General Academic Thread

172,039 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Seems like a huge indicator of a STEM future for SFA.

Impressive get.
BigJack85
Impressive grab. I agree with Texan that STEM is our calling!!!
TallTexan

This is cool.

I wonder if there's any rhyme or reason to how the schools were chosen(outside of Nac HS of course).
SFA Jack Fanatic
You ask a great question. I'm wondering the same thing.
TallTexan
I'd love to know if we could expand it to our local schools and what rules it has/where the funding is from.
TallTexan
I'd love to know if we could expand it to our local schools and what rules it has/where the funding is from.
SFAJack_76
There are ten student chapters in Texas, including A&M and Tech.
TallTexan
This is an interesting hire.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Certainly seems like a good idea to bring that job in-house.

Just don't let him start tinkering with our logo again.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Certainly seems like a good idea to bring that job in-house.

Just don't let him start tinkering with our logo again.

Lol we should warn him.

I'm actually not opposed to logo tweaks but they should be done at a lower level and bubble up, ie, how we got the current SFA logo in the first place.

And if they do decide to go with a new logo, let it please not be the hatchet job the last one was. That thing was hideous.
SFAJack_76
This is good.
SFAXE93
BigJack85
SFAXE93 said:

We are "CLEARLY" Top 5 CLEARLY
BigJack85
Looked at the minutes from the June board of regents meetings. Big concerns about enrollment this fall. My read of it is that applications are lagging. Transfers in are flat. We continue to do well in retaining students. Having trouble attracting first time college students.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Looked at the minutes from the June board of regents meetings. Big concerns about enrollment this fall. My read of it is that applications are lagging. Transfers in are flat. We continue to do well in retaining students. Having trouble attracting first time college students.

Ouch.

Would love to see admin offer some solutions for that. Personally, I might start hitting the international student recruiting harder and see what it'd take for us to offer in state tuition to Louisiana/Ark as well.
TallTexan
I guess this explains the push for the distinguished High School programs.
TallTexan
SFA has hired a new Assistant Vice President, Dean of Students.Andrew J Dies, who was Dean of Students at NAU and previously Dean of Students at Georgia Southern's Armstrong & Liberty campus.

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/newsroom/2021/sfa-names-new-assistant-vice-president-dean-students?fbclid=IwAR2hfWUY0ZUtNS0z1aHaNnjEVwDyp-nQ5FiPDNP-WwzTYQYDJ2VDeLecq-k
TallTexan
This is what has me most excited about Dies. Georgia Southern did great work to close the student achievement gap.

That's a huge challenge for SFA, but also a huge opportunity for us. I hope he can help.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Education/Georgia-State-University?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=gsu_gates&utm_content=
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

This is what has me most excited about Dies. Georgia Southern did great work to close the student achievement gap.

That's a huge challenge for SFA, but also a huge opportunity for us. I hope he can help.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Education/Georgia-State-University?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=gsu_gates&utm_content=
The link is to a story about Georgia State. I'm missing the connection to Georgia Southern.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

The link is to a story about Georgia State. I'm missing the connection to Georgia Southern.

Well crap. I mixed the universities up. Even thought I double checked that to make sure I had the right GSU.
No-look
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

TallTexan said:

Well crap. I mixed the universities up. Even thought I double checked that to make sure I had the right GSU.
Texan, I hate to tell you but this stuff gets worse the older you get. Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Before long, The Texan will be excitedly feeding us articles about SFA - the Amtrak Station in Sanford, Florida. (Poor guy has just about lost it...)
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Before long, The Texan will be excitedly feeding us articles about SFA - the Amtrak Station in Sanford, Florida. (Poor guy has just about lost it...)

Best Amtrak station around IMO.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Good news.
TallTexan
Any word yet on enrollment numbers?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Down
TallTexan
Baylor just hit 20k.

We might need new enrollment folks. This state is growing like a weed and every else is growing too.
cboothe09
Hasn't gotten out yet but Sam is down. Might have dropped under 20k
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Baylor just hit 20k.

We might need new enrollment folks. This state is growing like a weed and every else is growing too.

I was reading a pretty lengthy article about the problems "Regional" universities are facing This is endemic across the country. Large public "flagship" universities are prospering. Most regionals (not all) are struggling. They specifically talked about University of South Dakota and South Dakota State. Two flagships in a small state. Large public's like University of Iowa and Nebraska are offering generous scholarships to lure students from smaller state. SFA is facing the same problem, although the issue is students that would have picked SFA as second choice now go to LSU, Arkansas or OU.
TallTexan
What's this?

sfajack05
TallTexan said:

Here you go:

Fall enrollment totaled 11,946, a decrease of 674 students, or 5%. While total undergraduate enrollment decreased 6%, or 688 students, enrollment of new first-year undergraduate students increased 4%, and transfer-student enrollment increased 2%.

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/newsroom/2021/sfa-reports-fall-enrollment-numbers
TallTexan
sfajack05 said:

TallTexan said:

Here you go:

Fall enrollment totaled 11,946, a decrease of 674 students, or 5%. While total undergraduate enrollment decreased 6%, or 688 students, enrollment of new first-year undergraduate students increased 4%, and transfer-student enrollment increased 2%.

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/newsroom/2021/sfa-reports-fall-enrollment-numbers

Ouch.
sfajack05
I was also told SFA was the only Texas public university not to see an increase in enrollment but I haven't verified that yet.

BigJack85
sfajack05 said:

I was also told SFA was the only Texas public university not to see an increase in enrollment but I haven't verified that yet.

That is bad news. We need some aggressive, sales like recruiting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.