General Academic Thread

173,228 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
It seems we just took questions from different people, groups, administrations, and just copied and pasted them into a doc to send to the four systems.

Doesn't seem like we proofread or put much thought or effort into it. Maybe it gets the same result and answers we need to make a decision, just seems rushed.
NacMan
PurpleOut said:

It seems we just took questions from different people, groups, administrations, and just copied and pasted them into a doc to send to the four systems.

Doesn't seem like we proofread or put much thought or effort into it. Maybe it gets the same result and answers we need to make a decision, just seems rushed.
I can tell you from someone who saw the inside of the process that this is exactly what was done overall. There was no effort made after the different groups submitted questions to pare them down, merge them, or eliminate the embarrassing ones.

And it seems like the larger the constituency, the longer the list of questions.
Deans, 8 questions
Chairs, 9 questions
Faculty Senate, 64 questions
Staff Council, 21 questions (with some of them multiple part questions)
Student Govt, 19 questions
Alumni Association, 56 questions

The Chairs and Deans worked on their questions for a very long time, and it shows in the brevity. I think the Faculty Senate submitted a list of questions thinking that they were just suggestions, and they expected the administration to edit/combine questions for the final version (hence the repeated use of "possible category" in the Faculty Senate questions). It looks like the Alumni Association just submitted verbatim every question that got submitted by alumni, even when the questions were embarrassing or made no sense. I forget which system now, but one just put "Intentionally left blank" under some alumni association questions.

I chalk it all up to the compressed timeline.
"I have already made this paper too long, for which I must crave pardon, not having now time to make it shorter." -Benjamin Franklin, 1750
BigJack85
NacMan said:

PurpleOut said:

I can tell you from someone who saw the inside of the process that this is exactly what was done overall. There was no effort made after the different groups submitted questions to pare them down, merge them, or eliminate the embarrassing ones.

And it seems like the larger the constituency, the longer the list of questions.
Deans, 8 questions
Chairs, 9 questions
Faculty Senate, 64 questions
Staff Council, 21 questions (with some of them multiple part questions)
Student Govt, 19 questions
Alumni Association, 56 questions

The Chairs and Deans worked on their questions for a very long time, and it shows in the brevity. I think the Faculty Senate submitted a list of questions thinking that they were just suggestions, and they expected the administration to edit/combine questions for the final version (hence the repeated use of "possible category" in the Faculty Senate questions). It looks like the Alumni Association just submitted verbatim every question that got submitted by alumni, even when the questions were embarrassing or made no sense. I forget which system now, but one just put "Intentionally left blank" under some alumni association questions.

I chalk it all up to the compressed timeline.
"I have already made this paper too long, for which I must crave pardon, not having now time to make it shorter." -Benjamin Franklin, 1750

Ya. It could have been pared down to 25-30 questions. Covered 99% of the important stuff.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
65tosspowertrap
I know this has been covered before, but just logging on and wanting to know if anyone knows: irrespective of what system the university joins, will the university get to keep its name?
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
TallTexan
65tosspowertrap said:

I know this has been covered before, but just logging on and wanting to know if anyone knows: irrespective of what system the university joins, will the university get to keep its name?
Yep. Name & colors should be safe under any of the 4 proposals.
SFA88
It is embarrassing that the questions were not edited. I suppose the administration may have been concerned that someone would whine that their idiotic question had not been submitted.

I had something like this happen at work. The different department heads were asked to submit questions to a potential business partner. Believing the questions would be selected, edited and compiled, I submitted questions much like the faculty senate. I was irritated to learn they had been submitted verbatim. If I had know that, I would have been more professional and I would have had others proofread them.

