2019 Volleyball

98,828 Views | 606 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

#8 Penn State dominated #25 Illinois 25-15, 25-22, 25-18. At Illinois. Illinois is now 12-12 on the season. 7-8 in Big Ten. They must drop out of the top 25.

#20 California got swept at home by #27 UCLA. Not good. UCLA plays at #4 Stanford on Sunday. Cardinal fan on Sunday.

#21 Rice finishes their regular season at UTEP today.

#22 Washington State lost 3-1 at home to #15 Utah.

#23 Michigan plays at #5 Minnesota today. Golden Gopher fan today.

#24 San Diego had a nice win over #10 BYU 3-2.

#20 California lost today at home to RV USC in four sets.

#21 Rice swept UTEP yesterday.

#22 Washington State had to go five sets at home to beat 11-15 Colorado today.

#23 Michigan got swept by #5 Minnesota.

#25 Illinois swept a bad Rutgers team.

#27 UCLA got swept at #4 Stanford.

Tomorrow represents our best chance at getting in the top 25.
nacluth
Illinois is gone but the question is does USC jump us. Probably. I don't know if anyone else drops out.

The question will be if Washington State (with a worse RPI) drops out. If so, then we may make 25.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Illinois is gone but the question is does USC jump us. Probably. I don't know if anyone else drops out.

The question will be if Washington State (with a worse RPI) drops out. If so, then we may make 25.
Agree on the potential for USC to jump us. When Colorado was up 2-1 on Washington State, I thought they might drop out. They still might.
SFAJack_76
RPI stayed at 34. Massey is 32.
nacluth
Yep, the positive in the RPI standings is that SFA has a better RPI than 4 of the 6 ranked teams ahead of us: California, Washington State, Michigan, and Illinois.

Unfortunately by the same token, everyone receiving votes below us has higher RPIs than we do: UCLA, USC, Missouri, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma.

The Coaches selection committee has continually not used RPI as a high consideration for ranking, but it doesn't actually seem like it will hurt or help us much this week. Hopefully we'll get some reward with the long winning streak/undefeated in conference back to back years.
SFAJack_76
There are 335 D1 volleyball programs. SFA has an RPI of 34 of those 335. Frame of reference on how good this is.
CertifiedAxeman98
Saturday was my first live volleyball match and we had a great time. Lots of action. I sat next to Danea Daron's grandma and she was great to talk with. Danea had lots of kills in the match. I now have espn+ so I am going to try and catch their games starting Friday.

https://www.southland.org/tournaments/?id=135
SFAJack_76
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Saturday was my first live volleyball match and we had a great time. Lots of action. I sat next to Danea Daron's grandma and she was great to talk with. Danea had lots of kills in the match. I now have espn+ so I am going to try and catch their games starting Friday.

https://www.southland.org/tournaments/?id=135
Glad you made it to the match and had a great time. Hopefully you can make more next season. We are losing some big time seniors, but have a really good recruiting class coming in.
CertifiedAxeman98
It worked out well since we had planned to come up for the 2 basketball games we just came up early. I had this volleyball game on the schedule for awhile and it worked out great since they were able to win it in 3 sets we had time to check out the new STEM building before the women's basketball game. I hope next year they schedule a game like this on the same day as a football or basketball game.
SFAJack_76
Interesting, in several aspects.
nacluth
Well even with a barely winning record, Illinois stays in. No one drops out, and SFA gets edged by the other two California teams in points. Essentially we're now #28. Oh well. Close, but not going to make it this year.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
BigJack85
What a huge disappointment for the girls. They deserve to be ranked. If anything the overall record plus a win against a Top 25 squad. Well it goes to show the narrow mindedness of many of the voters.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFAJack_76
No way should Illinois be in the top 25. RPI of 45. Lazy voting. Clear Big Ten bias.

Interestingly, last week we were 70 points out of 25th. This week, although dropped to 28th, we are only 16 points back.

Disappointed for the coaches and players. They have done nearly everything they could do. Opposing coaches don't want to play us, and virtually refuse to play us in Nacogdoches. And, the SLC is no help at all.

By winning conference, we are guaranteed a spot in the NIVC. Of course, that is not what we want.

Need to win out, and hope for a decent seed probably at either Austin or Waco.
BigJack85
The AVCA website say there is one more poll..... maybe. Just maybe. Not optimistic. Wouldn't be upset if we got shipped somewhere as a #3 seed in one of the regionals. We should be a #2 seed.
nacluth
What will be interesting is if Texas and Baylor both get regionals. If they fill those up with local talent, we could be facing off with Rice, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas State for seeding. It would be a cheap shot for seeding in our area to bunch up so many top 40 teams, but the NCAA seems to have regional preference in volleyball.
Ryan
Kinnaird Guitars
SFAJack_76
Further evidence that the SLC is clueless.

