General Academic Thread

174,210 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

…with probably a shorter leash.

This fundraising campaign is a big test. If it gets going strong and he gets some credit , things could turn around quickly. I think it is reasonable for SFA to raise $80-$90 million and add $50-$60 of that sum to the permanent endowment

Someone on the funding team told me to expect a big announcement at that October "Launch" shindig. They seemed to insinuate that 100 mil was in reach but that exceeding it would not be unexpected.

I figure part of his retention is getting through the fundraising campaign.
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
This certainly doesn't feel like the end of the saga.

Here's to hoping that Gordon and the board can mend some broken bridges.
sfajack05
TallTexan said:

This certainly doesn't feel like the end of the saga.

Here's to hoping that Gordon and the board can mend some broken bridges.
Is it the board vs Gordon or is the board and Gordon vs Faculty and staff?

From what I've heard it's more the second one and you can throw athletics in there with things the faculty are mad about. I was told the faculty senate have a vote of no confidence drawn up for the BOR depending on what they did with Gordon.

I guess we will see.
SFAJack_76
Jacks4460
this seems like board and gordon vs the senate faculty committee... which that is composed up of liberal thinkers and it is what it is.. They dont like being held accountable for things and dont like change so its time to start causing havoc with administrators that dont agree to do things the way they want them done..
Rollo Thomassie
I don't think there's an ideological angle to the unhappiness faculty, staff, and administrators have with President Gordon and the board of regents. President Gordon has been a mixed bag. He's done a few things right, such as tuition wavers for faculty and staff dependents and clearing away some of the deadwood left over from the disastrous Pattillo years. He's also made his share of mistakes, such as the disastrous eight week semester debacle that he initiated and then refused to accept responsibility for. His biggest problem, though, is that he's apparently abusive toward administrators and denigrates them behind their backs. As for the board of regents, there's a consensus among faculty and administrators that its members neither understand nor care about the academic side of the university. Moreover, there's increasing evidence that they didn't oversee the university finances very effectively. In fact, the new provost recently admitted in a memo to faculty that no one has any idea what the university's budget shortfall will be; there are apparently estimates ranging from twelve to twenty-seven million dollars. Such uncertainty is a damning indictment of the board's competence, and has led some to question whether SFA would be better off in a system.
TallTexan
Rollo Thomassie said:

I don't think there's an ideological angle to the unhappiness faculty, staff, and administrators have with President Gordon and the board of regents. President Gordon has been a mixed bag. He's done a few things right, such as tuition wavers for faculty and staff dependents and clearing away some of the deadwood left over from the disastrous Pattillo years. He's also made his share of mistakes, such as the disastrous eight week semester debacle that he initiated and then refused to accept responsibility for. His biggest problem, though, is that he's apparently abusive toward administrators and denigrates them behind their backs. As for the board of regents, there's a consensus among faculty and administrators that its members neither understand nor care about the academic side of the university. Moreover, there's increasing evidence that they didn't oversee the university finances very effectively. In fact, the new provost recently admitted in a memo to faculty that no one has any idea what the university's budget shortfall will be; there are apparently estimates ranging from twelve to twenty-seven million dollars. Such uncertainty is a damning indictment of the board's competence, and has led some to question whether SFA would be better off in a system.
The debt and allegations of bullying are the biggest concerns to me. Sure, there are gonna be some friction issues, but it kinda irks me when the BOR puts out statements saying "both sides need to offer an olive branch" when the big issues, raises in a pandemic while furloughing staff and potentially being a bad boss all seem to be one sided.

Being resistant to change is pretty typical and if that's the worst that the Deans have done, I'm not really sure what they should be apologizing for. They might need to adapt, but I'm not sure they need to apologize on their part.

Gordon and the BOR though? They need to build some bridges.
TallTexan
Is part of the problem that the BOR isn't finance heavy? We have incredibly good finance and accounting schools, certainly we have some alums who would fit the bill?
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
TallTexan
SFAJack_76 said:

Hopefully a step in the right direction.
SFA Jack Fanatic
College enrollment across America is down 6.5% compared to two years ago, the largest two-year enrollment drop in the last 50 years.

Much of that can obviously be blamed on the pandemic, but how much? What other factors are in play? High tuition and fees? Grads being burdoned with tremendous long term debt? Many dead end degrees that provide very little ROI compared to technical training programs?
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

College enrollment across America is down 6.5% compared to two years ago, the largest two-year enrollment drop in the last 50 years.

Much of that can obviously be blamed on the pandemic, but how much? What other factors are in play? High tuition and fees? Grads being burdoned with tremendous long term debt? Many dead end degrees that provide very little ROI compared to technical training programs?

Truth. It's been a problem for 2-4 years. Another issue. The state of Texas is building to many universities. I don't see the state needing to continually build new units of large universities. It's going to end in a glut.
TallTexan
Multiple factors IMO.

