General Academic Thread

172,047 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
BigJack85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If I recall correctly they tried a similar tuition equalization plan in the early 90's. The program allowed 1st year students from northwestern Louisiana to pay approximately the same tuition and fees as a in state student. I did not result in an appreciable increase in enrollment.
TallTexan
Tbh, in state or atleast discounted tuition for international students might pay off better in the long run.

There's a pool of highly qualified students who'd love to go to school in the US and I'd love to have more at SFA.
nacluth
I've been told SFA is asking for faculty to participate in a voluntary separation from the university to help budgets. I don't know the exact details, but basically they will pay applicable profs half a year's pay over time to help defray costs if they leave now.

I think everyone knew times are getting tough.
Pilotgirl
So they are asking them to leave, retire ?
nacluth
I'm sure we'll hear more before long. I received my information three steps removed from a faculty member. My impression was asking for early retirement, but I have a close family member who's in a department, so I'll try to get more info soon.
BigJack85
At least they are being proactive about it. I hate that some that are not ready to retire may be forced to retire early or look for another position. Not easy in this environment. Hopefully the "flex plan" will help offset some of the short term loss in enrollment. Once this lets up SFA needs to make some strong moves to enhance investment in stem education. A BS In electrical or mechanical engineering would be a solid start.
TallTexan
nacluth
Having graduated from the university that had the #1 rated cafeteria in America, I can say that a good cafeteria redesign can go a long way toward student satisfaction.
TallTexan
Really?

I never had a problem with either of our two cafeterias in my time, but I'd have figured we'd redo East Cafe before student center.

Man I miss having a meal plan.
nacluth
Really. It was awesome. Basically imagine all you can eat stations for each food group - and really good food. Do you want three sandwiches and two dozen cookies for lunch? OK. Sushi and a selection of hot teas? OK. A pizza of whatever you want plus an ice cream shake? And everything changes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Did I gain 20 pounds in two years? I'm not saying.
BigJack85
Wow. That sounds amazing. I "dined" at East College Cafeteria from 80-82. The quality was ..... so so. But it was always available and quantity was not a problem. Frankly I did not gain weight at all. I think I weighed 185 lbs (6'1") upon arrival and graduated at about 195 lbs
PurpleOut
Staff
I thought all of the cafeterias were pretty awful from 2002-2004. Most items I considered just slightly above edible.

Pizza Hut though was the spot.
TallTexan
I came out of SFA 20 pounds lighter in 2011 but that has more to do with my mom's penchant for frying foods than SFA's cooking.

Burgers and stuff were decent. But one of the kids had from the biz school worked nights on the pizza line in the student center and that dude should have his own pizza place. They were as good or better than any restaurant pizza I've ever had.

East Cafe had a build your own pasta/sauted line that was delish and they both had excellent deserts. Some of those cakes were superb.

I can say that for SFA, I never had anything that was downright terrible.
Jacks4460
Has anyone heard of any type of Engineering-Chemical or Petroleum coming to SFASU?? My son is a HS senior and wants to go to TT or ATM.. He said "Dad if SFA had an engineering degree that would be a no brainer I Would go there"...I sure wish he would go to SFA but I understand about the Petroleum or Chemical Engineering degree..
BigJack85
I have not heard of chemical engineering. My understanding is that the existing Engineering/Physics degree has two emphasis routes. Mechanical and Electrical. The college of math and science website has a pretty good page on the programs.
TallTexan
Jacks4460 said:

Has anyone heard of any type of Engineering-Chemical or Petroleum coming to SFASU?? My son is a HS senior and wants to go to TT or ATM.. He said "Dad if SFA had an engineering degree that would be a no brainer I Would go there"...I sure wish he would go to SFA but I understand about the Petroleum or Chemical Engineering degree..

I'd check directly with the Engineering/Physics program. Does Chemical/Petroleum require a masters degree nowadays?

If so it might be possible to do his undergrad at SFA & then a masters elsewhere.

A few benefits, SFA had more scholarships for me than my other BBA options. Two, I now have a degree from two schools, two alumni bases to pull from, etc.
TallTexan
Partially an academic question on the SFA charter school.

How do they choose who can attend?

And do families pay tuition, is it state funded, how does that work?
nacluth
Anyone in the community can enter the lottery to get into the charter school. It's free, but they do have a decent amount of fees including lunch and late fees. They do not provide transportation either, so it is more difficult for certain families (could read poorer) to drop off and pick up children.

Edit: I know many families with children in charter and the typical response is positive. Children who are discipline problems have the hardest time (but they do at every school). They do not take grades, so the transition to public school can be jarring for some, but overall I think satisfaction is high.
TallTexan
Thanks! Didn't know about the lottery.