A&M Corpus and NSU tied for third at 11-5. NSU beat A&M Corpus on the road 3-1. A&M Corpus beat NSU 3-0 in Natchitoches. Based on sets, common sense, and the way it has been done before, says that Corpus should be the higher seed in the tournament. But, this is the SLC. So, they did a coin toss. Damn head to head results, let's toss a coin. NSU wins the toss and gets the three seed. So the team with the next best RPI in the conference gets the four seed and ends up in the SFA side of the bracket.

Of course, the SLC still refuses to do any kind of promotion that one of the best women's volleyball teams in the country is in the conference.

Clueless.
TallTexan
This conference is bottom of the barrel.

We should seek options elsewhere when given the chance.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

What will be interesting is if Texas and Baylor both get regionals. If they fill those up with local talent, we could be facing off with Rice, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, and Texas State for seeding. It would be a cheap shot for seeding in our area to bunch up so many top 40 teams, but the NCAA seems to have regional preference in volleyball.

Agreed 100%. The regional preference penalizes teams like SFA.
CertifiedAxeman98
TallTexan said:

Every year that goes by I agree with this more and more. Lazy scheduling, dumb tie breaker rules, bad refs, a lack of promoting their teams and absolutely no plan for how to improve the quality of competition in the league. The Southland is an after thought if a thought at all by most national media. Even media that covers mid-major schools barely talk about the Southland. I am tired of being in a league that is good with being at or near the bottom and is so complacent.
BigJack85
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

TallTexan said:

Every year that goes by I agree with this more and more. Lazy scheduling, dumb tie breaker rules, bad refs, a lack of promoting their teams and absolutely no plan for how to improve the quality of competition in the league. The Southland is an after thought if a thought at all by most national media. Even media that covers mid-major schools barely talk about the Southland. I am tired of being in a league that is good with being at or near the bottom and is so complacent.

I couldn't agree more. I've thought through our options and they are very limited. CUSA, Sunbelt are not looking (at least with a 1aa football squad). American is beyond reach. Our only real option is to take the salvageable parts from the SLC , exit and petition the NCAA for cons to form a new conference made out of the best pieces (not many) of the SLC. I wish we had more. As long as the NCAA allows 32 automatic bids to the tournament we are stuck.
SFAJack_76

SFAJack_76
https://www.southland.org/news/2019/11/20/womens-volleyball-nsus-brister-crowned-2019-southland-volleyball-player-of-the-year.aspx

SFA's Miller should have been libero of the year. Averaging 5.37 digs per set compared to Sam's Miller of 5.04. Total digs for a numeric is wrong. SFA played far fewer sets because of all the three set sweeps. Also, SFA has 63 more blocks than Sam, so there are far fewer chances for digs.

Taya is #6 in the country for blocks and blocks per set, and she is only third team? Nope.

Hard to argue against Brister for POY.
nacluth
Totally agree about Maddie. The unsung hero of the year. And Taya being third team is just an insult. No one in the SLC has ever beaten her.
SFAJack_76
nacluth said:

Totally agree about Maddie. The unsung hero of the year. And Taya being third team is just an insult. No one in the SLC has ever beaten her.
Yes. We are not 28-1 without her. Humphreys commented that when we played UIW last season, Maddie was who we game planned for.
TallTexan
PurpleOut
Staff
TallTexan said:

SFA Jack Fanatic
The folks in the SLC office must have grown up in the "everyone's a winner" culture.
SFAJack_76
PurpleOut said:

TallTexan said:

Not sure exactly what you don't understand. The gist is that there is a middle blocker (MB) in the SLC ranked #6 in the country in blocks that was only third team all conference. It appears that voters put more value on offense than defense for a position that is mostly a front line, defensive position. I will take Taya over any MB that I saw this season. And, her offense is fine.

Maddie Miller not being libero of the year is simply wrong. The stats are in her favor.

It appears the voters didn't want to give too much credit to one team. SLC promoting mediocrity. If you want to be recognized as being the best, earn it.
BigJack85
Volleyblog has all the info. Great write up.
nacluth
Baylor beat Texas last night. Now RPI 1:Baylor, 2:Texas. This further sets up the probability of two Texas regionals.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Baylor beat Texas last night. Now RPI 1:Baylor, 2:Texas. This further sets up the probability of two Texas regionals.

Is that good or bad for us?
nacluth
It's hard to tell. It probably means we'll play in state though. I think it gives us a better chance at being a 2/3 seed regionally which means we can have a chance in our first round match. But, it means we will probably have to play either the #1 or #2 team in the nation in the second round.
TallTexan
Well, we'd have to beat them to win a national championship anyways, so might as well get it over with early in the tourney.
SFAJack_76
#22 Washington State, and their a RPI of 42, lost to RPI 52 Arizona State in four.
SFAJack_76
#2 seed Sam had to go five to advance against #7 seed SLU.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.