General Academic Thread

171,994 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rollo Thomassie said:

Well, I may be wrong, but I don't see anything in the floorplan that says, "Faculty offices." I see "Administrative offices," but that's different. Am I missing something?

By the way, if anyone is interested in a budget whitewash, read this article in the Pine Log: http://www.thepinelog.com/article_1a4b42a2-8862-11ec-8966-8fa4e755fae7.html. It would be pretty funny if it wasn't so serious.

Also, my efforts to secure a barber's chair for my program…rebuffed. Apparently some see barber's chairs as superfluous to SFA's mission. Can you imagine that? I mean, c'mon!

I listened to the entire BOR meeting via the interweb….LOL. Including the Hanover Consulting presentation and the VP of Finance. Your characterization is incorrect.
BigJack85
Beyond Rollo. Here's some "real" academic news that I thought was positive

*Mechanical and Electrical Engineering degrees expected to be approved in the spring
*Doctorate in Social Work is in the works.
*Freshmen and Transfer applications are up close to 30%.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

*Mechanical and Electrical Engineering degrees expected to be approved in the spring
I think that those 3 degrees will do well for SFA.

Glad to see applications are up after last years downward trend.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

We attended the first Alumni Association Ambassador assembly this past weekend. Dr. Gordon mentioned all of those in his short address to the group. He also spoke to the rapid growth of the new aviation program. He commented, without detail, that we did very well in the 87th Texas Legislature for funding. Expect to see badly needed improvements to some existing facilities starting perhaps as early as this summer. There is a cross campus group visiting and assessing every building, looking for needs and usage efficiency opportunities. Athletic facilities are included in the assessments. (We still need an athletics facilities specific master plan. SFA has never had that.)

The capital campaign is just short of $90 million. The expectation is the $100 million goal will be achieved by the end of 2022. Then, the next, much more aggressive, campaign will start.

Dr. Gordon is always high energy and positive, but it sounds like some very exciting things are happening.

Applications for fall enrollment up nearly 30% is outstanding.

Jacks4460
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

We attended the first Alumni Association Ambassador assembly this past weekend. Dr. Gordon mentioned all of those in his short address to the group. He also spoke to the rapid growth of the new aviation program. He commented, without detail, that we did very well in the 87th Texas Legislature for funding. Expect to see badly needed improvements to some existing facilities starting perhaps as early as this summer. There is a cross campus group visiting and assessing every building, looking for needs and usage efficiency opportunities. Athletic facilities are included in the assessments. (We still need an athletics facilities specific master plan. SFA has never had that.)

The capital campaign is just short of $90 million. The expectation is the $100 million goal will be achieved by the end of 2022. Then, the next, much more aggressive, campaign will start.

Dr. Gordon is always high energy and positive, but it sounds like some very exciting things are happening.

I love Dr Gordon...
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I love Dr Gordon...

I hope his (Dr Gordon's) assessment of applications/enrollment is accurate.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Jacks4460 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I love Dr Gordon...

I hope his (Dr Gordon's) assessment of applications/enrollment is accurate.
It's data from admissions. They also were at the assembly.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

He commented, without detail, that we did very well in the 87th Texas Legislature for funding. Expect to see badly needed improvements to some existing facilities starting perhaps as early as this summer. There is a cross campus group visiting and assessing every building, looking for needs and usage efficiency opportunities. Athletic facilities are included in the assessments. (We still need an athletics facilities specific master plan. SFA has never had that.)

Glad to hear we're at 90 mil. And that TxLege helped us out. Without getting into politics specifically, we need to take a page out of the Texas Tech playbook and get more lumberjacks into TXLege. Would do wonders for us staying independent long term.

Do we know how much we ended up receiving from the Cole estate?
TallTexan
Also I would love to see an athletics master plan.
Rollo Thomassie
Well, I don't think this is enough offices to accommodate all the faculty. That might explain why the music faculty people were going building to building looking for office space. Or maybe it is just a dumb rumor. We'll see.

So, can anyone tell me whether SFA is running a budget deficit this year or not? If so, what is it? If no one can tell me, isn't that a rather damning indictment of SFA's budgeting process?

I understand that SFA's current enrollment is about 10,500, down from a peak of around 13,000 a few years back. I certainly hope enrollment increases, but applications are just that. Reminds me of the presentations given by representatives of that marketing firm the board of regents foolishly hired years ago. They invariably claimed that everything was up applications, campus visits, webpage visits, etc. but all this never translated into higher enrollment.

