THIS IS THE WAC

129,076 Views | 1028 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by SFAXE93
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
New thread as the official announcement gets underway.

Let's party!
PurpleOut
Staff
The audio tho
PurpleOut
Staff
Interesting that they're starting out with BOTPW.
Pilotgirl
PurpleOut said:

Which isn't going any where, per Jamie's remarks
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

PurpleOut said:

Hate it.
PurpleOut
Staff
Pilotgirl said:

PurpleOut said:

Yeah, that's...not an exciting way to kick this off.
nacluth
Southland's statement sounds like "Oh we're screwed now. Maybe we should think about what to do next...when we get around to it.

https://southland.org//news/2021/1/13/general-statement-from-southland-commissioner-tom-burnett.aspx
Pilotgirl
This GCU guy is on point!
TallTexan
Pilotgirl said:

Ya that dude knows what's up. Basketball pays the way.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA to the WAC in 2021-2022 rather than in 2022-2023 as originally announced!

Apparently the great SLC has already kicked us to the curb.
sfa17
The SLC seems a bit butt-hurt. They fired us before we could quit. I guess they win SMH
TallTexan
Could you imagine the SLC talking about plans for a multi-bid basketball league as part of their expansion plans like the GCU president did?

We can't even get them to pay attention to basketball scheduling.
TallTexan
I'm real interested to see who that 14th team is gonna be.
sfa17
Yeah he said wac could be potentially a at top 12 basketball conference. That would be sweet
SFA Jack Fanatic
We should be getting some interesting (aka different) teams showing up in Nac, which should greatly boost attendance. No more blaaa HBU's and UIW's. Hopefully, we'll get a few from the West Division to come here occasionally (i.e., NMSU and GCU in basketball).
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I must have missed that part. Didn't catch that.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I must have missed that part. Didn't catch that.

It was in Ivey's email this morning. Texas football team or Texas area.
SFAXE93
Going to have to get that WAC logo on the floor in the Sawmill soon.
CertifiedAxeman98
SFAXE93 said:

Yeah if the SLC wants us gone in a hurry. I suggest we make this a priority in our transition planning.
CertifiedAxeman98
just read the FAQ'

my question is answered at lest in part. SFA needs to work out Bowling and beach volleyball still but the rest move to the WAC

Are all of SFA's 18 varsity sports included in the move to the WAC?

16 of SFA's 18 varsity teams will compete as part of the Western Athletic Conference. We are working on various solutions for women's bowling and beach volleyball, respectively.

https://sfa-jacks.v5.platform.sportsdigita.com/wac-microsite?v=1609800285748#/FAQS/full-content
TallTexan
SFAXE93 said:

Let's do it this weekend.
TallTexan
https://twitter.com/SFA_MBB/status/1349785886406410247?s=19.
Coach nails it with that quote
CertifiedAxeman98
New Mexico State currently slotted in the West but that is not set in stone.

New Mexico State AD Mario Moccia:
PurpleOut
Staff
If Chicago State is planning on dropping out, I'm assuming that would mean we would need to find 2 more schools...not just one.

I had heard that Seattle was struggling financially, so I'm not sure this is an overall deal that helps them. As much as I would like to plan a basketball trip to Seattle, I'd be fine with them dropping out too.
PurpleOut
Staff
Amazing production.

CertifiedAxeman98
PurpleOut said:

If Chicago State is planning on dropping out, I'm assuming that would mean we would need to find 2 more schools...not just one.

I had heard that Seattle was struggling financially, so I'm not sure this is an overall deal that helps them. As much as I would like to plan a basketball trip to Seattle, I'd be fine with them dropping out too.
Everything posted by the WAC shows a map without Chicago State, so they are gone.

That leaves 13 schools (8 old and 5 new). The WAC appears to be looking to place a 14th school in the Southwest (i.e. Texas) division which only has 6 schools currently in that division. They currently have New Mexico State in the west division (which is not set in stone according to their AD).

Lots of speculation on who that 14th school will be. I hope it is a current D1 school but I suspect it will be a DII moving up.

It is possible that another school leaves if so then they will be looking for another school.
Ljacks&Longnecks
So what does that mean for football in 2021. Out of the SLC and the WAC doesn't do football yet. Carthel has this team about ready to dominate so what is the 2021 plan?
SFASawmillGuy
Potential NCAA waiver to allow Tarleton to be eligible for the postseason, and the addition of one more football school would make the WAC eligible for an autobid to the playoffs.
If not I believe any of the already postseason eligible schools would still be able to make the playoffs, but it could only be an at large bid and not an autobid.

Meaning SFA could still make the playoffs, we would just need to finish somewhere in the top 25. Likely in the top 15.
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

I was VERY impressed with the GCU dude.
BigJack85
If a 14th school is added I am strongly in favor of U of Northern Colorado or Central Oklahoma. UNC has some baseball history, while UCO could be a real up and comer with growing enrollment (over 17k) and reasonably solid facilities. Frankly UCO's football stadium is one of the coolest 10,000 seat stadiums I've ever seen.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

If a 14th school is added I am strongly in favor of U of Northern Colorado or Central Oklahoma. UNC has some baseball history, while UCO could be a real up and comer with growing enrollment (over 17k) and reasonably solid facilities. Frankly UCO's football stadium is one of the coolest 10,000 seat stadiums I've ever seen.
Looking into it, UCO has a pretty stadium, beautiful campus, & some good facilities. But as far as I can tell, they're spending around 6 million a year on athletics.

I like UNC. They spend 17 million a year which is in the SFA/SAM/LAMAR ballpark. They could definitely use better football attendance though. Colorado Pueblo is about 2k higher than they were last year.
TallTexan
CertifiedAxeman98
I watched the SUU conference. The Texas 4 recruited them to the WAC.

CertifiedAxeman98
I really like Brian Mueller, President of GCU. Here is the GCU press conference today.

SFAJack_76

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.