General Academic Thread

171,680 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Awesome, would love to see more of this.
Pilotgirl
https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ut-tyler-receives-grant-for-higher-ed-stem-careers/article_faf240ec-440b-11e9-86d3-97a98710762a.html
TallTexan
Out of curiosity, would anyone happen to know if you can add a junior college to a University System?
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

Out of curiosity, would anyone happen to know if you can add a junior college to a University System?
I don't believe you can add them to the system but you can do a MOU between the two.
SFAJack_76
Impressive, I think.
TallTexan
Spent all day at the Dogwood festival with State Farm & it occurred to me, why doesn't SFA have a team to attend events like that?

Or do we?
nacluth
Development does handle things like that unless SFA Alumni Association has a reason too. Don't know how many town festivals they do, but they do set up at different events.
TallTexan
Cool. I figured there was something done, but would love to see us take an active presence in East Texas.

I even talked to one person who was trying to decide between Palestine & Nac as places to move from SoCal.

Talked to another who'd just moved from SoCal. People are moving here, we need to get out and meet them before one of them shady Bearkats gets in their ear.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Impressive, I think.

VERY impressive! Ooh rah! (Is that what the Army says??)
TallTexan
SFAJack_76
Champions.
TallTexan
nacluth
Just got word that a friend of mine was appointed to the Board of Regents. I'm really stoked because she will be a great influence moving forward.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Just got word that a friend of mine was appointed to the Board of Regents. I'm really stoked because she will be a great influence moving forward.

Yes, we finally have an in!
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Also, is she the one who cared as much about the architectural styles as I do?
nacluth
Actually yes
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Actually yes
Finally. Our long architectural nightmare is over. Dawn breaks on a new day of cohesive styles!
TallTexan
This isn't directly related to Academics, but could you imagine where SFA would be today if we had been given an endowment of even a small portion of mineral rights in East Texas when we were founded in 1923?

Was doing some reading on the East Texas oilfield this morning & came across this mindboggling stat.

Quote:

Since its discovery, the East Texas Oil Field has produced more than 5.2 billion barrels (830,000,000 m3) of oil, and it originally contained more than 7 billion barrels (1.1109 m3).[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Texas_Oil_Field#cite_note-ReferenceA-3][3][/url][url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Texas_Oil_Field#cite_note-15][15][/url] At the 2018 price of about $55/bbl, the past production would be worth around $285 billion today.
TallTexan
Some interesting projects in the upcoming regents budget report.

This one is odd to me & potentially wasteful. A 150k architectural study on a 230k dollar house? What am I missing here?

Project # 10 Architectural Assessment for House at 1401 N. Mound Street
  • Project Manager Physical Plant
  • Architect/Engineer Goodwin-Lasiter-Strong & Two Fifteen
  • Consulting Contractor NA
  • Scope of Work: On July 25, 2017, the regents approved the purchase of a house located at 1401 N. Mound Street from Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison. A historical residence, the house is located adjacent to university property. The architectural firm Facilities Programming and Consulting (FP&C) has assessed the space and made recommendations for its use. The university would like to engage a comprehensive architectural design plan for the house and property.
  • Funding source: Higher Education Fund
Key Milestones:
  • Begun: September 2018 Expected
  • Completion: April 2019
  • Project budget of $150,000 approved by board on July 23, 2018
  • Project Status: Property survey completed (for plat and utilities) Users currently reviewing kitchen layout Designers working on preliminary budget numbers
  • Project Budget Expenditure Encumbered Total to Date Variance 150,000 8,818 5,768 14,586 135,414
TallTexan
http://www.sfasu.edu/sites/default/files/2019-04/bor-report-04.28-30.2019.pdf
TallTexan
For those who want some light reading on facilities planning, this is fantastic.

http://www.sfasu.edu/vpfa/documents/campus-space-strategy.pdf

I'm about 25% of the way through.

Notable things include: Someone suggested moving the Old Stone Fort to a more prominent location.

Library Redesign Requests

Consolidating academic & administrative departments into the same buildings as their closest colleagues.

Glad to see we're doing some serious planning instead of the prior seemingly Helter Skelter approach.
TallTexan
FWIW, here's my lifetime building & space planning dream list for SFA if I ever have a large sum of money to donate.

• Renovate facade on the Core of Campus including Library into a classic yet visually appealing facade.
  • Demolish Steen Towers, Hall 14 & 16, East Cafe.
  • Replace Steen with Large Residence Hall Complex with bottom floor food & study options.
  • Replace East Cafe & Hall 20 with College of Business Building.
  • Remove Track & Field from Football Stadium, bring in visitor side stands & scoreboard side berm for ultimate college stadium.
  • Replace Athletics offices with new, architecturally striking building.
  • Purchase Nac Memorial Hospital & land in between hospital & campus to build College of Health.
  • Purchase wooded area in between commuter's lot & post office.
  • Raze & Redevelop HPE. Olympic Pool center, bowling lanes, fitness space, etc.
  • On campus (or near campus) sports complex. Soccer, Baseball, Softball, Track.