I love the Ben Franklin quote. I believe the earliest version is from Blaise Pascal. It is possible that the version from John Locke is more accurate; "I will not deny, but possibly it might be reduced to a narrower Compass than it is...But to confess the Truth, I am now too lazy, or too busy to make it shorter."
65tosspowertrap
that's good to know...as far as colors go, can we start a petition to do away with the black uniforms? I'm old school, I know, but I think we shouldn't be wearing anything but the purple and white...I hate alternate uniforms.
"Just keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!" — Hank Stram

https://youtu.be/MnPr1R_QlTM
djsfw57
65tosspowertrap said:

that's good to know...as far as colors go, can we start a petition to do away with the black uniforms? I'm old school, I know, but I think we shouldn't be wearing anything but the purple and white...I hate alternate uniforms.
I'll drink to that!
TallTexan
System or no system, I wish that some folks on the "stay independent" side weren't taking the misinformation approach to try to shoot this down.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan said:

System or no system, I wish that some folks on the "stay independent" side weren't taking the misinformation approach to try to shoot this down.
It's ridiculous, but they have zero influence over the decision.
TallTexan
Regents meeting is Sunday/Monday. Big week for SFA.
NacMan
TallTexan said:

Agreed, there's an anti-system website circulating that gives some misleading info.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

TallTexan said:

Agreed, there's an anti-system website circulating that gives some misleading info.

The responses from stakeholders played out about the way I expected, given the powerful proposal by the UT System.

For the record, I was one of those people "marching in the streets" AGAINST system affiliation 10 years ago. Times have changed. The UT System proposal could be a real game changer for SFA. I expect some faculty and staff salary enhancements along with substantial increase in available scholarship funds for low income students. Combined with the heft and prestige that the University of Texas system brings to the table, it seems to me that UT has the best option for SFA. Hopefully the BOR sees this the way I do.
TallTexan
Response reports have been posted.

https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/campus-group-response-academic-affairs.pdf

https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/campus-group-response-staff-council.pdf

https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/campus-group-response-sga.pdf

https://www.sfasu.edu/docs/board-regents/campus-group-response-alumni-association.pdf

Somewhat useful info.
PurpleOut
Staff
Seems very clear, that UT is the overwhelming favorite from all groups.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Yes sir. It would be a tragedy if SFA chose A&M or Texas State system. My sense is that the faculty, would revolt. And with good reason. UT lays out in very clear terms what they plan to do and what some of the anticipated impact would be. Texas A&M lays out a plan for our Forestry Department, that's about it. Maybe a little help in the engineering front. But not to much engineering help.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

Yes sir. It would be a tragedy if SFA chose A&M or Texas State system. My sense is that the faculty, would revolt. And with good reason. UT lays out in very clear terms what they plan to do and what some of the anticipated impact would be. Texas A&M lays out a plan for our Forestry Department, that's about it. Maybe a little help in the engineering front. But not to much engineering help.
We do not need A&M to improve ATCOFA.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

Agreed 100%.
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

PurpleOut said:

Amen!

Personally, I think being the only ag & forestry experts in the UT system will probably encourage them to invest in it heavily. We'll help them bring home the bacon there.
SFA88
The Alumni Association response was very weak. Do they have no opinion beyond name, colors, and logos or is it laid out in the internal memorandum of understanding? Clearly, I'm missing something.
NacMan
SFA posted some additional information on its system website based on meetings held with each system in Dallas last week.

https://www.sfasu.edu/about-sfa/board-of-regents/university-system

I have not read all the material, but I did peek at the UT System replies, and on page 5-6 of the UT response, it looks like UT is pledging $80m in additional funding & support for SFA per year? With further amounts to be determined? Pinch me.
NacMan
NacMan said:

SFA posted some additional information on its system website based on meetings held with each system in Dallas last week.

I have not read all the material, but I did peek at the UT System replies, and on page 5-6 of the UT response, it looks like UT is pledging $80m in additional funding & support for SFA per year? With further amounts to be determined? Pinch me.
Correction: about $80m in additional funding for FY'23, including a large chunk of $65 million for capital improvements. Ongoing support looks to be about $12m per year.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

I think your numbers are off. I read through it. Funding increases , yes. $80 million, No.

Some of that $80 million looks to be initial funding to level faculty and staff salaries.
BigJack85
NacMan said:

NacMan said:

Correction: about $80m in additional funding for FY'23, including a large chunk of $65 million for capital improvements. Ongoing support looks to be about $12m per year.

