General Academic Thread

184,552 Views | 952 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by SFAXE93
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cool opportunity for SFA students from us being part of the UT system.

https://www.facebook.com/100064820882874/posts/889228036581218/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v
Ljacks&Longnecks
I see on my FB feed that SFA is reopening Hall 10 and another dorm. A feed today from SFA says that is due to increased enrollments and applications. Sadly I fail in trying to share these posts on this forum.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me on what is causing this increase in interest.
And NO it's not the new athletic director or the SLC.

Encouraging news!
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I see on my FB feed that SFA is reopening Hall 10 and another dorm. A feed today from SFA says that is due to increased enrollments and applications. Sadly I fail in trying to share these posts on this forum.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me on what is causing this increase in interest.
And NO it's not the new athletic director or the SLC.

Encouraging news!

Very encouraging. Another year of freshman enrollment growth would be very good news.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85
Really good information about increases in incoming freshmen class etc. Two years running. Hoping we can get enrollment up over 11,000 this fall. Next fall (2025) over 12,000.

New SFA president reports increased enrollment during first month in office (ktre.com)
NacMan
The increased freshman class is a very positive trend, indeed. Just to put it into numbers, though, that 10% increase would mean about 200 additional students (which tracks with the 230 additional beds in the re-opened dorms). To get back to 12,000 students would require at least another 3-4 years of 10% freshman growth per year. Where SFA could greatly increase the curve up in enrollment is via transfer students. I'm hoping that being in the UT system will get us more transfers from 2 year colleges.

What's doubly heartening is that this crop of freshmen are mostly real students who intend to stay at SFA for a full 4 years.

Back in the 2010s, SFA was playing games with the topline enrollment number by greatly expanding dual credit offerings to students across Texas who would take 1 or 2 total classes from SFA while enrolled in high school, but who had no intention of ever enrolling or getting a degree here. However, they could still be counted towards the 13,000 enrollment number. Some of our decline from 13,000 to 11,000 was actually a strategic reduction in dual credit agreements to ones that make more geographic sense.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

The increased freshman class is a very positive trend, indeed. Just to put it into numbers, though, that 10% increase would mean about 200 additional students (which tracks with the 230 additional beds in the re-opened dorms). To get back to 12,000 students would require at least another 3-4 years of 10% freshman growth per year. Where SFA could greatly increase the curve up in enrollment is via transfer students. I'm hoping that being in the UT system will get us more transfers from 2 year colleges.

What's doubly heartening is that this crop of freshmen are mostly real students who intend to stay at SFA for a full 4 years.

Back in the 2010s, SFA was playing games with the topline enrollment number by greatly expanding dual credit offerings to students across Texas who would take 1 or 2 total classes from SFA while enrolled in high school, but who had no intention of ever enrolling or getting a degree here. However, they could still be counted towards the 13,000 enrollment number. Some of our decline from 13,000 to 11,000 was actually a strategic reduction in dual credit agreements to ones that make more geographic sense.

The increase in freshman will also help the sophomore numbers, which had dipped to 1600. In the 2016 - 2018 timeframe our sophomore classification had closer to 1900 - 2400 (SFA Institutional Research)

If our retention stays around 71% , we should start to see our sophomore class start to increase, and return to that 2200 - 2400 level. That will accelerate our return to the 13,000 level. That being said, we need 3 or more first time freshmen classes, to be over 2100. We can get there.
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.