General Academic Thread

172,022 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This will be big for SFA if it's Tech, A&M, or UT. Lots to gain and not too many downsides.

And it's state law that SFA can't change its name, so we're not losing that.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

This will be big for SFA if it's Tech, A&M, or UT. Lots to gain and not too many downsides.

I don't think there's a UT system school that doesn't start with "University of Texas". Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd be surprised if UT was the destination, despite the law.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

I would hope not. I think it would kill me if SFA changed its name.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

TallTexan said:

I would hope not. I think it would kill me if SFA changed its name.
Tedd Mitchell, chancellor of the Tech system, got his BS in 1983 from SFA.
BigJack85
I read the BOR news release. It sounds like the issue is being discussed. And that's it.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

TallTexan said:

I don't think there's a UT system school that doesn't start with "University of Texas". Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd be surprised if UT was the destination, despite the law.
Rick Perry thought it was good for his re-election one time and got it passed into law that SFA & Sam cannot change their name. I haven't looked at the particulars lately, but I'd think it would be unfeasible politically in the state to remove one of these names right now.

That said, that seems the unlikeliest destination with Tyler so close.
DKCountry
Look at the footprints and you might have a clearer forecast.... UT has a campus in Tyler, so it's not UT. A&M has a campus in Commerce, not gonna be A&M. U of H has stated many times not interested. Now you're down to TTech and the Texas State System. If I was to wager, more likely to fit into the Texas State System with Sam, Lamar, Texas State than with TTech. Just my opinion.
BigJack85
DKCountry said:

Look at the footprints and you might have a clearer forecast.... UT has a campus in Tyler, so it's not UT. A&M has a campus in Commerce, not gonna be A&M. U of H has stated many times not interested. Now you're down to TTech and the Texas State System. If I was to wager, more likely to fit into the Texas State System with Sam, Lamar, Texas State than with TTech. Just my opinion.

I agree. I think it will be one of the two. I differ, I believe it will be Texas Tech.
SFA Jack Fanatic
DKCountry said:

Welcome to the Forums, DK! Add your comments on all topics often. It's good to see a different face (so the speak) every now and then.
SFA88
BigJack85 said:

DKCountry said:

I agree. I think it will be one of the two. I differ, I believe it will be Texas Tech.

Commerce is further away than Huntsville. I don't think A&M would be out of the question but having a university east of Angelo State may be appealing to Tech. I'm leaning that way too.
TallTexan
I'll be honest, I would be disappointed if it were the TXST system.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Who knows if it will even happen…….
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

Agree.
TallTexan
Was talking with my brother today who pointed out an aspect of a potential Tech/SFA partnership I hadn't considered.

A&M pouring money into Tartleton & trying to get them to FBS is going to take students away from Tech in the same way that Texas growing UT Tyler is doing to SFA.

Tech/SFA partnership would allow them to have a system presence East of 35 that could help both SFA & Tech grow because they can cover the entire state.
NacMan
DKCountry said:

There's still a simmering anger and frustration among staff & faculty on campus. I think if it is the Texas State system, that's going to boil over big time. The Texas State system is very weak and it is basically like being in no system at all.

Everyone I know on campus is cheering for Tech or A&M (A&M is in the mix becasue Commerce is actually quite far away from Nac - we are closer to College Station than we are to Commerce. Commerce is more Dallas area than it is East Texas.)
BigJack85
NacMan said:

DKCountry said:

There's still a simmering anger and frustration among staff & faculty on campus. I think if it is the Texas State system, that's going to boil over big time. The Texas State system is very weak and it is basically like being in no system at all.

Everyone I know on campus is cheering for Tech or A&M (A&M is in the mix becasue Commerce is actually quite far away from Nac - we are closer to College Station than we are to Commerce. Commerce is more Dallas area than it is East Texas.)

Let it be Tech. Faculty and staff think this is going to be a gift from heaven. I disagree. Don't see huge changes with a system. Maybe we get some help building out the engineering program while enhancing our forestry and agriculture college.
BigJack85
Looks like the rumors are true. Recent letter from Steve Westbrook confirms we are looking at system affiliation.
PurpleOut
Staff
I had deleted my post because I wasn't sure who it all went to, but saw it posted on social media so the cat is out of the bag and no longer a rumor.

Quote:

Dear Lumberjacks,

Greetings from 'mid Texas pines and peaceful shrines!

As many of you know, I returned to SFA last April to serve as interim president until a new president is selected. I love our university, and it was with pride that I kicked off the 2022 fall semester today at our annual Welcome Back Meeting with faculty and staff. It has always been energizing to see everyone back and ready to get started as we anticipate the first of several move-in days for our residential students tomorrow. Remember your move-in day? It was 45 years ago tomorrow that I first set foot on the SFA campus as a freshman, and the excitement of seeing new students take their first step as a Lumberjack never seems to get old.

Each year at the Welcome Back Meeting, the president recognizes new faculty members and provides information to our campus community about the coming year. This year, I shared something special with our campus family, and I want to share it with our alumni family, as well.