The demographics there are what got me looking at it.

Nac ISD elementary schools are, approximately speaking, 20% white and 65% economically disadvantaged.

The charter school is 70% white and 6% economically disadvantaged.

It looks like we're excluding wide swathes of the population to the detriment of all of Nacogdoches.
TallTexan
I have heard it's a pretty great school. Which makes it all the more concerning about barriers to entry.
nacluth
Honestly I didn't know the breakdown, so those stats seem about what I would have guessed. I wouldn't say that the charter school drives inequity in our local education system. In fact, I think they are a decent first step in providing a broader upper end education to a wider section of our community.

White flight from our public schools is a big problem locally at the elementary level. Two of my daughters are in public schools here in town. The younger going into third has never had a white classmate. The older going into fifth had two white classmates. The community at the school is great, but it is in no way reflective of local demographics.
TallTexan
I'm all for providing upper tier option in Nac, but that's what makes the diversion from the city's kids demographics all that more jarring. Approximately 35% of Nac as a whole is minority, with a decent portion of that skewing towards school age kids if I had to guess based on school demo information. I'd guess 75% of current school age students are minorities.

So when I see that they're largely shut out of what appears to be a higher tier option, I think of what that means for the future. That's more than 50% of the developing population with less of a chance college. Less chances of professional jobs. 50% fewer highly educated adults to run for school board or city council. 50% less entrepreneurs.

That's why I get so concerned. And I'm not just looking at Nac. We've got the exact same thing here in Palestine, including a charter HS. No lie, I watched their engineering team present a "tech commercialization" project, which is what my masters degree from UT is in and those kids could have held their own in my grad school class. It's an upper tier education.

But I worry about the future of our cities if we let that type of education be off limits to huge swaths of the population. It means opportunity will pass our black & Latino communities by just like they did in the 50s & 60s. That's a big repercussions for us all, and a missed opportunity as a rising tide lifts all boats.

Where do people participating in white flight go in Nac if not the charter? I know in Palestine, I see a few of my neighbors whose kids go to Neches/Slocum/Elkhart or nowadays the charter.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
nacluth
I went running through campus last night with my brother like we do several times a week. Last night was completely different. SFA went from a ghost town to packed to the gills. So many kids on campus. I don't know what enrollment is, but it doesn't seem like they took a huge hit this semester. Almost everyone was masked up. Place was hopping.
TallTexan
Dang. Would not have guessed. I wonder what the enrollment numbers will be.

Glad to hear they were wearing masks & taking precautions.
BigJack85
The article in The Daily Sentinel said that we were flat. This is probably a HUGE achievement, if that is the case.
TallTexan
Excellent achievement tbh. Given that we were sailing into a headwind of epic proportion.
BigJack85
If... if through some miracle we get to 13,100 that would an epic accomplishment
SFAJack_76
I had heard a couple of weeks ago that enrollment was with a hundred or so of last year. Total hours were down though. Great news indeed.
TallTexan
I'm stoked about this.

Quote:

Stephen F. Austin State University will launch a series of "innovative goals, initiatives strategies and partnerships" next fall that university president Dr. Scott Gordon says could bring the school to the national forefront of higher education.

Gordon teased the changes but offered few details during Tuesday's weekly conference call with the Nacogdoches County Chamber of Commerce.

https://www.dailysentinel.com/coronavirus/article_daf020bb-e6e3-54a4-bb93-983f614684bd.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

I'm stoked about this.

Quote:

Stephen F. Austin State University will launch a series of "innovative goals, initiatives strategies and partnerships" next fall that university president Dr. Scott Gordon says could bring the school to the national forefront of higher education.

Gordon teased the changes but offered few details during Tuesday's weekly conference call with the Nacogdoches County Chamber of Commerce.

https://www.dailysentinel.com/coronavirus/article_daf020bb-e6e3-54a4-bb93-983f614684bd.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Absolute home run hire. Between Dr. Gordon and Ivey ... anybody that isn't stoked about the future of SFA, best get out of the way.
TallTexan
Found myself wondering this morning what these new announcements might reveal.

I hope we go back to the well on getting more online programs. Those can be a cash cow for the main university. And it doesn't have to be degree only options. We could offer oil training certificates, solar/wind certificates, small business management certificates to help local East Texas employees. Atleast to start off with.

Think we will see some things like this, but tailored to Texas industries.

https://www.helixeducation.com/resources/enrollment-growth-university/microsoft-new-program-eastern-washington-university-dr-scott-gordon/
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.