You guys got me all wrong, man. I am one hundred percent behind prioritizing athletics. That's why I supported the construction of that thirty million dollar practice basketball facility that benefits fifty people. And although I haven't gotten a raise in three years probably due to chronic incompetence I am confident that, someday, I might get a university-issued barber's chair too. Fingers crossed.
nacluth
Rollo Thomassie said:

Well, I don't think this is enough offices to accommodate all the faculty. That might explain why the music faculty people were going building to building looking for office space. Or maybe it is just a dumb rumor.
It's not. That's why there's other faculty offices for music, dance, and other fine arts on other floors, but your first question about no office space on the plans is flatly answered.
Jacks4460
It is 85 he is a very smart man and will not throw out any random numbers just for the sake of it.. He knows everything he does will be scrutinized by others so I am sure he can back it up..
nacluth
Rollo Thomassie said:

So, can anyone tell me whether SFA is running a budget deficit this year or not? If so, what is it? If no one can tell me, isn't that a rather damning indictment of SFA's budgeting process?
The University Budget Council was set up to answer this question for you. Again, all this information is easily obtainable through the SFA website or a quick search.

https://sfasu.edu/ubc

Here's the list of the people that could answer your question if you actually wanted to know. They are all easily contactable as their emails are listed on the page referenced.
nacluth
Rollo Thomassie said:

You guys got me all wrong, man. I am one hundred percent behind prioritizing athletics. That's why I supported the construction of that thirty million dollar practice basketball facility that benefits fifty people. And although I haven't gotten a raise in three years probably due to chronic incompetence I am confident that, someday, I might get a university-issued barber's chair too. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for joining an athletic forum to discuss your athletic concerns. Trolling however has never been allowed here, and you are verging on it. Many have tried to engage you on the actual substance and have provided answers to virtually every question with details whereas you have responded mainly with sarcasm and disdain. Sounds like you have gotten all you need from us.

Please engage in substantive discourse or move along.
BigJack85
Rollo Thomassie said:

Well, I don't think this is enough offices to accommodate all the faculty. That might explain why the music faculty people were going building to building looking for office space. Or maybe it is just a dumb rumor. We'll see.

I understand that SFA's current enrollment is about 10,500, down from a peak of around 13,000 a few years back. I certainly hope enrollment increases, but applications are just that. Reminds me of the presentations given by representatives of that marketing firm the board of regents foolishly hired years ago. They invariably claimed that everything was up applications, campus visits, webpage visits, etc. but all this never translated into higher enrollment.

Rollo, I have actually seen the barbers chair that you speak of. I believe it was funded with private donations. At any rate I could find one on eBay for less than $3000.

Parts of the university are underfunded, no doubt. Your "aim" seems to be off quite a bit. Likely you have a PhD Your training and or vocation have left you bitter and empty. Move the sarcasm out of here.
BigJack85
Rollo Thomassie said:

Rollo. Do the right thing. Compare apples to apples. You compared fall enrollment to spring enrollment. That shows me that you are NOT interested in truth or linear comparison.
wahlwesle
Rollo Thomassie said:

SFA's fiscal year ends in August, so the current fiscal year 21-22 budget uploaded to the budget website at the end of August 2021 is still current.

https://www.sfasu.edu/budget
SFA Jack Fanatic

Sounds like it's about time to investigate different careers that pay much better than college teaching. There are lots of them out there.
Jacks4460
Rollo if you want next time I am in Nacogdoches I can take you on a tour of our field house and let you meet some of our student athletes.. It really is cool getting to know them and some of their stories on how our university has given them the chance in life to better their situation..If it wasn't for organized sports a lot of them wouldn't be working towards a SFASU degree which means a lot to us..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

Rollo if you want next time I am in Nacogdoches I can take you on a tour of our field house and let you meet some of our student athletes.. It really is cool getting to know them and some of their stories on how our university has given them the chance in life to better their situation..If it wasn't for organized sports a lot of them wouldn't be working towards a SFASU degree which means a lot to us..

I wouldn't waste the time. Having a PHd doesn't mean you have the power of deductive reasoning. Clearly Rollo got out his repertory "shotgun" and started firing.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Jacks4460 said:

I wouldn't waste the time. Having a PHd doesn't mean you have the power of deductive reasoning. Clearly Rollo got out his repertory "shotgun" and started firing.
Agree, but he/she would never take 4460 up on the offer anyway. If indeed she/he is a real SFA professor, he/she has zero interest in facts, or learning about our student-athletes, and what they bring to the university.
SFAJack_76
Very cool.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Huge
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Texasheli
Agree!
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Huge
Finally! This is gonna be big for SFA!
SFAJack_76
http://www.engineering.sfasu.edu/
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

http://www.engineering.sfasu.edu/

Great news. I hope we "ditch" the pre-engineering curriculum.
SFAJack_76
Apparently, the hot rumor around campus is that the BOR is going to announce pursuing being a part of a university system. Lunch today concludes the three day scheduled meeting.
nacluth
I've been hearing a growing bunch of rumors too, but haven't heard anything official. This could be interesting.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Apparently, the hot rumor around campus is that the BOR is going to announce pursuing being a part of a university system. Lunch today concludes the three day scheduled meeting.

Sounds like it is going to happen.
PurpleOut
Staff
Not sure that I like it overall, but I also think it will be a good move for the university (and athletic department).
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Enlighten me, 76. What would be the pros and cons?
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Enlighten me, 76. What would be the pros and cons?
I'm the wrong person to lay that out. I don't know enough about the subject.
NacMan
Rumor is that it is a done deal, but I have heard the exact same rumor for many, many years. We'll see.

Here's a longish Q&A that a news site posted when Midwestern State was considering whether to join the Texas Tech system.
https://www.texomashomepage.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/41/2020/02/System-QA-1.pdf

If SFA does join a system, the most likely candidates would be Tech or A&M based on proximity of existing branch campuses.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.