General Academic Thread

169,093 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On a side note, the was the most attended Showcase Saturday yet! Over 800 students and 2300 total. V said it ran really smoothly and several headed over ro the FB game & VB game....some positive news! I know the recruiters are working their bums off to recruit prospective students to SFA! V works all hours of the day, weekends, responds to student contact at all hours/modalities/etc.
At recruitment fairs,students often ask her about sports & she's able to give them great info! The other SFA recruiters will refer them to V when they have sports related questions LOL
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl said:

On a side note, the was the most attended Showcase Saturday yet! Over 800 students and 2300 total. V said it ran really smoothly and several headed over ro the FB game & VB game....some positive news! I know the recruiters are working their bums off to recruit prospective students to SFA! V works all hours of the day, weekends, responds to student contact at all hours/modalities/etc.
At recruitment fairs,students often ask her about sports & she's able to give them great info! The other SFA recruiters will refer them to V when they have sports related questions LOL
Appreciate what V, and others, are doing. The campus was quite busy. No doubt that local establishments had a big day. Other than being a little cool, the weather was great.

Disappointing that our Alumni Association had no engagement beyond the usual game day Alumni Corner.
Jacks4460
Thank you V!! This is what we need.. It will spark student interest..
NacMan
The Board of Regents just updated their page. They had formed a subcommittee to study system affiliation and that subcommittee has apparently now made its recommendation to the full board. Copy/pasted from the BOR report:

Quote:

The Board of Regents Subcommittee recommends that the university affiliate with ___________________. The president is authorized to take any action necessary in collaboration with ___________________ to effectuate this affiliation.
So no name given yet, but apparently this full report and recommendation will be given in open session at the BOR on November 29 before they go into executive session and turn the cameras off. So we should know very early in the meeting which system was selected as the first choice.
SFAJack_76
Link:
https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/meeting-information
TallTexan
Wow. Gonna be a big day for SFA.
TallTexan
Big week for the future of SFA. Blocking off some time on my calendar tomorrow to tune in.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Big week for the future of SFA. Blocking off some time on my calendar tomorrow to tune in.

Huge. Hope they make a solid decision.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
NacMan
The Board just put out a summary of financial benefit over the next 4 years from each system affiliation option. Gotta scroll all the way down the page.

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/university-system

Summary:
University of Texas, $124.3 million
Texas A&M, $33.7 million
Texas State, $7.4 million
Texas Tech, $357,000

Once again, UT wins in a landslide. With actual numbers attached, A&M's offer looks better than it initially did, but still a distant second place. After this batch of information, I am struggling to see what we gain from going with Tech. I keep hearing rumors that a deal with Tech was struck before the process even began, but with these numbers I hope that is not true.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

The Board just put out a summary of financial benefit over the next 4 years from each system affiliation option. Gotta scroll all the way down the page.

Summary:
Texas A&M, $33.7 million
Texas Tech, $357,000

Once again, UT wins in a landslide. With actual numbers attached, A&M's offer looks better than it initially did, but still a distant second place. After this batch of information, I am struggling to see what we gain from going with Tech. I keep hearing rumors that a deal with Tech was struck before the process even began, but with these numbers I hope that is not true.

No brainer
TallTexan
NacMan said:

Summary:
Texas A&M, $33.7 million
Texas Tech, $357,000

How is Tech so low and Texas State at 7.4?

I assume the 33.7 is mostly the forestry building for the A&M one?
TallTexan
124 million is more than the 100 year celebration fundraiser we're doing. We'd be idiots not to take it.
nacluth
https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/financial-proposal-values-summary.pdf
wahlwesle
It is interesting that there aren't any assessments paid to UT by SFA like with the other systems.
TallTexan
Wonder what a forestry lab & Ag Tech shop for $15 mil would look like.
nacluth
I like how they made the Tech contribution look like a rounding error to the UT contribution.
wawwhite
Conspiracy theory time because my mind is racing from the lack of sleep. I'd like to know why UT has put so much effort into bringing SFA into the system. I know SFA has a lot to offer and has a beautiful campus but I feel there is something they don't want A&M to know about right now. I can't pinpoint it. Maybe UT's plans for SFA are bigger than what is publicly being divulged at the moment.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Wonder what a forestry lab & Ag Tech shop for $15 mil would look like.

They posted drawings a couple of years ago. If I understand correctly , some of this (forestry lab?) would located on the east side of the current forestry building. Where the greenhouse is. I believe.
SFAXE93
UT looking to get into the Forestry and AG business with the joining of SFA.
BigJack85
wawwhite said:

Conspiracy theory time because my mind is racing from the lack of sleep. I'd like to know why UT has put so much effort into bringing SFA into the system. I know SFA has a lot to offer and has a beautiful campus but I feel there is something they don't want A&M to know about right now. I can't pinpoint it. Maybe UT's plans for SFA are bigger than what is publicly being divulged at the moment.

A: I believe UT wants us BECAUSE we are precisely what they are NOT. Rural, residential, old fashioned and conservative.
Maybe they just want something different.
SFAXE93
They are diversifying!
nacluth
Intro to board meeting basically saying that all systems are the same except by finances.
nacluth
Of course the subcommittee says UT. Now everyone has to vote.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Intro to board meeting basically saying that all systems are the same except by finances.

Keep us updated, Ryan.
nacluth
They're laying out the strong case to the general board that University of Texas is far and away the best.
nacluth
"The PUF is the second largest endowment fund in the country…reported to shortly overtake Harvard as the largest."
SFAXE93
TallTexan
I know we've got to wait on the official vote, but man, I'm so glad that was the recommendation.
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

I know we've got to wait on the official vote, but man, I'm so glad that was the recommendation.

Same here. And the trolls out there with the UTN stuff need to go find a Icehouse.
nacluth
Regent Flores is bringing up last minute concerns pushing back a little but about how accessible the PUF will actually be for SFA.
SFAXE93
nacluth said:

Regent Flores is bringing up last minute concerns pushing back a little but about how accessible the PUF will actually be for SFA.
That's a good question.
SFA88
nacluth said:

That's appropriate. I've sat on a non-profit board for over a decade. Their job is one of financial oversight and due diligence.
TheRevSFA
You'd think Flores would have brought these questions up previously?
TallTexan
UT has promised us that SFA isn't changing.

Why are we litigating something they promised us wouldn't happen?
nacluth
Flores says he won't vote for UT because he believes UT will change our name.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.