General Academic Thread

172,238 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan
Didn't realize they are tearing down Mays Hall.
https://www.sfasu.edu/sawdust/issue-23-spring/construction-boom
SFAXE93
It will be exciting to see where SFA is 5 to 10 years from now.
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

It will be exciting to see where SFA is 5 to 10 years from now.

For sure. Great time to be a lumberjack.
SFAXE93
Gina Oglesbee now in as interim president at SFA as Steve Westbrook retires.

"Oglesbee will not be a candidate for the permanent presidential position that will be filled by the UT System."

https://www.dailysentinel.com/social_media/sfa-names-interim-president/article_c1908d61-b7de-5a59-9bc9-0441f2ba0f45.html
SFA Jack Fanatic
A friend of mine (and fellow SFA Alum) said she heard that SFA's computer network was hacked and shut down a day or two ago in a ramsomware attack. Is this true, and if so, does anyone have info and status?
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

A friend of mine (and fellow SFA Alum) said she heard that SFA's computer network was hacked and shut down a day or two ago in a ramsomware attack. Is this true, and if so, does anyone have info and status?

It's true. I don't know if it was ransom ware They had to disconnect from the internet on Monday.

Just now restoring services.
Pilotgirl
It's been a pain for everybody. V took the week off so we could go to South Padre...she had noticed and reported a suspicious email on Friday/Saturday and reported it.

It's slowly coming back, little by little.
TallTexan
Do we have any idea of the presidential search timeline?
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Do we have any idea of the presidential search timeline?

I was in the alumni office last week. They (alumni staff) heard later this year or early 2024. Seems like BS to me.
NacMan
Haven't heard anything lately about a presidential timeline, but back in May/June the grapevine was that the system hoped to have a new president by January 2024.

If not, we may get another interim, this time someone from the UT System who can help merge policies and practices from the system side of things. There have been all sorts of rumors flying around campus about what the merge will mean for staff and faculty. Right now people are cautiously optimistic, but the longer things go without any announced, concrete plans to address work conditions and salaries, the staff and faculty departures continue.
TallTexan
I bet Sept 1st will bring a lot of clarity when we're "officially" in the UT system.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

Haven't heard anything lately about a presidential timeline, but back in May/June the grapevine was that the system hoped to have a new president by January 2024.

If not, we may get another interim, this time someone from the UT System who can help merge policies and practices from the system side of things. There have been all sorts of rumors flying around campus about what the merge will mean for staff and faculty. Right now people are cautiously optimistic, but the longer things go without any announced, concrete plans to address work conditions and salaries, the staff and faculty departures continue.

The urgency with which this has been done, does not offer me optimism. I never felt like this needed to be rushed but this seems to be rather relaxed.
SFA88
TallTexan said:

I bet Sept 1st will bring a lot of clarity when we're "officially" in the UT system.
That is also the beginning of the fiscal year. It would make sense to hear more shortly after that.
TallTexan
Search committee named today.
https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/newsroom/2023/ut-system-board-regents-names-presidential-search-advisory-committee?fbclid=IwAR1OqPnV9EKvsI1txw201z8I-6NxlqpIx5WuWvvlKrRXokvsaEs4olZKi7s
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Search committee named today.
https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/newsroom/2023/ut-system-board-regents-names-presidential-search-advisory-committee?fbclid=IwAR1OqPnV9EKvsI1txw201z8I-6NxlqpIx5WuWvvlKrRXokvsaEs4olZKi7s

A starting point.
BigJack85
Visited the alumni center on my recent (late July) trip to Nacogdoches. Heard that the orientation sessions were full. All four of them. Hopefully that is a leading indicator for fall enrollment. The fall 2022 freshman class was the largest in 3-4 years. Maybe enrollment will start to head up.
TallTexan
I've been wondering if we'll see a bump from UT/all the publicity around the move this year. I certainly hope so.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I've been wondering if we'll see a bump from UT/all the publicity around the move this year. I certainly hope so.

I looked at headcount/Jack facts. Fall of 22 entering class was sizable. Another 1-2 good fall classes would get us back close to 12,000.
NacMan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

I looked at headcount/Jack facts. Fall of 22 entering class was sizable. Another 1-2 good fall classes would get us back close to 12,000.

Rumor says the internal projection is for flat enrollment, probably with a slight increase in Freshmen over last year. That would be a positive trend.

But the two small entering classes in 2020 and 2021 are still moving through and affecting the topline number. As you said, another couple of years until those students start graduating and hopefully be replaced by larger incoming classes.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

Rumor says the internal projection is for flat enrollment, probably with a slight increase in Freshmen over last year. That would be a positive trend.

