2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

107,022 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Hall apparently had a shoulder issue a few weeks ago that they thought was going to keep him out for a while. But I overheard him on Saturday saying he should be back in action soon, so no worries there.

One of the trainers had him practicing diving on loose balls. I thought that was rather strange training for someone who is injured. BTW, No-look and I both had trouble initially recognizing him with no flowing locks any more.
SFA Jack Fanatic
PurpleOut said:

On Murphy, he missed on Saturday with a personal issue. Seems like he's going through some things, but let's not count him out yet.

Man, I hope you're right!
SFAXE93
"History has no rubbish heap." Louis Blake Duff
SFAXE93
SFAXE93

nacluth
If GCU wins the conference outright, I'll be shocked. They didn't play with any toughness last year.
SFAXE93
No-look
Any scrimmages in the works?
djsfw57
I'm watching WAC media day. The guy doing the commentary really should learn Coach Keller's name. He has called him Kyler Keller twice.
djsfw57
Just finished watching SFA's time on WAC media day. Montavious Murphy is definitely still with the team. I'm pumped for basketball to start!
SFAJack_76
djsfw57 said:

Just finished watching SFA's time on WAC media day. Montavious Murphy is definitely still with the team. I'm pumped for basketball to start!
Interesting. What did Keller say?
SFAXE93
It's still live, I'll catch it on ESPN+ replay.

SFAJack_76
SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

I listened to it. Keller mentioned Murphy when going through the new guys. I am not convinced that he will be in uniform on November 7.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

djsfw57 said:

I listened to it. Keller mentioned Murphy when going through the new guys. I am not convinced that he will be in uniform on November 7.

I listened to the presser. Not convinced Murphy will be in uniform day one. That he talked about Murphy, tells me he is still in the mix. Probably will play. Question is how much and for how long.

Sounds like Jalil is developing. Let's hope it is quick.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks1989
Listened to Coach K talk. He said this is his biggest, fastest and best shooting team he has had. Add this to the best defensive team in the WAC and it sounds like the Jacks are going to be really hard to handle. Also said that AJ is starting to really fit in. Has great speed and toughness.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Listened to Coach K talk. He said this is his biggest, fastest and best shooting team he has had. Add this to the best defensive team in the WAC and it sounds like the Jacks are going to be really hard to handle. Also said that AJ is starting to really fit in. Has great speed and toughness.

Just based on watching them at Saturday's scrimmage, they definitely have multiple guys who can shoot the ball from long range. And they are fast. But biggest? Not sure about that one.
SFAXE93
This is pretty big overall

C:#14 CADE WALKER 6-10 (FR.)
F:#22 NANA ANTWI-BOASIAKO 6-10 (JR.)
F:#23 MONTAVIOUS MURPHY 6-9 (JR.)
F:#12 JALIL BEAUBRUN 6-9 (JR.)
G:#15 ROBBIE ARMBRESTER 6-6 (SO.)
F:#3 SADAIDRIENE HALL 6-5 (SO.)
G:#1 DERRICK TEZENO 6-5 (SO.)
G:#4 KYLE HAYMAN 6-5 (JR.)
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

. AJ should have lots of assists this year. His quickness and ability to penetrate the paint and his defense will get him some playing time
PurpleOut
Staff
Also, when he says big, that doesn't necessarily mean height. A lot of these guys, almost all actually, have added a lot of muscle.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

This is pretty big overall

C:#14 CADE WALKER 6-10 (FR.)
F:#22 NANA ANTWI-BOASIAKO 6-10 (JR.)
F:#23 MONTAVIOUS MURPHY 6-9 (JR.)
F:#12 JALIL BEAUBRUN 6-9 (JR.)
G:#15 ROBBIE ARMBRESTER 6-6 (SO.)
F:#3 SADAIDRIENE HALL 6-5 (SO.)
G:#1 DERRICK TEZENO 6-5 (SO.)
G:#4 KYLE HAYMAN 6-5 (JR.)

Is Nana still growing? I don't think he was listed as 6'10" previously.

And you can probably take Walker off the list. I'm sure he's just practice fodder. Too much of a project right now to see any meaningful minutes.
SFA88
nacluth said:

If GCU wins the conference outright, I'll be shocked. They didn't play with any toughness last year.

Agreed. They did 2 or 3 years ago. I wonder if that may be a failing of Brice Drew teams. Along with Blackshear (small at 5'10" 165), the 6'4" guard transfer from Presbyterian is getting a lot of love. They also added 3 point shooters. Sounds like their offense is going to be a bunch of drives by the guards and kick out to 3 point shooters if nothing is there. They don't seem to have a low post game and no defensive identity.

Of course, this is just a bunch of dumb guy guesses.
SFAJack_76
Today, Murphy is not on the team. Probably not tomorrow either.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

Super big bummer. The transfer portal. It's like Cracker Jacks.... You never know what you are going to get.

Hopefully the work that Nana has done over the summer gets him prepared for the rough and tumble of WAC play. Last year he didn't add much. 2022 - 2023 is the year for him to give back. Nana average 2.5 points/game last year. That needs to be 7 - 8 points/game for us to have a real inside presence. Jalil is a wild card. If something crazy happens and becomes a 7 -10 point guy, we could be just fine. Just can't do it all with guard play. I am pretty confident, that with Tezeno (is going to be special) and Hall, we've got one of the better small forward/big guard tandems in the league.
Jacks1989
I just looked. He is still on the team website roster. Hope it's not true.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

It takes a day or two to take it down……..
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

What about the day after tomorrow? I'm just grasping at straws here. Lol.
No-look
Why would you put in all the work and leave when the season is about to start?
BigJack85
No-look said:

Why would you put in all the work and leave when the season is about to start?

Kids. Ya. Why? Why? Why?

They told him he was going to have to play defense.
Jacks1989
Just speculating, I wonder if one of the other bigs was beating him out and he wasn't going to start?
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

Just speculating, I wonder if one of the other bigs was beating him out and he wasn't going to start?
All we can do now is speculate. Could be some personal issues. If he goes or stays I wish him well
SFAJack_76
Jacks1989 said:

It's true.
No-look
Any bigs left in the portal?
BigJack85
No-look said:

We picked up a commitment from Snow College. Looks like a solid JUCO. Could fill the Gavin Kensmil role.
No-look
BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

We picked up a commitment from Snow College. Looks like a solid JUCO. Could fill the Gavin Kensmil role.
I think he's for next year?
BigJack85
No-look said:

BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

I think he's for next year?

Yes. Jalil and Nana have to step up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.