The biggest one to me though is the devaluation of the bachelor's degree. At the same time that most employers started demanding them, they also cut back greatly on training programs. So quickly it became a bachelor's plus 2 or 3 years. Well if you've got 2 or 3 years of experience doing the vast majority of jobs, you don't really need the bachelor's degree. You need time to figure out how to do the job.

So now folks are looking and saying, why get 40k dollars worth of debt if I still need experience to actually get a job? And they go into the workforce instead. And the truth is, a metric ton of jobs don't need a full 4 year degree. But we've reached a point where a masters or bachelor's plus 2 years of experience is needed for a lot of entry level rows.

Here is a good resource on the ROI of college majors at different universities though. SFA included.

https://freopp.org/we-calculated-return-on-investment-for-30-000-bachelors-degrees-find-yours-1f2f3c5e6dac
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Truth. It's been a problem for 2-4 years. Another issue. The state of Texas is building to many universities. I don't see the state needing to continually build new units of large universities. It's going to end in a glut.
The problem is 5 or 6 university systems all competing to stake out their own kingdoms instead of a smart, centralized planning system for capacity.

I'm not sure we've reached peak enrollment yet, but it's certainly not happening in the right places. Houston has some of the lowest number of college seats per capita in the entire US.
BigJack85
Special BOR meeting December 12? ? ? ?
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Special BOR meeting December 12? ? ? ?
Interesting. Wonder what it is.
nacluth
Wonder when the agenda will become available.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Wouldn't stun me to hear significant news.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Good significant or bad significant?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

BigJack85 said:

nacluth said:

Good significant or bad significant?

No idea. If they are posting this meeting on a 10 day notice, makes me wonder.
SFAJack_76
Didn't want to start a new thread, but wanted to share this. They were at the basketball game last night. First time out since the accident. Erika played volleyball at SFA, and is President-Elect of the Alumni Association.
SFAJack_76
Faculty out recruiting. Posted on FB.

"Great to be home after a three-day recruitment trip with the SFA Faculty Brass Quintet. We visited eight schools throughout the East Texas and Dallas area and met some wonderful students and their talented directors. A perfect way to end the fall semester and build some momentum for the spring! #sfa #brass #quintet #sfaschoolofmusic"
TallTexan
TallTexan
Any updates on the regents meeting?
BigJack85
TallTexan said:

Any updates on the regents meeting?

Looks like they blessed the accountants report.
Rollo Thomassie
Rumormill has it that the architects who designed the pricy fine arts building currently under construction forgot to include faculty offices. Any confirmation?
nacluth
It took a google search of SFA Fine Arts building plan to get this first result: https://www.finearts.sfasu.edu/expansion

Looks like plenty of offices in these plans.
SFAJack_76
Rollo Thomassie said:

Rumormill has it that the architects who designed the pricy fine arts building currently under construction forgot to include faculty offices. Any confirmation?
No. Looks like plenty of office space to me.

https://www.finearts.sfasu.edu/expansion

Since you're back, Rollo, did you ever set up a meeting with Ryan Ivey to ask your athletic department questions? If not, why not?

Did you view the Avery Brittingham video? And, then watch it again? If not ….

You never answered my questions.
Rollo Thomassie
Well, I may be wrong, but I don't see anything in the floorplan that says, "Faculty offices." I see "Administrative offices," but that's different. Am I missing something?

By the way, if anyone is interested in a budget whitewash, read this article in the Pine Log: http://www.thepinelog.com/article_1a4b42a2-8862-11ec-8966-8fa4e755fae7.html. It would be pretty funny if it wasn't so serious.

Also, my efforts to secure a barber's chair for my program…rebuffed. Apparently some see barber's chairs as superfluous to SFA's mission. Can you imagine that? I mean, c'mon!
nacluth
Rollo Thomassie said:

Well, I may be wrong, but I don't see anything in the floorplan that says, "Faculty offices." I see "Administrative offices," but that's different. Am I missing something?
Yes, the ability to do the most cursory research before spouting dumb rumors.

Here's the part of the picture that you couldn't see.

SFAJack_76
Rollo Thomassie said:

By the way, if anyone is interested in a budget whitewash, read this article in the Pine Log: http://www.thepinelog.com/article_1a4b42a2-8862-11ec-8966-8fa4e755fae7.html. It would be pretty funny if it wasn't so serious.

Also, my efforts to secure a barber's chair for my program…rebuffed. Apparently some see barber's chairs as superfluous to SFA's mission. Can you imagine that? I mean, c'mon!
Still no answers to my very straightforward, and simple, questions.
wahlwesle
Rollo Thomassie said:

Let me know where to make the donation to and I'll buy you a barbers chair for your program.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.