General Academic Thread

172,143 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Moody getting busy on handing out money.

100 million to name a school when 100 million is our entire campaign. Just Wow.

Ya. F'ing crazy. Wish we had some "pockets". I did read in the BOR meeting report that the 100 year anniversary campaign had raised $33 million (approximately) and received commitments for another $20 ish million. So.... roughly 1/2 way to $100 million , if The committed moneys come through. The endowments combined total about $78 million. There are additional endowment funds that are categorized as "Quasi" endowments. Those total another $9 million or so.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
TallTexan
I wonder how much of that 53 million+ is usual giving vs specifically for the 100 year campaign. I think they're counting both in the same bucket, which is fine. Having 53 million or so already lined up is great considering we are only 30-40% of the way through the campaign. I hope we'll see some donations from the big national foundations like the Waltons, Gates, Moody, etc.

I know we do have some pockets, but I don't know that even the ones worth nearly a billion are going to drop 100 million. A lumberjack used to own the celtics, we should definitely be hitting up that family. I do wish it was easier for us to raise money from people around Texas, but seems like a lot of foundations & families would rather continue to donate large sums to the biggest schools.
BigJack85
Regarding the $53 million. Much of that (60%) my guess, would have been raised in the regular course of business. The presentation breaks it down. Worth looking at.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Regarding the $53 million. Much of that (60%) my guess, would have been raised in the regular course of business. The presentation breaks it down. Worth looking at.

I'll give it a read tomorrow. It's on the regents minutes?
TallTexan
Here's the report BigJack85 mentioned on fundraising.

http://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/university-advancement-report-still-10.27-28.19.pdf

Shows that they've raised 58 million of the 100 million campaign thus far. I've got to say, that looks like some creative accounting, given that they're including donations as far back as fiscal year 16 in the total. Which is interesting, since we launched the campaign last fall I believe.

On average, SFA raises around 10 million per year in a regular year, so the new campaign would be expected to bring in an additional 50 million over the 5 year period. By moving the campaign to last from 2016 to 2023, you'd expect only an additional 30 million over what would be regularly committed.

However, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt & won't be mad if they hit 125 or 150 million & properly market that to the major news networks around Texas.

That said, I still hope our development team is hitting up major foundations. Gates donated 30 million to UT for a computer lab program. Moody donated 130 million to UT for athletics. A&M raised 80 million in two weeks to pay for a football coach. We ought to be able to go out & get multi-million dollar commitments from our alumni & from major foundations, year in & year out.

I think Korbin will do a great job on the fundraising team. That said there's a reason that schools like UT, A&M, UT Dallas, & A&M hire people with fundraising experience at major foundations.

But if we hit our 100 million goal, it will fundamentally change our university. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
BigJack85
Texan. I talked to Jill Still about this 5-6 years ago and it is 100% standard. This would be the "quiet" period. Part of the reason for the quiet period is to show progress. Especially when approaching big donors. 100%. The fundraising world has all kinds of quirks.

The facts are that like Sam , Texas St , West Texas etc we have trouble finding big donors.
TallTexan
Yep definitely a challenge being a school our size. March Madness is probably our best path to additional donors from around the state.
TallTexan
UT Tyler getting a big commitment from the PUF.

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/ut-system-to-invest-million-in-ut-tyler-ut-health/article_3a2e5638-06f8-11ea-b1d3-17b8dcdb7f04.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
Need to get by and see this.
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
This is outstanding.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

This is outstanding.

I would like to see something like this in front of WRJ.
TallTexan
Yes! We need something like that at WRJ.
SFAJack_76

BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Need to get by and see this.

Need something like this in front of WRJ.
TallTexan
Wow.

Good for East Texas, potentially bad for SFA.
Pilotgirl
UTHS tyler is all about $$$ Patient care is minimal, at best. When they bought out ERMC, they laid off 400 employees...so they don't care about employees either.

Ive known several nurses who have left ...or anticipated negative issues and left before that happened.

SFA needs to continue to market how student focused it is bc UT Tyler is not & now with this, it will be even worse.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

UTHS tyler is all about $$$ Patient care is minimal, at best. When they bought out ERMC, they laid off 400 employees...so they don't care about employees either.

Ive known several nurses who have left ...or anticipated negative issues and left before that happened.

SFA needs to continue to market how student focused it is bc UT Tyler is not & now with this, it will be even worse.
Agreed. SFA needs to continue to be student focused.

My biggest concern isn't that they'd pass us on that, but this definitely helps their prestige on the statewide level.
TallTexan
BigJack85
Wow. Just wow. I wonder how it will impact the budget?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Wow. Just wow. I wonder how it will impact the budget?
Good question. Either the first 12 hours are gonna cost as much as 15 hours or we're going to lose some money.

However, it'll be a tradeoff worth making IMO. Should boost graduation rates a decent bit.
TallTexan
Don't really have a thread for this for this, so thought I'd share here.

Braden & Jordan McInnis won the National Young Farmers Achievement Award. They previously won the Texas award I believe.

Jordan is a graduate of our SFA's Ag Development program & is an ag teacher in Elkhart.
BigJack85
Ya. That was really cool.
TallTexan
Sam Houston's president is retiring in August.
TallTexan
This is big East Texas news if it gets approved.

https://www.utsystem.edu/news/2020/02/06/university-of-texas-system-announces-intention-launch-medical-school-tyler?fbclid=IwAR2Wbcqw-icx-6bEKMbIX3Jrqxo8weO-5tY1ruosH-Ux_QLIzOGma5KcT2c
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
This is great! It should really help lots of students, including athletes.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
A few cool films coming up at the Nac film festival.

http://www.thepinelog.com/news/article_8d3f1814-4850-11ea-af66-2712076c3bbc.html?fbclid=IwAR0L8LcudXjAfBirok_stK05LUyAFjYn0Dk3VZ-EyTUO_-csrRCtSi_wlRA
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

This is big East Texas news if it gets approved.

https://www.utsystem.edu/news/2020/02/06/university-of-texas-system-announces-intention-launch-medical-school-tyler?fbclid=IwAR2Wbcqw-icx-6bEKMbIX3Jrqxo8weO-5tY1ruosH-Ux_QLIzOGma5KcT2c
Decent seed money.
nacluth
I bet. It used to be 20 years ago that when the government wanted to do an environmental reclamation project, they would put $60 million in a certain project. The $60M would bring $1M in interest, so the project could run for a year on $1M with never touching the principal. I bet that has now gotten close to $80M. This is probably the seed money to draw in other investment and act as the endowment for the school.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.