Ya. That is closer to what I read. Still, very significant. I've said it before. If SFA walks away from this proposal (UT) OR picks another system, it would be questionable.
wawwhite
I'm all for SFA becoming a member of the UT system, I think it is the best option. I would like to know why UT is putting a lot of effort into adding SFA. There appears to be more than what can be divulged at the moment, which is a good thing IMO.
BigJack85
wawwhite said:

I'm all for SFA becoming a member of the UT system, I think it is the best option. I would like to know why UT is putting a lot of effort into adding SFA. There appears to be more than what can be divulged at the moment, which is a good thing IMO.

We have great value. A residential campus that is the most beautiful in the state. That's my take.
PurpleOut
Staff
I think Texas Tech hit a home run with this video. Very well done.

BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

I think Texas Tech hit a home run with this video. Very well done.

I watched it. They did. If PUF was spread appropriately….
SFAXE93
Texas Tech and SFA were both founded in 1923 lots of parallels.

Man that video show's how bad they want it.
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
NacMan
I think Texas Tech would be a reasonable choice. They sincerely do appear to want us, and there's some personal and historical parallels highlighted in that well made video. Tech was my favorite at the start of the process, it's just that the UT offer seems so much better in terms of financial support.

We'll see. The only thing I know for sure is that we have multiple good offers on the table, and it would be ridiculous if we walked away from them all and stayed independent. If SFA was capable of growing on her own, why haven't we over the last few decades? SFA had 12,687 students in 1992.
TallTexan
NacMan said:

I think Texas Tech would be a reasonable choice. They sincerely do appear to want us, and there's some personal and historical parallels highlighted in that well made video. Tech was my favorite at the start of the process, it's just that the UT offer seems so much better in terms of financial support.

We'll see. The only thing I know for sure is that we have multiple good offers on the table, and it would be ridiculous if we walked away from them all and stayed independent. If SFA was capable of growing on her own, why haven't we over the last few decades? SFA had 12,687 students in 1992.
For sure. I'd be super happy with Texas or Tech. After that, it mostly comes down to the money difference.
SFA Jack Fanatic
While that video definitely tugs at the heartstrings, the bottom line reason we're looking at joining any system is financial.

In my humble opinion, on each of the three most worrisome issues at SFA that I see: low/no enrollment growth, noncompetitive faculty and staff pay, and lacking student financial assistance, the UT proposal wins.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

While that video definitely tugs at the heartstrings, the bottom line reason we're looking at joining any system is financial.

In my humble opinion, on each of the three most worrisome issues at SFA that I see: low/no enrollment growth, noncompetitive faculty and staff pay, and lacking student financial assistance, the UT proposal wins.
I believe you're correct in that assumption. We'd have largely the same funding we do now in both the A&M & Tech systems.

Also, I really liked UT highlighting that SFA having a different profile and programs than the system is a good thing for both the system & SFA.

Folks really want to sell the A&M is a great culture fit & sooo similar angle, and to me, homogeniety isn't always the best answer. We know rural education like the back of our hand. We don't need a system to teach us about that, we need it to help us be the best SFA that we can be. What are 10 other SFA clones going to teach us? They want to be us.
TallTexan
I read every new proposal & doc posted on the site tonight. Will try to do an overall breakdown summary tomorrow. Some real interesting stuff.

But for now? I'm about to sleep like the dead, hopefully my eyes will uncross during the night.
BigJack85
I DID NOT read all of the proposals "word for word". I did read all of them with an eye for the overall thrust of the proposals strengths and weaknesses.

My results were similar to what the academic affairs group reported. I probably rate the proposals similar to Tall Texan'. All the proposals promise autonomy, which should be a minimum expectation. Over time that autonomy may change. Hopefully SFA gets a graduate on the seat of the UT system board. We need an advocate

Slightly related. Once this is over I hope SFA takes a strong look at CUSA. The WAC is a great vehicle, but I am afraid it won't hold up with the current realignment wave proceeding.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.