General Academic Thread

171,561 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

I bet. It used to be 20 years ago that when the government wanted to do an environmental reclamation project, they would put $60 million in a certain project. The $60M would bring $1M in interest, so the project could run for a year on $1M with never touching the principal. I bet that has now gotten close to $80M. This is probably the seed money to draw in other investment and act as the endowment for the school.
That's pretty interesting.

I think this will be good for East Texas.

Still think SFA needs a School of Health for producing everything other than MDs.
BigJack85
I like thinking "attainable in the near term". I would like us (SFA) to our continued effort into getting a mechanical and electrical engineering degrees.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

I like thinking "attainable in the near term". I would like us (SFA) to our continued effort into getting a mechanical and electrical engineering degrees.

Ya the School of Health is on my 20 year plan.

Mechanical & electrical engineering definitely need to happen asap.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Really, really good read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/04/mitch-daniels-purdue/606772/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share
SFAJack_76
Worth sharing.
nacluth
SFA making announcement at 3. Expected to move to online classes and not have students return.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

SFA making announcement at 3. Expected to move to online classes and not have students return.

Wow. And public school still going on
djsfw57
Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

Wow. And public school still going on
We just got word that all schools here in Ohio will be closed beginning Monday for 3 weeks.
nacluth
SFA spring break extended a week then just online classes until April 6th for now.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
BigJack85
SFA is always looking for ways to increase enrollment... after this crisis careers in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology and Nursing will be a top priority for the state. Hopefully,,,, just hoping SFA gets in front of this opportunity instead of playing "catch-up".
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

SFA is always looking for ways to increase enrollment... after this crisis careers in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology and Nursing will be a top priority for the state. Hopefully,,,, just hoping SFA gets in front of this opportunity instead of playing "catch-up".

I never really wanted to be an MD, but after this, I do know that if I went down that path I'd want to be an epidemiologist.
TallTexan
I know we really liked Tarleton's last president. Seems like they hired another good one.

https://www.tarleton.edu/president/biography.html
BigJack85
Let's harness SFA's strength in the natural sciences. We can do more! Onward and Axe 'Em Jacks!
PurpleOut
Staff
I feel like this can go in the academic thread, seeing as how the logo was approved by the school.

TallTexan
PurpleOut said:

I feel like this can go in the academic thread, seeing as how the logo was approved by the school.

I was so, so mad about this. Self inflicted wound tbh.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Dr Gordon is gonna earn his paycheck over the next 3 to 5 years.

Fundraising in this economy? State budget cuts?

He's got his work cut out for him.
BigJack85
Agreed. He'll need a lot of support from active alumni.

Axe 'Em Jacks!
BigJack85
Just got this from HBU, got my MS at HBU.

To help ease the financial concerns of students and families, the HBU Fund Campaign is furthering the University's financial aid efforts. Congress has allocated $2,615,603 to HBU, half of which is being awarded as emergency financial aid grants directly to students, through the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

SFAJack_76
Students today have zero clue how much more they have than we did way back when.
nacluth
Ha ha ha ha.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
This is about Sports & school funding and SFA, so I'll put it here.

https://mattbrown.substack.com/p/guest-contribution-we-know-a-little
SFA Jack Fanatic
Interesting story, especially since the topic will most definitely affect SFA. Thanks for sharing, Texan.
TallTexan
I'm glad I actually read it. Thought it was gonna be about North Dakota from the email header and then saw they'd interviewed an SFA prof.
SFAJack_76
Stephen Kosovich/Kosivich/Kosvich .... hard for me to put much credence in a story that spells his name three different ways.

I wonder if Dr. Kosovich was one of the faculty that actively campaigned against the student athletic fee.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

This was an under rated post.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

TallTexan said:

This was an under rated post.

Whatever were paying him is not enough.
SFAJack_76
Story on planning for reopening.

https://www.dailysentinel.com/coronavirus/article_03e2ef2f-6a80-54cc-b465-4c0b1c7ca8ae.html
BigJack85
Based on projections for other universities of SFA's size and scope the expectation is that enrollment might be off substantially this fall. It would not shock me to see enrollment drop down to 9,000 - 10,000. I don't think this will be permanent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.