General Academic Thread

171,685 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gotcha. Probably name finalists in like Feb/March and make a selection in April I'd guess?

They're still wanting a Summer 2023 start right?
TallTexan
That's assuming they name finalists and not just the finalist.
SFAJack_76
Probably, others got this email.

https://www.utsystem.edu/sfa-presidential-search

"We recently announced the launch of a national search to select the next president of Stephen F. Austin State University. We pledged to keep you informed of the process along the way. We'll be doing that through the SFA Presidential Search website.

The site is designed to keep you apprised of the search effort and includes a copy of the position description, news articles, and timelines and activities of the committee. It provides an opportunity to offer comments, and it has a feature to allow you to send a nomination forward for consideration.

As the search process moves forward, I encourage you to visit the website for updates as the Search Advisory Committee works to help identify the very best candidates to lead Stephen F. Austin State University.

Sincerely,
James B. Milliken signature
James B. Milliken
Chancellor"
TallTexan
Awesome thanks for sharing.
NacMan
From what I have heard, the plan is that there will be only one finalist publicly announced, and that ideally they would like the new President to take over in/by May. That would give the new president at least a small window to tinker with the budget for the following '24-'25 fiscal year, which must be finalized by early August.
TallTexan
Makes sense.

So that'd probably mean a march to April announcement.

There are plenty of good candidates out there, some with UT ties, some with SFA ties.

Hope we get a good one.
NacMan
In other news, SFA has released their detailed budget (not just the summary) for the current fiscal year, and unlike previously, this one is publicly visible without requiring an institutional login.

https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/default/files/documents/report-state/2023/annual-operating-budgets-stephen-f-austin-state-university/fy-2024-budget-stephen-f-austin-state-university.pdf

Of interest since this is an Athletics forum, the Athletics budget is now all in one place. Page 70-71.

SFA Jack Fanatic
VERY interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Not surprisingly, based on spending, basketball definitely rules the athletics roost at SFA.

BTW, explain the Transfers In/Out column. Are those funds moved between cost centers?
TallTexan
I'd also be curious about the income sources on sports. Seems to be more than just tickets.
NacMan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

VERY interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Not surprisingly, based on spending, basketball definitely rules the athletics roost at SFA.

BTW, explain the Transfers In/Out column. Are those funds moved between cost centers?

Transfer in is what gets moved from tuition and other funding sources to maintain athletics. Overall, SFA spends about $14.1 million in tuition money to support athletics (page 61 of the pdf). The rest of the transfer in appears to come from student fees (960k), auxiliary funds, and "other."

Transfer out looks like things that are profitable, and the money can then be spent on other things (presumably athletics). For example, corporate sponsorships and Pressbox both generate money but that money doesn't sit in a corporate sponsorship or Pressbox account, but gets moved and spent.

Really interesting comparisons to make. At first glance, SFA spends more per student on athletics than any school in the UT system with the exception of UT-Austin. With all the talk at SFA about budget tightening, I imagine the financial pressure on SFA athletics will be high.
NacMan
TallTexan said:

I'd also be curious about the income sources on sports. Seems to be more than just tickets.
Looks like the main ones are ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, and merchandise (Pressbox - which I thought was a media outlet, but google appears to indicate that it is the official SFA merchandise storefront). The 995,000 revenue from "Intercollegiate athletics" my wild guess is SFA's share of athletic conference media deals? Just a guess.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

TallTexan said:

Looks like the main ones are ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, and merchandise (Pressbox - which I thought was a media outlet, but google appears to indicate that it is the official SFA merchandise storefront). The 995,000 revenue from "Intercollegiate athletics" my wild guess is SFA's share of athletic conference media deals? Just a guess.

Knight Newhouse lists our external fundraising (private donors) as $2.1 million 2022.
SFASawmillGuy
Interesting to note that our athletic budget is almost the exact same as Sam Houston's and about 5 million more than Jacksonville States. I wasn't aware our budget was that high.

As far as our income, from what I've been told actual ticket sales in college athletics isn't the biggest money maker. A portion of that money goes to the NCAA and the conference from what I understand. We do profit off them but that's not our biggest source. The majority of the money comes from concessions, merchandise, and media rights. I would imagine since alcohol sales got approved our concessions revenue has skyrocketed.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

Interesting to note that our athletic budget is almost the exact same as Sam Houston's and about 5 million more than Jacksonville States. I wasn't aware our budget was that high.

As far as our income, from what I've been told actual ticket sales in college athletics isn't the biggest money maker. A portion of that money goes to the NCAA and the conference from what I understand. We do profit off them but that's not our biggest source. The majority of the money comes from concessions, merchandise, and media rights. I would imagine since alcohol sales got approved our concessions revenue has skyrocketed.
Our concession royalties per the Chartwells contract is 15% (gross receipts less applicable sales tax). It has ranged from $20-40K since FY2010 for men's basketball. Ticket sales revenue for MBB for 2022-23 was just under $180k.

