2019 Volleyball

97,561 Views | 606 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAXE93 said:

Now get ready for a hot A&M CC team that has won 8 straight.
That's pretty good and we play at their house too. It's almost half of our 17 straight.
Pilotgirl
Got a great volleyball game going between our girls and TAMU CC. SFA took the first set. Cc took the close second set, 25-23. Game is free to watch on TAMU CC website.
Pilotgirl
https://team1sports.com/goislanders/
nacluth
It is tough to play in Corpus.
nacluth
Got serious and decided to bury Corpus in the third.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Got serious and decided to bury Corpus in the third.

They survived a late CC surge. SFA leads 2-1
nacluth
This fourth is whack. No separation by more than two all set.
nacluth
Well darn, I thought we were going to make it through conference without a five setter. Let's go Ladyjacks!
Pilotgirl
We needed a game like this, TBH. 5th set will decide the game!
nacluth
SFA just too strong in crunch time. Nice win Ladyjacks!

Come on home.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Come on home.

PURPLE LIGHTS!!!! LadyJacks take the 5th set 15-9
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Come on home.
That was close....

Side note: TAMCC's video broadcast was far superior to what SFA's crew has provided so far this year.
BigJack85
Whew. Thx for the link Pilot! Watched most of it. Like they have another gear when they need it.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

nacluth said:

Come on home.
That was close....

Side note: TAMCC's video broadcast was far superior to what SFA's crew has provided so far this year.

I was thinking the exact same thing...
nacluth
This didn't get mentioned last night, but because of the win (now 13-0 in conference), we are now SLC regular season champs again. Technically we own just a share of the title, but we just need one win over one of the remaining three games (all teams are tied with 3-10 records) to be outright champs.

Congratulations on bringing home another ring!
nacluth
Straight set victory in San Antonio for the ladies to clinch the outright Southland championship!
CertifiedAxeman98
Ok so I have never been to Shelton Gym for a volleyball game and we plan to go next Saturday. I have only seen them streaming. How early should I get there and should I get tickets early or just at the door.

Edit: looks like the online tickets are just football and basketball. Also where should we park?
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm not the best to answer since I haven't been to Shelton in years, but might try the student center parking garage next to the UC. That's where I parked yesterday to run into the book store. It was open (maybe for Showcase Saturday) but also have a level or two for visitors.
nacluth
Typically we just park behind the library. It's open for the volleyball games. There's seats anytime, but if you want your choice, show up before the game starts. It keeps filling after that.
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Ok so I have never been to Shelton Gym for a volleyball game and we plan to go next Saturday. I have only seen them streaming. How early should I get there and should I get tickets early or just at the door.

Edit: looks like the online tickets are just football and basketball. Also where should we park?
Admission is free. We park behind the library or by the tennis courts. If you park by the tennis courts, you get to walk right by the new beach volleyball courts. I suggest getting to Shelton 30 minutes or so before the match. More to watch the warm ups and take in the environment than to get seats. Other than Purple Haze, students tend to get there just before the match starts.

Not sure it has been mentioned here, but I see our RPI was up to 35 before the two matches this week. It will be interesting to see the next rankings tomorrow.
CertifiedAxeman98
Thanks for all the help. We can't wait for next weekend.
SFAJack_76
#17 Rice loses a five set match at home to #22 WKU for their second loss of the season. Shouldn't hurt our RPI much.
nacluth
It will be interesting to see what changes there are in the polls today. SFA keeps winning and basically everyone above them has had a loss this past week, but they have also had wins against top 50 teams. It's going to be hard for SFA to go anywhere this late in the season against SLC competition. Our RPI is stuck in the mid 30's. Close, but not going to break the top 25 coaches poll either. Love this team though. They have done what was asked of them.
CertifiedAxeman98
Last year we had to play #5 Texas first in the tournament since we got put in their group. Does anyone know what our RPI was or what kind of coaches votes we were getting last year?

They only seed 1-16 and from what I remember that determines where they group teams for the first 2 rounds with each of the 16 getting to play at home. Seems like we want someone like Rice to get a 16 seed so that we can get in their group and play in Houston rather than in a Texas or Baylor grouping for the first 2 rounds. Seems like if we end up in a Texas or Baylor group we would not have to play them first this year but would have to play them second.

We would need to be undefeated to even have a chance at a ranking with such weak SLC teams.

Also, link to stats below with Taya Mitchell at 6 on blocks per set and sfa at 7 in team blocks per set.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/volleyball-women/d1
nacluth
Still have to win the SLC tournament, but hopefully better seeding awaits this year. Last year's Austin first round was:
Texas (RPI: 3)
Texas State (RPI: 24)
Rice (RPI: 30)
SFA (RPI: 45)

We beat Rice last year as well in season. It was a brutal pull. We're trending to be around 35-40 RPI if we finish out. That may or may not be good enough to make the 2/3 seed game for our region. Especially not if Rice ends up in a Texas or Baylor region. My guess is that we'll have to face a big dog first though it is a crappy reward for a one loss season. Maybe, just maybe we'll get a top 30 team instead. Fingers crossed...and first let's finish business in the Southland.
TallTexan
I take it these are regional based seedings?
nacluth
Yeah
BigJack85
Unlikely, but I would like to see us pushed to a different region as a #3 seed. I won't be surprised but it seems like a complete miscarriage if we end up a #4.
SFAJack_76
Latest RPI has us up one to #34. Behind us are Notre Dame, Michigan, Georgia, and Iowa State. I believe this is the highest RPI in school volleyball history.

Massey ratings have us at 32.

Illinois, with an RPI of 43, is ranked 25th in the coaches poll, 70 points ahead of #26 SFA. #22 Washington State has an RPI of 40. Ridiculous.

We were again ignored by the SLC for the offensive and defensive players of the week. These are selected by the AD's. Absurd.

BigJack85
Disappointed in the lack of recognition of this team at the Conference level. The Southland doesn't have any marquee "name brand" athletic program(s). If they did it would be SFA and possibly Sam. Kind of surprised.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

Disappointed in the lack of recognition of this team at the Conference level. The Southland doesn't have any marquee "name brand" athletic program(s). If they did it would be SFA and possibly Sam. Kind of surprised.

I am perpetually disappointed in this conference.
FLK_LMB
That is incorrect. AD's have no role in selecting the Players of the Week, nor do the conference employees. They are nominated by and voted on by SID's.
SFAJack_76
FLK_LMB said:

That is incorrect. AD's have no role in selecting the Players of the Week, nor do the conference employees. They are nominated by and voted on by SID's.
Yep. I was wrong. Most SID's don't know volleyball stats. I can assure you that our coach tells our SID who to nominate.

This does not change my opinion that the, by far, best team in the conference can't get recognition by the SLC. Has there been anything put out by the conference that there is a volleyball team just outside the top 25 in the country? They should be promoting the heck out of it.
FLK_LMB
I don't disagree with you on that. It's pulling teeth to get the Southland Conference to recognize our volleyball program and how well they've done. I hear the trophy will actually be presented to us before the tournament this year, so that's a drastic improvement from before, but the coverage from the conference is very poor.
SFAJack_76
FLK_LMB said:

I don't disagree with you on that. It's pulling teeth to get the Southland Conference to recognize our volleyball program and how well they've done. I hear the trophy will actually be presented to us before the tournament this year, so that's a drastic improvement from before, but the coverage from the conference is very poor.
Correct on the trophy presentation. It will be presented at the game tomorrow night.

And, welcome to the Sawmill forums. I particularly appreciate those that have an interest in the non-revenue sports.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.