2019 Volleyball

97,592 Views | 606 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
TallTexan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sfa: 11
Usc:19
SFAJack_76
USC is big, fast, and strong. Seeing the two teams at the net, they are much bigger.
TallTexan
Yep it's making a difference.
SFAJack_76
They served at Pagan all set. She really struggled with the serve receive. Got much better as the set went on. Freshman jitters no doubt.
nacluth
Lost first set. SFA has been slow starters in tight games all year. Looked much better down the stretch. Time to grind out this second.
SFAJack_76
Kills 16-10 USC.
TallTexan
Am I wrong in thinking that height(and vertical leap) makes a huge difference in angle of attack?
nacluth
No you're not wrong. Their tall players have been a wall on the right side. Need to figure out where to go.
SFAJack_76
Great start to second set. Kills 6-0 SFA. Digging everything.
TallTexan
Great start to this one.
nacluth
Yes!!! Start to roll.
nacluth
Down 15-12 in set two. Got to stay steady. Not getting tons of straight hits.
nacluth
Playing hard, but this is the first time this year that the ladies are acting like they are overmatched. They can do it, but have to clean up the unforced errors.
SFAJack_76
We simply can't block them. Too big and fast. Their sets are really good. Our digs are fine. Sets have been fair.
TallTexan
Does ESPN3 only have 3 advertisers?
nacluth
It's been tough, and we are down to our last set. However, I remember when Rice had multiple match points and didn't win. They came back from 6 set points down to win the set in conference play. You cannot count the Jacks out until it's over.
BigJack85
Dig deep girls. Dig deep.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Need a push. Timeout speech: Did we win 31 games to say Hi to USC? Or do you want more? Go get something.
SFAJack_76
Two horrible sets lead to easy USC points. Our body language just got really bad.
jboy93
I'm not much of a volleyball expert but our setting is horrible!
SFAJack_76
jboy93 said:

I'm not much of a volleyball expert but our setting is horrible!

Passing has not been very good either. That is leading to some of the poor sets.

Well, it has been a great season
jboy93
Their outside hitters just are beating us down!
nacluth
This doesn't spoil the season, but would like to seen this closer. Seeding hurt. We just know we have to try to beef up our non-con.
jboy93
Still an outstanding year! Way to go ladies!!!
BigJack85
They still deserve all the accolades that come their way!!!
nacluth
What a spectacular year!!! I know they wanted more, but they were incredible this season. So good.
TallTexan
Proud of the girls. Feel like we ran into a seeding buzzsaw, but they put together an incredible run this season. Now onto beach volleyball.
TallTexan
What's our path to NCAA tourney success? Seems like we're gonna have to get more height to compete regularly.
SFAJack_76
Great season. Great two seasons. We are not a top 25 team, but it was fun to earn that level of recognition.

I don't know what exactly it takes to get to the next level. Height is part of it. Four of our nine recruits are 6' and taller. USC has 11 girls on their roster over 6'. But it is not just height. We have five on our roster listed at 6', only two played much all season. USC played much faster than anything I have seen. Our blocks and net defense were generally a step slow getting to the point of attack. When we did get there, they did a great job of tipping over the block, or hitting around it. Our serve receive was hit and miss. As I mentioned, they went after Pagan early and often. She is a really good young talent, and will get better. Their passing and setting was much better than ours. That isn't about height, but rather about skill. Our serve was as good, or maybe a touch better than theirs.

We did not play our best yesterday, but USC was most of that. I did not see anything yesterday to indicate we could beat them even at our best. The 7-2 start to the second set was fun, but that lead got erased quickly after a USC timeout.

2020 will be another rebuild year with our four seniors being half of the eight that played most of the time. Not sure who steps in. Sheets, a Juco transfer was next up, but she had a serious knee injury late in the season. Recovery could be an issue. Hill, a Juco with height, showed athleticism, but not enough skill to get regular playing time. Perhaps Perdue, our one sophomore, steps up. We were not deep this year. It was fortunate that the eight stayed generally healthy. This is a team sport. Humphreys will argue it is the most "team" sport there is. How do the new nine and whatever returners come together?

Again, a great season headed by a coach that is the best ever in the SLC, and one of the best in the NCAA.
TallTexan
Definitely agree on Humphries. And SLC is moving to a double bye system for conference tourney per announcers last night, so we ought to benefit from years to come.

I'm certain that playing more consistently in the NCAA will pay dividends in recruiting and I know we can coach them up.

Also, I need to watch more volleyball. After basketball, that might be the most action packed college sport.
SFAJack_76
Volleyball is action packed. In person, as are most sports, it is much better. The athleticism is really good. I don't know how they get to some of the balls they do without having some serious wrecks. Hence the ultimate team sport that Debbie calls it.

By the way, we had a really good crowd. Purple Haze had a good group. Crowd was subdued unfortunately, other than the start of the second set. USC took the crowd out early.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Our seniors -- Deron, Williams, Hollas, Evans -- are going to be sorely missed. They were an absolutely outstanding group.

I knew very little about volleyball before this season. I know a lot more now from watching several SFA matches. (Heck, I didn't even know what a libero does or even how to pronounce the darned word.) All of that will change now because of this edition of the Ladyjacks. For that, I'm thankful to them for lessening my ignorance about a great sport a little bit.
nacluth
Just to follow up, Baylor cleaned USC's clock in straight sets.
BigJack85
Wow. We wouldn't have had a chance.
nacluth
Wisconsin topped Baylor 3-1 to go to the championship game. Will play winner of Stanford/Minnesota. The Cardinal is up 1-0 right now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.