent university fund money has helped build some gigantic universities. Philosophically I don't think there's a benefit to having 70,000 students which is the case at A&M. Crazy.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Interesting article. I've got a tangential take on some of the topic. First, the state of Texas has built to many universities. For example: is there a good reason to have another 4 year university in San Antonio? I mean are there so many Aggies that need a satellite campus in SA. Not to count the litany of UT - fill in the blank etc. 2) the schools that do the blocking and tackling like SFA, Sam, Lamar, Angelo etc are woefully underfunded although our Louisiana brethren would disagree. The permanent university fund money has helped build some gigantic universities. Philosophically I don't think there's a benefit to having 70,000 students which is the case at A&M. Crazy.

I do think we need a few more universities in the State, particularly in San Antonio and Houston. For their population, they are woefully underserved in number of public enrollment spots.

But it's true that the state is woefully under funding our blue collar to white collar pipeline, and it's hurting entire regions of our state.

I'm fine with chasing research university status, because it brings investment to Texas and increases output of good students. But we need to focus on the SFA & SHSU's level schools because otherwise we're going to kick the economic ladder out of reach for a whole lot of students.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Not exactly academic, but I would have been all over this if available when I was a student. Love Big Bend.
SFAJack_76
From the SFA web site, this runs from noon to five. Why not schedule it an hour earlier and give participants tickets to the basketball game?
SFAJack_76
Talked to Ivey about this and he agrees it is a missed opportunity that they took advantage of at his previous stop. It is on his long list of things to work on.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Talked to Ivey about this and he agrees it is a missed opportunity that they took advantage of at his previous stop. It is on his long list of things to work on.

We need the El Presidente version of Ivey to lead the university.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

We need the El Presidente version of Ivey to lead the university.
Ivey obviously has great interest in who the next president will be and what his/her vision and support for athletics will be.
BigJack85
He should. I wouldn't expect anything less. Seems like we have an excellent opportunity to put the University on a much higher trajectory for years to come. I like the idea of finding an executive (President) that will focus on expanding our engineering, environmental science and business programs. I think I've mentioned that I believe adding a PHD in Environmental Science is a natural fit and would expand our research base. Along with expanding undergraduate offerings in the sciences would be pivotal.
TallTexan
With the funding campaign & the new STEM building, we're ready to launch to a whole new tier.

Next president is inheriting a job full of opportunity.
SFAJack_76
This is cool.
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.