General Academic Thread

172,260 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nacluth said:

I believe it was all staff. My brother just got an entry level job (not in athletics) and he got it on his second paycheck.

Nice. Very good.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
I happened onto a live feed. Perhaps someone can find an archive of it to share. It was brief. Dr Westbrook gave a recap of the process that brought about the decision to join a system and ultimately to choose the UT System. The UT System chair gave even shorter comments about their commitment and excitement about the merger.
SFAJack_76

BigJack85
Just received the latest "Sawdust" magazine. Lots of information about new construction projects. Very exciting times. Very optimistic.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
The bills passed the committees in both the Senate and the House. It's possible that both full bodies vote on them this coming week.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

The bills passed the committees in both the Senate and the House. It's possible that both full bodies vote on them this coming week.

Sounds very positive. Very.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

I might be misremembering, but if it passes with a high enough percentage, it goes into effect immediately right?
SFAJack_76
I believe the expectation is that SFA becomes part of the UT system at midnight on August 31, to match the fiscal year. This happens after the previously discussed, momentary, disbanding of SFA. That's necessary to qualify for PUF money.

The UT system will not start the SFA President search until the bill is signed by the governor. Because, you just never know. The last day for Dr. Westbrook as President is May 31, so the board will have to select an interim President. It is probable that the new President will start on or around January 1, 2024.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

I believe the expectation is that SFA becomes part of the UT system at midnight on August 31, to match the fiscal year. This happens after the previously discussed, momentary, disbanding of SFA. That's necessary to qualify for PUF money.

The UT system will not start the SFA President search until the bill is signed by the governor. Because, you just never know. The last day for Dr. Westbrook as President is May 31, so the board will have to select an interim President. It is probable that the new President will start on or around January 1, 2024.

Makes sense. I was hoping that the new president would start earlier, but that might be unrealistic.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
So awesome.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

So awesome.

I listened to part(s) of the most recent Board of Regents meeting. The sense of optimism is evident

The projects that SFA is moving forward with, should bring an influx of talented faculty along with an influx of new students. I hope that the UT System follows through on the commitment to make SFA the "focal point" university, for doctoral programs in environmental science/forestry/agriculture.
wawwhite
Does anyone know when the governor will sign the legislation making it official? It may be a misunderstanding on my part, but doesn't the governor have 10 days to sign?
TallTexan
wawwhite said:

Does anyone know when the governor will sign the legislation making it official? It may be a misunderstanding on my part, but doesn't the governor have 10 days to sign?

I believe you're right. If he doesn't sign or veto within that 10 days, it still becomes law.

Maybe privately signed with a "public signing ceremony" to be held at some point in Nac?
TallTexan
Just checked and TXlege officially sent it on May 1st to the governor. So I think he'd have until May 11th.
SFAJack_76
Abbott did receive it on May 1. Dr. Westbrook is hoping for a public signing, ideally in Nacogdoches. Wherever it is, it will be soon.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Abbott did receive it on May 1. Dr. Westbrook is hoping for a public signing, ideally in Nacogdoches. Wherever it is, it will be soon.

It would be nice to see the dog and pony show come to town to boost Nac and SFA for a few hours.
TallTexan
My guess is that there's no signing photo ceremony in Nac with 2 days left.

Maybe we can get folks in town for the "opening" of the "new" university when it switches over?
SFAJack_76
Interim president to be announced today.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Interim president to be announced today.

Nice. Wonder who it'll be.
SFAJack_76
https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/university-leadership/gina-oglesbee
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/university-leadership/gina-oglesbee

Nice. First woman leader in SFA history?

Thought they might go with someone who wanted the top job, but it sounds like they very specifically didn't want to go that route, as they mentioned she won't be applying.

Joint decision between SFA/UT Boards to shepherd the transition.
NacMan
My feelings are too complex to express right now
BigJack85
NacMan said:

What's complex about this? Seems like a logical choice to shepherd the university (6 months or so) to a permanent choice is made.
NacMan
BigJack85 said:

NacMan said:

What's complex about this? Seems like a logical choice to shepherd the university (6 months or so) to a permanent choice is made.
There were some academic initiatives ripening at the university that will likely get put on hold for a year because the new interim president lacks any experience with students or the academic side of things.