As you may be aware, SFA is not affiliated with any of the seven university systems in Texas. We are one of two universities that remain unaffiliated, the other being Texas Southern University. Several university systems have made informal inquiries over the years regarding our willingness to evaluate the potential benefit to our university of being a system member. These inquiries have continued, and our Board of Regents believes the time is right to engage formally with representatives of those systems that have expressed interest to determine if affiliation is beneficial to SFA.

Although the decision regarding affiliation ultimately rests with the Board of Regents, I have been asked to develop an organized and comprehensive process to gather input from our campus community and our alumni that will be provided to them prior to their decision.

I have met with the Alumni Association's executive committee and reviewed our process for gathering this input. You will receive information from them in the near future about how you can participate and I hope you will.

I want you to know that I believe this work our Board of Regents is undertaking is the right thing to do at the right time. I applaud them for having the courage to engage in what can be both an exciting and sensitive undertaking. Many of us have, for some time, loved the fact we were not affiliated with a system but we can't ignore the growing challenges of being a stand-alone institution. Our primary focus has to be on what is best for SFA and our students so that the next century will be even better than the first 100 years!

So, be on the lookout for future communication coming soon from the association about how you can be part of this process.

Thank you for being a Lumberjack!
Axe 'em!

Dr. Steve Westbrook, President

Steve Westbrook '81 & '89
Interim President

PurpleOut
Staff
In the coming days there's going to be an open portal for alumni to share comments, concerns, questions, etc.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

In the coming days there's going to be an open portal for alumni to share comments, concerns, questions, etc.

I'll be engaged.
SFAJack_76
UT, Tech, Texas State, and A&M are the systems that have shown interest.
Pilotgirl
Hoping for TT!

BTW, Vanessa is the new Regional Coordinator for Houston-South in the admissions dept. for SFA. She was in Nac all week for training. If yall have/know of HS students interested in SFA, send them her way & she will help them out!
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

UT, Tech, Texas State, and A&M are the systems that have shown interest.
All but Texas State would be a huge upgrade.

A&M worries me. They too often forget there are 11 schools in their system for my taste.

I'd be happy with UT or Tech. Though I do wonder what Texas strategic plan would be with UT Tyler just down the road.
NacMan
Well, UT would insist on a name change. They don't have any branches that aren't "University of Texas - X." Yes, there's legislation protecting SFA's name, but it will take legislation to put SFA into a system and it is as simple as adding a line changing the name.

Tech would not insist on a name change.

A&M may or may not insist on a name change. There's some precedent with Tarleton State. Or maybe they'll propose a minor tweak like "SFA A&M"

Texas State system is, I hope, not a serious contender.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

Well, UT would insist on a name change. They don't have any branches that aren't "University of Texas - X." Yes, there's legislation protecting SFA's name, but it will take legislation to put SFA into a system and it is as simple as adding a line changing the name.

A&M may or may not insist on a name change. There's some precedent with Tarleton State. Or maybe they'll propose a minor tweak like "SFA A&M"

SFA A&M, NOOOOOOOOOOO

SFA A member of Texas Tech University system. YES
TallTexan
NacMan said:

The current politics of Texas would not allow Stephen F. Austin the man "to be cancelled" with UT Nacogdoches or East Texas A&M, etc. People who don't even know SFASU exists right now would be chaining themselves to Surfing Steve to protest.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

NacMan said:

The current politics of Texas would not allow Stephen F. Austin the man "to be cancelled" with UT Nacogdoches or East Texas A&M, etc. People who don't even know SFASU exists right now would be chaining themselves to Surfing Steve to protest.
I would rather eat olives and tomatoes and watch golf, baseball, and NASCAR every day for the rest of my life than have any name change at all. And I HATE all of those things.
SFA, Class of 1979
BigJack85
That would be one positive aspect of a Texas Tech or Texas State system move.
NacMan
Looks like I am alone, but I rather like the ring of "Stephen F. Austin A&M University." Wouldn't have to change the logo either since the "SFA" wouldn't change.
SFA88
djsfw57 said:

I would rather eat olives and tomatoes and watch golf, baseball, and NASCAR every day for the rest of my life than have any name change at all. And I HATE all of those things.

Lol djsfw57, why don't you tell us how you really feel about it.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

Looks like I am alone, but I rather like the ring of "Stephen F. Austin A&M University." Wouldn't have to change the logo either since the "SFA" wouldn't change.

I don't know what the exact breakdown was. A faculty survey a few years ago, pointed to Texas Tech as the favorite for a couple of reasons. One of them was perceived fit/goals.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
NacMan said:

I threw up a little in my mouth.
djsfw57
SFA88 said:

djsfw57 said:

Lol djsfw57, why don't you tell us how you really feel about it.
LOL I guess I am not good at sugar coating things.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

NacMan said:

I threw up a little in my mouth.

Me, too! Not no, but H*** no!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.