Although every dollar matters, concessions is a small part of our revenue.
NacMan
SFASawmillGuy said:

I don't think most people were aware even at SFA because the old budget put bits and pieces of athletics in a dozen different headings. Perspective on the total budget, we spend about the same as SHSU, but we are half of Sam's enrollment. Like I said, I think athletics is going to face some significant budget cuts when SFA likely does further belt tightening next year.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

I don't think most people were aware even at SFA because the old budget put bits and pieces of athletics in a dozen different headings. Perspective on the total budget, we spend about the same as SHSU, but we are half of Sam's enrollment. Like I said, I think athletics is going to face some significant budget cuts when SFA likely does further belt tightening next year.

We bring in more private funds than Sam. Considerably.

Just tell us your ultimate goal. Eliminate football Eliminate athletics altogether? Maybe it's basketball that has you bent.
TallTexan
I don't think major budget cuts are coming to athletics. We're in the same general range as most of our peer schools.

And UT has seen the importance of sports investment. I haven't seen them cut a single school's athletic department to the bone.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I don't think major budget cuts are coming to athletics. We're in the same general range as most of our peer schools.

And UT has seen the importance of sports investment. I haven't seen them cut a single school's athletic department to the bone.

I hope you are correct. If we had to rationalize, I would drop football add men's soccer and men's tennis

Pump some more money into MBB. We could have a really good men's soccer team. Prime recruiting territory
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

What is your source for Sam and Jacksonville State?
SFASawmillGuy
https://www.itemonline.com/newsletters/moving-up-sam-houston-officially-joins-conference-usa/article_16253c62-178d-11ee-bc40-efbb19b6e1ab.amp.html

According to this article Sam's budget was around 20 million with about 10 coming from student athletic fees. A couple million more than us but not substantial. Considering we don't have athletic fees(yet), we could have a much higher budget.

https://www.inforum.com/mcfeely-blog-sam-houston-jacksonville-state-reportedly-bolting-for-fbs-as-top-of-fcs-continues-to-shrivel

According to this article JSU has an 18 million dollar budget, which is higher than another number of 13 million I saw on twitter.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

SFASawmillGuy said:

What is your source for Sam and Jacksonville State?

Knight Newhouse has the most comprehensive data base on college athletics spending.
NacMan
TallTexan said:

Rumor mill on campus says that the UT Board of Regents was shocked to find out that we are funding athletics out of tuition rather than via an athletics fee like other institutions. If athletics wants to maintain or grow their budget, I think SFA will need to implement an athletics fee to do so.

What's my endgame? I want to see academic staff and faculty finally paid decently. Study after study commissioned by SFA has shown that SFA faculty and staff are grossly underpaid compared to peer institutions. Given that, and given that the academic side has bore the brunt of budget cuts for the last 4 years, I don't think it is too much to ask that our athletics department to become a bit more self-funding through an athletics fee rather than continuing to grab $14.1 million away from academics.
SFA Jack Fanatic
How do you explain the fact that the Athletics Department's attempt to institute an athletics fee a few years ago was voted down by students, largely because many faculty members encouraged them to vote against it???
SFAJack_76
The 2023-2024 budget is $18,533,726 (of which $11,953,451 is from Designated Tuition (i.e. Direct Institutional support) and $6,580,275 is from self-generated and other auxiliary (pledged and non-pledged) revenue.

The prior year budget had a total of $18,050,885 (of which $11,930,519 was from Direct Institutional Support) and $6,120,336 from self-generated revenue. In FY23, Athletics provided back to the institution $7,976,256 in tuition/fee and auxiliary (room & board) revenue (scholarship and non-scholarship student-athletes) This "provided back" piece of data is one that those who advocate for the elimination of athletics refuse to believe, or have real discussion with our AD about.

According to a study by the University of Texas Longhorn foundation on donor behavior, 76% of athletic donors also give to academics. (We are in this group.) A University of Oregon study showed that donors engaged in athletics and academics give more over time.

Student-athletes at SFA graduate at a 12% higher rate than the student body.

I have more to do to better understand an "apples to apples" comparison of Sam and Jacksonville State budgets to SFA. It is certain that Sam is north of $20 million, and going up. I have no doubt that Jacksonville State is that or more. They pay Rich Rod $1 million.

Be clear, a reduced Athletic Department budget would mean eliminating sports. It won't be women's sports. It won't be football or MBB, the two most visible and highest revenue generating sports. A reduced budget would also mean that we won't compete in the WAC where the average is $25,500,824, with the highest at $46,025,000. SLC anyone?

Does our faculty need improved pay. Of course! That's exactly why we aren't independent any more. That's exactly why they got a 5% across the board increase on February 1, which came from the SFA general fund because, although the UT System membership wasn't approved yet, they said to do it.

I don't understand the hate that some of our academics have for athletics. All of the data indicates athletics are a positive.

Our next President is critical to our future.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

The 2023-2024 budget is $18,533,726 (of which $11,953,451 is from Designated Tuition (i.e. Direct Institutional support) and $6,580,275 is from self-generated and other auxiliary (pledged and non-pledged) revenue.