But the two small entering classes in 2020 and 2021 are still moving through and affecting the topline number. As you said, another couple of years until those students start graduating and hopefully be replaced by larger incoming classes.

Covid classes were small. Yes. Probably next fall before we expand.
TallTexan
Can someone tell me why on earth this wasn't scheduled on a weekend with a football game on campus?

We miss even the most basic opportunities for synergy between the college and the athletic department.

BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Can someone tell me why on earth this wasn't scheduled on a weekend with a football game on campus?

We miss even the most basic opportunities for synergy between the college and the athletic department.

I asked the very same question about a month ago (at the Astros/SFA game) I was told that the logistics of other events, dignitaries etc. made adding a football game in challenging. I can't imagine that the decision was made lightly. I would have rolled the dice or brought in some help from outside ($$$) third party help Logistics.
Ljacks&Longnecks
It may have been "challenging" but SFA often seems to miss the boat when it comes to promoting the University to the fullest. Many alumni and friends could have taken the opportunity to take in at least some portions of both events. Celebrate the Centennial and catch some Lumberjack football. Certainly, for the out-of-town bunch, which is of course most alumni, gives all the more reason to make a trip to Nac and get the most out of it.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

It may have been "challenging" but SFA often seems to miss the boat when it comes to promoting the University to the fullest. Many alumni and friends could have taken the opportunity to take in at least some portions of both events. Celebrate the Centennial and catch some Lumberjack football. Certainly, for the out-of-town bunch, which is of course most alumni, gives all the more reason to make a trip to Nac and get the most out of it.

Not agreeing or disagreeing. My instinct would be to turn it into another MEGA WEEKEND, like Homecoming or Parents Weekend.
NacMan
The proposed SFA budget for this year is now available along with all the other UT Schools for comparison. This is the first time SFA has been required to present their budget in an easily understandable way as to how money is spent (SFA budgets previously were broken down by revenue pool sources rather than by expense categories).

A lot of now apples-to-apples comparisons can now be made as to how SFA spends its money in comparison to other universities.

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/budget-and-planning/operating-budget-summaries
NacMan
Missed this last week. SFA announced their Fall 2023 enrollment. 10,880. A decline of 4% from the previous year. As of yet, UT has not change SFA recruiting methods or leadership (they just took over on Sept. 1), so I continue to hope that things will turn around once UT really takes control.

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/newsroom/2023/sfa-releases-fall-2023-enrollment-numbers

TallTexan
Think they'll probably wait to get a president in place before making any big changes.

Purple promise should also help quite a bit.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

Missed this last week. SFA announced their Fall 2023 enrollment. 10,880. A decline of 4% from the previous year. As of yet, UT has not change SFA recruiting methods or leadership (they just took over on Sept. 1), so I continue to hope that things will turn around once UT really takes control.

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/newsroom/2023/sfa-releases-fall-2023-enrollment-numbers

First time / full time freshman enrollment is up 2 years in a row. I expect next fall to see us back above 11,000. If only slightly. From there I think purple promise expansion should get us going the right direction.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

The proposed SFA budget for this year is now available along with all the other UT Schools for comparison. This is the first time SFA has been required to present their budget in an easily understandable way as to how money is spent (SFA budgets previously were broken down by revenue pool sources rather than by expense categories).

A lot of now apples-to-apples comparisons can now be made as to how SFA spends its money in comparison to other universities.

https://www.utsystem.edu/offices/budget-and-planning/operating-budget-summaries

If I read the SFA portion correctly, we had a 12% increase in first time/full time freshman.
SFAJack_76
In addition to its 100th anniversary and affiliation with The University of Texas System this year, SFA is celebrating the release of fall 2023 enrollment data that shows the university registered its largest first-time undergraduate class in five years.

According to a census report taken Sept. 12, the fall 2023 first-time undergraduate class totals nearly 2,000 students and marks an increase of 4% from 2018 data. It's the second year in a row SFA has witnessed its largest first-time undergraduate class since pre-COVID-19 years.

Read more at gosfa.com/enrollment23.
TallTexan
I wonder when we'll start hearing any progress on the President hiring search front.

I'm thinking it'll probably be Dec/Jan and that's if they name finalists.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I wonder when we'll start hearing any progress on the President hiring search front.

I'm thinking it'll probably be Dec/Jan and that's if they name finalists.
It's going to be later than that for naming any finalists. The team has had one zoom meeting. They are utilizing a search firm for a national search.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.