My complex feelings are not about her personally, because I don't know her at all, but rather about the decision-making of the (thankfully) shortly-ending board of regents. There were people interested in the interim position that had both administrative and academic experience, but they were not chosen.
TallTexan
NacMan said:

BigJack85 said:

NacMan said:

There were some academic initiatives ripening at the university that will likely get put on hold for a year because the new interim president lacks any experience with students or the academic side of things.

My complex feelings are not about her personally, because I don't know her at all, but rather about the decision-making of the (thankfully) shortly-ending board of regents. There were people interested in the interim position that had both administrative and academic experience, but they were not chosen.

Apparently this was a joint decision between SFA and UT.

I know we have academic leaders who were more qualified for a typical interim President position, but it seems pretty clear UT didn't want anyone who might want the job permanently, which likely cut down the candidate pool.

Additionally, this job will be heavy on integrating the financial aspects of SFA into the system, so I get that.

Provost will have to manage most academic aspects for a while I'd guess.
TallTexan
BigJack85
Anyone know about the facilities part of this "final" BOR meeting? Did the new forestry building project get approved? Any details?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Anyone know about the facilities part of this "final" BOR meeting? Did the new forestry building project get approved? Any details?

They approved an architect for it.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Three Architect/Engineering firm finalists made presentations for the $80 million project that includes the ag farm as well as on campus facilities. Kirksey was approved by the Board. Not to exceed $5.6 million was approved as an initial amount for the project if a contract can be agreed on by August 31. Kirksey did both the STEM and Fine Arts projects. Perkins and Will was deemed to be the second choice if an agreement with Kirksey can't be reached by August 31. The desire for using mass timber construction is very strong. The interim President was given authority to approves contracts and purchase orders.

In their presentation, Kirksey talked about a January 2025 start for a roughly two year project. There are a lot of design details to work out between now and then.

The UT System has very clearly made their desire that ATCOFA be the pre-eminent forestry college in the country. Exciting times!
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

Three Architect/Engineering firm finalists made presentations for the $80 million project that includes the ag farm as well as on campus facilities. Kirksey was approved by the Board. Not to exceed $5.6 million was approved as an initial amount for the project if a contract can be agreed on by August 31. Kirksey did both the STEM and Fine Arts projects. Perkins and Will was deemed to be the second choice if an agreement with Kirksey can't be reached by August 31. The desire for using mass timber construction is very strong. The interim President was given authority to approves contracts and purchase orders.

In their presentation, Kirksey talked about a January 2025 start for a roughly two year project. There are a lot of design details to work out between now and then.

The UT System has very clearly made their desire that ATCOFA be the pre-eminent forestry college in the country. Exciting times!

Did you get to watch any of the presentations? I only saw the 2nd half of the meeting. How large is this building going to be?
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

Great information 76. So, there are two facilities being proposed? 1. One facility on the Todd Agricultural Center. 2. Updated Forestry Building at the current site

Am i correct?
SFAJack_76
The entire BOR meeting except executive session is available from the webcast. I watched all three presentations last night. Could not see the slides they presented.

There is a lot to decide about the project. Demo existing and build a new building? Labs! Refurbish existing and add onto it? Location? What gets done at the ag farm. Ag mechanics? Greenhouses? Native plant center off Raquet?

$80 million is a lot of money, but when you look at the breadth of the scope, it's easy to see how that budget can be tight. I understand that Dr. Williams has been heavily involved in the process.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

The entire BOR meeting except executive session is available from the webcast. I watched all three presentations last night. Could not see the slides they presented.

There is a lot to decide about the project. Demo existing and build a new building? Labs! Refurbish existing and add onto it? Location? What gets done at the ag farm. Ag mechanics? Greenhouses? Native plant center off Raquet?

$80 million is a lot of money, but when you look at the breadth of the scope, it's easy to see how that budget can be tight. I understand that Dr. Williams has been heavily involved in the process.

Awesome. Awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.