General Academic Thread

172,030 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TallTexan
What's the timeline on hiring a new president?
nacluth
last I heard Westbrook was contracted through the end of May.
NacMan
Westbrook sent out an email last week saying that there was no news of a Presidential search. I would not be surprised to see another interim appointment, this time someone from a UT system campus. Having someone hired by May is going to be a tight timeline since, as far as I know, there is no search committee formed yet.
NacMan
Update: The Board of Regents report for their January meeting was just released.

"The Board of Regents hereby names Dr. Steve Westbrook as sole finalist to serve as the tenth President of Stephen F. Austin State University."
nacluth
Just an honorary move it seems.

TallTexan
nacluth said:

I'm cool with it. He's done enough to earn the permanent title for his legacy as he shepherds SFA into the new system and helps find his replacement.
NacMan
nacluth said:

Yes, took a couple of reads to see that it wasn't a permanent posting, but rather an honor bestowed on him for his final few months.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

I'm cool with it. He's done enough to earn the permanent title for his legacy as he shepherds SFA into the new system and helps find his replacement.
Excellent move by the Board.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Excellent move by the Board.

Well deserved. He was a program advisor when I was a undergraduate. The definition of steady, consistent
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
BigJack85
Did they release the final results from the "Elevate SFA" campaign?
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

I am hearing around $120 million. Not official.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I am hearing around $120 million. Not official.

Solid. Very solid. Great for our university.
SFAJack_76
$121 million.
SFAXE93
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76 said:

This is fantastic!
SFAXE93
And so it begins.
BigJack85
Should have a positive impact on the university.
Pilotgirl
BigJack85 said:

Most importantly, a huge impact for 1000 students, their families, futures, etc!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

BigJack85 said:

Most importantly, a huge impact for 1000 students, their families, futures, etc!

Amen to that! Fantastic! Can I re-enroll? Are knitting classes still offerred?
PurpleOut
Staff
Fantastic!
SFAJack_76
NacMan

Quote:

The Purple Promise program currently offers funds to cover the remaining balance for tuition and fees not covered by other financial aid for families whose household income is less than $30,000 annually; however, the UT investment will raise that threshold to $80,000 beginning in the fall of 2023.
This is enormous for the university and our students. I'm so happy for the entire community right now.
Pilotgirl
NacMan said:

Quote:

The Purple Promise program currently offers funds to cover the remaining balance for tuition and fees not covered by other financial aid for families whose household income is less than $30,000 annually; however, the UT investment will raise that threshold to $80,000 beginning in the fall of 2023.
This is enormous for the university and our students. I'm so happy for the entire community right now.

Same!
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Any legislative updates regarding SFA lately?
TallTexan
This was filed.

Name of the "new" university will be Stephen F. Austin State University, a Member of the University of Texas system.

Don't worry, I don't think we'll have to chant "SFASUAMOTUOTS".
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

This was filed.

Name of the "new" university will be Stephen F. Austin State University, a Member of the University of Texas system.

Don't worry, I don't think we'll have to chant "SFASUAMOTUOTS".
In case anyone missed this earlier, in order to be eligible for PUF, it must be a university established within the system. So, momentarily, whenever it happens, SFA will not exist. Dr. Westbrook described it as a light switch being turned off and then on.
SFAJack_76
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/88R/billtext/pdf/SB01055I.pdf#navpanes=0
SFAJack_76
A message from president Westbrook:

As we begin Spring Break and look forward to the last half of the semester, I wanted to provide you a brief update on the work underway relative to our transition into The University of Texas System. The legislation that will enable our university's affiliation has been filed in the Texas Legislature and will be working its way through the legislative process over the coming weeks. I have been in Austin numerous times since the start of the year (with much more to come) and can report that there is very good support for our decision and the required legislation.