Also would love to see a continuous, appealing architectural style across campus. Stop the new fad nonsense. Campus architecture should be beautiful, timeless, & contiguous.

Yes, I know I just proposed 500 million in new projects. I'll keep dreaming & working on making money lol.

Pilotgirl
She's wayyy too much like me Lol
Anyway, anyone know any deets?

SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

FWIW, here's my lifetime building & space planning dream list for SFA if I ever have a large sum of money to donate.

• Renovate facade on the Core of Campus including Library into a classic yet visually appealing facade.
  • Replace Steen with Large Residence Hall Complex with bottom floor food & study options.
  • Remove Track & Field from Football Stadium, bring in visitor side stands & scoreboard side berm for ultimate college stadium.
  • Purchase Nac Memorial Hospital & land in between hospital & campus to build College of Health.

Also would love to see a continuous, appealing architectural style across campus. Stop the new fad nonsense. Campus architecture should be beautiful, timeless, & contiguous.

Yes, I know I just proposed 500 million in new projects. I'll keep dreaming & working on making money lol.

Perhaps you can get Tillman Fertitta to adopt you and convert him to SFA from UH?
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

Perhaps you can get Tillman Fertitta to adopt you and convert him to SFA from UH?
I mean if we're aiming high lol. Everyone meet my new parents, Bill & Melinda.

Like for real, I don't even think my parents would be too mad to be honest.
TallTexan
Pilotgirl, I don't know, but I want to know.

And V is right. When they announce it they better shout it to the heavens.
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

She's wayyy too much like me Lol
Anyway, anyone know any deets?

From the BOR agenda for today:

"The Board of Regents will recess at approximately 11:30 a.m. for lunch, followed by naming ceremonies at the Mathematical Sciences Building and the ROTC obstacle course. A quorum is expected to be present but no action will be taken. The meeting will reconvene at approximately 3:30 p.m."

I have not seen anything publicly on the math building. I had picked up a tweet about the ROTC obstacle course the I shared in a different thread.
SFAJack_76
From the April 8, telephone BOR meeting:

NAMING OF THE BUSH MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES BUILDING (EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEM)
Explanation:
In accordance with Board Rules and Regulations and university policy 1.5, Naming Guidelines, buildings and other facilities may be named for persons, both living and deceased, who make a significant donation to the university. The board will consider the appropriate naming of the existing mathematics building located at 901 East Library Drive on the campus of Stephen F. Austin State University.
Recommendation:
The administration recommends that the board name the existing mathematics building located on the Stephen F. Austin State University campus for Roy E. and Linda Bush. It is further recommended that the following resolution be adopted:
WHEREAS, Roy E. Bush was born in Amarillo and grew up in Childress, Texas; and
WHEREAS, he attended Stephen F. Austin State University and received a bachelor of science in mathematics degree in 1957; and
WHEREAS, since graduating from SFA, he served his country in the U.S. Navy; and afterwards, served as Vice President of Conoco Egypt, where he managed drilling operations in Louisiana, Egypt and Italy; and
WHEREAS, he was married to Linda Bush for almost 54 years; and passed away August 13, 2018; and
WHEREAS, out of dedication for her beloved husband, Linda Bush also developed a devotion for his alma mater; and
WHEREAS, they both saw the value of this institution and embraced it with their resources; and
WHEREAS, in their loyal dedication to Stephen F. Austin State University through their generous gifts of support and standards of excellence, they have set a distinguished example for others;
NOW, THEREFORE, LET IT BE RESOLVED, the Board of Regents expresses its admiration, gratitude and high regard for Roy and Linda Bush by naming the existing mathematics building situated on the SFA campus the Roy E. and Linda Bush Mathematical Sciences Building.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

From the April BOR meeting:

NAMING OF THE BUSH MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES BUILDING (EXECUTIVE SESSION ITEM)

NOW, THEREFORE, LET IT BE RESOLVED, the Board of Regents expresses its admiration, gratitude and high regard for Roy and Linda Bush by naming the existing mathematics building situated on the SFA campus the Roy E. and Linda Bush Mathematical Sciences Building.

Wonderful!
TallTexan
Yep, I double checked the last regents meeting notes. They did an executive session on a potential naming opportunity, but no details on there or on twitter.

But it said they were adjourning for a naming ceremony, so it sounds like a done deal. That's atleast a million dollar donation: http://givetosfa.sfasu.edu/give.php?id=60

Also, FWIW, I think up until recently, it ran 5 million to get a college named after you, so it's interesting that they bumped that to 10 million.
TallTexan
Looks like Roy recently passed away & was a math major at SFA.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=roy-e-bush&pid=190106653

Interesting life, played football at A&M & West Point, SFA Bachelors. Navy vet, raised by Amon Carter's brother.

West Texas guy with a heart in the Pineywoods.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.