The prior year budget had a total of $18,050,885 (of which $11,930,519 was from Direct Institutional Support) and $6,120,336 from self-generated revenue. In FY23, Athletics provided back to the institution $7,976,256 in tuition/fee and auxiliary (room & board) revenue (scholarship and non-scholarship student-athletes) This "provided back" piece of data is one that those who advocate for the elimination of athletics refuse to believe, or have real discussion with our AD about.

According to a study by the University of Texas Longhorn foundation on donor behavior, 76% of athletic donors also give to academics. (We are in this group.) A University of Oregon study showed that donors engaged in athletics and academics give more over time.

Student-athletes at SFA graduate at a 12% higher rate than the student body.

I have more to do to better understand an "apples to apples" comparison of Sam and Jacksonville State budgets to SFA. It is certain that Sam is north of $20 million, and going up. I have no doubt that Jacksonville State is that or more. They pay Rich Rod $1 million.

Be clear, a reduced Athletic Department budget would mean eliminating sports. It won't be women's sports. It won't be football or MBB, the two most visible and highest revenue generating sports. A reduced budget would also mean that we won't compete in the WAC where the average is $25,500,824, with the highest at $46,025,000. SLC anyone?

Does our faculty need improved pay. Of course! That's exactly why we aren't independent any more. That's exactly why they got a 5% across the board increase on February 1, which came from the SFA general fund because, although the UT System membership wasn't approved yet, they said to do it.

I don't understand the hate that some of our academics have for athletics. All of the data indicates athletics are a positive.

Our next President is critical to our future.

Bring it. I agree. Hats off to 76'.

I would like to see SHSU & Jacksonville State's external funding. I believe Sam was less than 1/2 of ours.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Thanks to 76 for his good info here.

So NacMan says word on the street was the UT BOR was shocked that SFA covers athletics through tuition instead of athletics fee. So, could that turn into UT system will "force" SFA to institute an athletic fee to help cover that budget? I would think under their umbrella they could make such a change although I don't know if that's true.
If it has to be done by student vote, I don't believe it will ever pass here. Most students seem to not be engaged with SFA athletics and therefore will not vote to make their college bill even higher.

BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

So NacMan says word on the street was the UT BOR was shocked that SFA covers athletics through tuition instead of athletics fee. So, could that turn into UT system will "force" SFA to institute an athletic fee to help cover that budget? I would think under their umbrella they could make such a change although I don't know if that's true.
If it has to be done by student vote, I don't believe it will ever pass here. Most students seem to not be engaged with SFA athletics and therefore will not vote to make their college bill even higher.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
SFASawmillGuy
The fact is if SFA implements an athletic fee, our department will flourish and continue to grow. That's all down the board. We would probably become richer than a handful of FBS programs.

If we don't and keep what we're doing, as Ryan Ivey said we will continue to be left behind by even our own conference.
NacMan
Do I hate athletics? No. I am a huge sports fan and watch college and NFL every Saturday and Sunday.

Do students care a lot about athletics? Considering that SFA students voted down athletic fees last time by something like 65%-35%, it sure doesn't look like it. UT-Tyler is absolutely booming with an athletics budget of less than $5 million. UT-Tyler is giving their faculty a 13% raise this year, and their faculty were already making 20% more than SFA faculty. SFA is likely going to implement another salary freeze, which would be the 4th in 5 years.

While the 6% given to faculty and staff here at SFA in 2022 was at least something, it was the only pay increase of any kind since 2018. That's why the reaction against Scott Gordon's raise was so furious. Our staff salary scale is still from 2012. SFA's Charter School, which people point to with pride, can't keep teachers because they pay only in the mid-30s. Starting pay at Nac ISD is $50,000.

(And while it is "only" a 3 million difference, the SFA '24 budget on page G.11 clearly states that designated tuition transferred $14,164,505 to athletics, not $11m million. That means over 25% of all tuition dollars collected by SFA from students for taking classes goes to fund athletics.)

I am in complete agreement that our next President will be make-or-break for SFA. But I think I must respectfully disagree over which area of campus needs more investment - my view is that academics at SFA is absolutely cut to the bone and starved near to death.
SFAJack_76
NacMan said:

Do I hate athletics? No. I am a huge sports fan and watch college and NFL every Saturday and Sunday.
So, you watch sports on TV.

How many SFA athletic events have you been to in support of our student-athletes in the last year? Tennis, volleyball, softball, soccer, baseball, basketball, T&F, anything?
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

One should always be skeptical when the local rumor mill exactly matches ones priors.

It'd be like if I said "UT was shocked that tickets on the visitors side weren't 5 dollars".

Student fee, direct tuition investment from the school. Its the same funders, the student body.

Those student athletic fee votes have worse turnout than a Texas off year election. And fwiw, it's 1 win for the fee, and one loss.

But if UT just bumped tuition up 150 bucks, it's the exact same revenue raised as a fee.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.