2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

106,233 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Boom

PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93

G: ROBBIE ARMBRESTER 6-4; 220 Atlanta, Georgia (Wasatch Academy, Utah/Univ. Houston)

HIGH SCHOOL

3-star recruit by 247Sports and Rivals... Competed at Therrell High School in Atlanta during his first three seasons before transferring to Wasatch Academy for his senior year...

Also considered Georgia Tech, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Xavier, Clemson, Mississippi and Georgia.

Senior (2020-21): Averaged 8.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game... Finished with 10 points to lead Wasatch to win over No. 5 Oak Hill Academy... Scored 20 points at Layton Christian.

Junior (2019-20): Missed much of season with wrist injury... Member of team which advanced to State Championship game.

Sophomore (2018-19): Named to Class 2A All-State First Team and was only sophomore to be so honored... Member of All-Metro Team... Scored 10 points to lead Panthers to Class AA state championship title.

Freshman Stats at Houston
STATS
nacluth
Cool. Backbencher from Houston, but that was a great team to build experience at.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Cool. Backbencher from Houston, but that was a great team to build experience at.

U of H backbencher, not so bad. I'm super pumped.
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

Boom

Gigantic.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Some websites are saying he is 6'6". Some say 6'4". Either way, it appears that he is a tough banger. A national top 30 PF coming out of high school.

UH will be loaded at forward next year, with Sasser and Mack coming back, and a couple of top high schoolers coming on board. He wasn't going to get a lot of playing time. As someone said, he most certainly got some good coaching at UH.
PurpleOut
Staff
One issue in my opinion that we had last season was the lack of a mid-range game. Especially with Ware out, we didn't have much dribble penetration or pull up jumpers.

I think the guards we have signed have addressed that.

Armbrester looks like a combination of DayDay and Kevon.
No-look
Really liking the way it's shaping up. Another rim protector would be nice
SFA Jack Fanatic
A bit more information about Robbie from Rivals Basketball Recruiting...

Out of high school, was rated the 121st player in America and 30th small forward. Recruited to UH by Kellen Sampson. "Tough and active, Armbrester is a willing defender that can guard multiple spots on the defensive end. Not a tremendously explosive athlete, the three-star relies more on his blue-collared approach and physicality to score around the basket. He is a tremendous glue-guy that can fill a bevy of roles on both sides of the floor."

I've never heard the term "glue-guy" before, but I like what it implies.
No-look
How many spots left assuming no one else transfers?
SFAXE93
Is this what we have so far?

F:#11 MONTAVIOUS MURPHY 6-9 (SO.)
F:#22 NANA ANTWI-BOASIAKO 6-9 (JR.)
F:#3 SADAIDRIENE HALL 6-5 (SO.)
G:#1 DERRICK TEZENO 6-5 (SO.)
G:#00 KYLE HAYMAN 6-5 (FR.)
G:#0 NIGEL HAWKINS 6-4 (SR.)
G:#00 ROBBIE ARMBRESTER 6-4 (SO.)
G:#2 ROTI WARE 6-3 (SR.)
G:#5 JAYLIN JACKSON-POSEY 6-2 (SO.)
G:#00 AJ CAJUSTE 6-1 (JR.)
G:#10 LATRELL JOSSELL 5-11 (JR.)
nacluth
Cut Smith and Hyman and I think you're right.

Looks like 10 scholarships. Could use three more.
Jacks1989
Need another big man!
SFAXE93
Need about 4 more guys!
No-look
I'm assuming Nigel is staying?
nacluth
Oops no I think Nigel's gone too.
nacluth
Think we're sitting 7 guards and 3 forwards.
No-look
That would leave one senior. They may use that spot for a recruit for 2023 if everyone stays. There is a kid they really want according to chatter
nacluth
Are third year seniors still seniors?
Jacks1989
Still hoping that the SFA coaches with ties to Southern Miss can pull there big man that is in the portal. Tyler Stevenson would be a huge get for the Jacks.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Still hoping that the SFA coaches with ties to Southern Miss can pull there big man that is in the portal. Tyler Stevenson would be a huge get for the Jacks.
What are his skills that would make him attractive to our coaches?
Jacks1989
Tyler Stevenson is 6'8", 215 lbs. 14.5 ppg, 7.7 rpg. 49.2 fg%

We need a big man that can score and also have 2 coaches that were at Southern Miss. when he was there. Just figuring that since the coaches have ties to him that he is a possibility.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Tyler Stevenson is 6'8", 215 lbs. 14.5 ppg, 7.7 rpg. 49.2 fg%

We need a big man that can score and also have 2 coaches that were at Southern Miss. when he was there. Just figuring that since the coaches have ties to him that he is a possibility.
Makes sense. Great stats. Thanks, 89.
SFAXE93
He has a nice mid range shot

SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAXE93 said:

He has a nice mid range shot

Which of our coaches were there? With those stats there are sure to be lots of other schools coming after him. We'll just have to sit back and see if anything good happens or whether we're just spitting into the wind.
Jacks1989
Dalonte Hill - Assistant Head Coach at SFA. He was an assistant coach at Southern Miss.

Austin Cox - Director of Basketball Operations at SFA. He was Chief of Staff at Southern Miss.

Best part of this is that they know whether or not Tyler is a fit for the Jacks. They know his work ethic, attitude, is he a team player and what kind of student he is.
SFAXE93
I bet with all the holes LSU needs to fill on their roster, that they are on the trail for his services.

Didn't realize he was a former walk-on at Southern Miss.
LUMBERJACK2005
PurpleOut said:

Boom

He is super raw. Good defender but struggles to score. Watched him in practice at UH multiple times. Having said that, he is a kid that comes from being coached for a year by the best coach in the country
SFAJack_76
And, another one gone.
No-look
Not a big surprise. We kinda figured it. Hope he does well
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

And, another one gone.

Just my opinion, but... Not a great loss.
No-look
TallTexan
That Louisiana Lafeyette Center looks pretty decent but not sure if we have any connections to land him.
SFASawmillGuy
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

And, another one gone.

Just my opinion, but... Not a great loss.

He really started to look promising for us down the stretch, but this one is an odd choice. He could be a potential starter here but I don't see anywhere better he will even see the court.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.