Even while the enabling legislation works its way through the approval process, work preparing for the transition is well underway. As I let you know a few weeks ago, an Executive Transition Steering Committee was appointed by me and UT System Chancellor J.B. Milliken. Provost and Executive VP Lorenzo Smith and VPFA Gina Oglesbee are the SFA members of that steering committee while Dr. Archie Holmes, UT System Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and Jonathan Pruitt, UT System Executive Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, are the system members. This steering committee has since appointed an SFA/UT System Core Transition Support Team that is composed of various subject matter experts from both SFA and the UT System office. This SFA/UT System Core Transition Support Team will be meeting on a regular basis to enable a transition that is as seamless as possible. To that end the Team has been establishing functional work groups to address specific topical transition items as needed.

Several of the key over-arching transition areas being addressed are listed below. I have also listed the SFA Core Transition Support Team members that are working with their counterparts at the system office to provide oversight to each.

Academic Affairs, (Marc Guidry)
Student Services, (Carrie Charley)
Legislative/Governmental Relations, (Charlotte Sullivan)
Fiscal Affairs, (Gina Oglesbee)
Information Technology, (Mike Coffee)
Personnel and Human Resources, (Judi Kruwell)
Facilities, (John Branch)
Business Operations and Administration, (Kay Johnson)
Communications, (Graham Garner)
Advancement, (Jill Still)

I want to say a big Thank You to everyone who is a member of the Core Transition Support Team and/or those folks who are already participating on a work group within one of the areas listed above. These are exciting times with a lot of positive work underway.

We have launched a website where you can stay tuned at www.sfasu.edu/ut-system. I will also continue to update you with emails over the remainder of the semester.

Have a great break!!

Axe'em!!

Steve
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

A message from president Westbrook:

As we begin Spring Break and look forward to the last half of the semester, I wanted to provide you a brief update on the work underway relative to our transition into The University of Texas System. The legislation that will enable our university's affiliation has been filed in the Texas Legislature and will be working its way through the legislative process over the coming weeks. I have been in Austin numerous times since the start of the year (with much more to come) and can report that there is very good support for our decision and the required legislation.

Even while the enabling legislation works its way through the approval process, work preparing for the transition is well underway. As I let you know a few weeks ago, an Executive Transition Steering Committee was appointed by me and UT System Chancellor J.B. Milliken. Provost and Executive VP Lorenzo Smith and VPFA Gina Oglesbee are the SFA members of that steering committee while Dr. Archie Holmes, UT System Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, and Jonathan Pruitt, UT System Executive Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs, are the system members. This steering committee has since appointed an SFA/UT System Core Transition Support Team that is composed of various subject matter experts from both SFA and the UT System office. This SFA/UT System Core Transition Support Team will be meeting on a regular basis to enable a transition that is as seamless as possible. To that end the Team has been establishing functional work groups to address specific topical transition items as needed.

Several of the key over-arching transition areas being addressed are listed below. I have also listed the SFA Core Transition Support Team members that are working with their counterparts at the system office to provide oversight to each.

Academic Affairs, (Marc Guidry)
Student Services, (Carrie Charley)
Legislative/Governmental Relations, (Charlotte Sullivan)
Fiscal Affairs, (Gina Oglesbee)
Information Technology, (Mike Coffee)
Personnel and Human Resources, (Judi Kruwell)
Facilities, (John Branch)
Business Operations and Administration, (Kay Johnson)
Communications, (Graham Garner)
Advancement, (Jill Still)

I want to say a big Thank You to everyone who is a member of the Core Transition Support Team and/or those folks who are already participating on a work group within one of the areas listed above. These are exciting times with a lot of positive work underway.

We have launched a website where you can stay tuned at www.sfasu.edu/ut-system. I will also continue to update you with emails over the remainder of the semester.

Have a great break!!

Axe'em!!

Steve

Sounds really positive as far as facilities goes…
BigJack85
Does anyone know if the "across the board faculty and staff" raise reached the athletic department? I believe the number I heard was 6.5%.
nacluth
I believe it was all staff. My brother just got an entry level job (not in athletics) and he got it on his second paycheck.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.