2019 Volleyball

97,567 Views | 606 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
nacluth
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thanks. I was using the SLC app's calendar, and they had them playing tomorrow but have now corrected it.
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

Ladyjacks up to "RV". Rice now ranked 22nd... Wow, we don't get any respect.

I didn't go thru the entire list of poll contributors but it looks like the HC at TAMU - CC voted for us along with the HC at Northern Kentucky. I didn't catch the other voter that voted for us but it wasn't Humphrey's as I believe coaches are not allowed to vote for there own team!
SFA got three points in the latest poll. A 25th place vote from the A&M-Corpus coach, who dropped us from 24th the prior week, and a 24th place vote from the Rice head coach. Probably a bit of a self serving vote on the part of both of them.

I continue to look forward to the first RPI. Humphreys expects it to come out in the next week or so.

SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Thanks. I was using the SLC app's calendar, and they had them playing tomorrow but have now corrected it.
I have seen some things on the SLC app in the past that were wrong. Need to be careful with it.
djsfw57
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I didn't go thru the entire list of poll contributors but it looks like the HC at TAMU - CC voted for us along with the HC at Northern Kentucky. I didn't catch the other voter that voted for us but it wasn't Humphrey's as I believe coaches are not allowed to vote for there own team!
SFA got three points in the latest poll. A 25th place vote from the A&M-Corpus coach, who dropped us from 24th the prior week, and a 24th place vote from the Rice head coach. Probably a bit of a self serving vote on the part of both of them.

I continue to look forward to the first RPI. Humphreys expects it to come out in the next week or so.

How the hell they have a team with a losing record ranked (Oregon, 4-5) is beyond me. Doesn't make any sense at all.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

How the hell they have a team with a losing record ranked (Oregon, 4-5) is beyond me. Doesn't make any sense at all.
Well, three of their five loses are to top 7 teams. Part is they started the season top ten. They have dropped every week. I think they are ranked too high, but against the same schedule our record would be very similar. Perhaps a little better. Perhaps worse.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

I think the Rice University coach is a little disingenuous.... you can't lose to SFA on a "neutral" court and not think that they are AT LEAST as good as Rice, therefore should be ranked higher. Perfect logic right? I mean if Rice beat UT and we beat Rice then we "would" beat UT??? JK , I don't believe all that relative wins three removed stuff but.... Our overall list of wins should get us in the top 25 but the assumption that voters have made (without looking) is that SFA has played only the lowest tier of Division 1 Volleyball squads. Not true. SFA's schedule is solid through and through with only one or two weak opponents.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
CertifiedAxeman98
We should run through the SLC again this year and similar to basketball we won't see a ranking just some votes. This team could be undefeated and still not see anything more than some votes.
nacluth
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

We should run through the SLC again this year and similar to basketball we won't see a ranking just some votes. This team could be undefeated and still not see anything more than some votes.
This is probably true. It would take the teams that we beat to perform well and for Arkansas St. to have a great year as well as the current top 25 to falter. Until we can break through in the tournament, we're not getting breaks among the voters.
TallTexan
Maybe receiving votes will get us an opponent not named UT in the first round.
SFAJack_76
Our opponents records to date:

UTSA - 7-6
Bradley - 4-7
SMU - 7-3
Loyola-Chicago - 7-6
Texas Tech - 10-4
Austin Peay - 2-11
Northwestern - 9-3
Arkansas State - 9-3
Arkansas- Pine Bluff - 0-12
Rice - 11-1 (!)
Prarie View - 0-14
UTA - 8-4

Everybody in conference play this week.
PurpleOut
Staff
Shelton is PAAAACKED tonight. Very impressive.

Side note, Purple Haze is louder for volleyball than they are for basketball.
PurpleOut
Staff
What if we started some funding for bleachers for Shelton?

nacluth
What about club chairs?

In other news, SFA moves along Corpus in straight sets.
PurpleOut
Staff
They added some chairs for high PLF donors on the floor, but from what I could tell there were 4 of them tonight and the rest of the side court was empty. So yeah, I mean chairs along the entire length of the court is one option like in the Coliseum. But I was thinking more along the lines of small bleachers, 3-4 rows to get more people closer to action.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

They added some chairs for high PLF donors on the floor, but from what I could tell there were 4 of them tonight and the rest of the side court was empty. So yeah, I mean chairs along the entire length of the court is one option like in the Coliseum. But I was thinking more along the lines of small bleachers, 3-4 rows to get more people closer to action.

You are exactly right about there being plenty of room on that side. More chairs could be short term. As Ivey said, money gets the bleachers.
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Didn't realize that it was a first for a SFA to get votes in the top 25 rankings! Great job Ladyjacks. Hope this is just the beginning.
SFAJack_76
"Southland Conference: Stephen F. Austin keeps rolling, and that includes the start of SLC play, as it improved to 13-1 with a sweep of visiting Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. Corin Evans led with 12 kills and hit .462 after having no errors in 26 swings. She had 10 digs Abilene Christian (2-9) swept Incarnate Word (4-11) as Lindsey Toney had 11 kills, four aces, four digs and a block Houston Baptist (9-7) beat Central Arkansas (6-8) in four. Mikayla Vivens led with 15 kills and hit .350 after having one error in 40 swings. She added an ace, 16 digs and a block. Madi Bowles had 15 kills and hit .519 for UCA Sam Houston State (5-8) won at Northwestern State (8-7) in four as Ashley Lewis had 23 kills. She hit .302, had two assists and a dig New Orleans (9-7) beat visiting Nicholls State (6-6) in four. Rhyan Rand led with 11 kills, 10 digs and two blocks And Southeastern Louisiana (6-9) swept visiting McNeese State (7-6) behind 13 kills from Jolie Hidalgo, who had no errors in 25 attacks and hit .520 to go with 10 digs and two blocks, one solo."
SFAXE93
PurpleOut said:

How much were you thinking?
SFAXE93
I see Rice is 11-1 and ranked #22 in the nation.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93 said:

I see Rice is 11-1 and ranked #22 in the nation.
The win over, then, #3 UT got them into the top 25. Now that they are in conference play, they could win out with their only loss being to .... SFA.
BigJack85
I found a stats website that has a pseudo RPI that looks accurate. ncaastats.figstats.net

nacluth
Interesting. Their predictions has us in the low 30's range over three different algorithms (25, 32, 33). Unfortunately, we just beat the next best Southland team by their estimation in Corpus (118, 138, 138). Every other SLC team is significantly lower. This typically means we're topping out on RPI right now as our SOS will crumble.

But, if we continue to win, we will probably still get votes for a while.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93 said:

PurpleOut said:

How much were you thinking?
I guess it depends on what can be purchased/how much they need. There's several places online where anyone can buy indoor/portable bleachers. A 3-row, 15-seat set from this site for example is $600 (without shipping). I'm sure there's other options and maybe we already have an account with someone that provides bleachers. I can try to check with Ivey.
sfajack05
PurpleOut said:

Shelton is PAAAACKED tonight. Very impressive.

Side note, Purple Haze is louder for volleyball than they are for basketball.
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that.
BigJack85
Ya... the Volleyball squad has really got a good thing going. A few bleachers would be great. I must admit I REALLY like the throwback, old school set up we have. I would guess that it is by far the best atmosphere in the conference. Don't want to change that.
PurpleOut
Staff
BigJack85 said:

Ya... the Volleyball squad has really got a good thing going. A few bleachers would be great. I must admit I REALLY like the throwback, old school set up we have. I would guess that it is by far the best atmosphere in the conference. Don't want to change that.
Do you think adding bleachers (even a small number) would help or change the atmosphere? Just curious, if you were meaning that you only liked the fans up top.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

Do you think adding bleachers (even a small number) would help or change the atmosphere? Just curious, if you were meaning that you only liked the fans up top.

Put the students on the floor bleachers near the action. Then, I think enhanced.
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAJack_76 said:

PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

Put the students on the floor bleachers near the action. Then, I think enhanced.
I've thought about that, but I think you'd need a lot of bleachers to have students down there. Unless you just make it first come first serve I guess, and then everyone else sits in their normal section. So I agree with that. Maybe some bleachers in the middle, club chairs on each side for donors.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

BigJack85 said:

I don't know what works best. Honestly it's been years since I've been in Shelton. My only reason for piping in is that I've seen SFA try to "enhance" an experience only to modify for short-term benefit.

Maybe my point is that I like the set up now and the fact that not everyone can get a seat makes it that much more attractive.
TallTexan
I'd imagine that if we random citizens can order online for 1500 for 40 seats, that a wholesale supplier/commercial account could get them for something like 70-75% of that total.

Not bad pricing either way.
TallTexan
Think the one challenge you'd see with first come first serve on the floor is your more fanatical students would show up first, so you might be separating the ring leaders from the masses.

Just my 2 cents.
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

Think the one challenge you'd see with first come first serve on the floor is your more fanatical students would show up first, so you might be separating the ring leaders from the masses.

Just my 2 cents.
I think PHA is the main force for students. I don't think it'd be fair to only let PHA sit down there...or would it? Maybe that would drive more students to actually join and want to participate with them.
nacluth
I would be fine with that. Or they could have theme nights, and if you dressed up, you get to sit low.
SFAXE93
I'm in for $500 if y'all are going to do this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.