2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

106,105 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

And, another one gone.

Just my opinion, but... Not a great loss.

He really started to look promising for us down the stretch, but this one is an odd choice. He could be a potential starter here but I don't see anywhere better he will even see the court.
SFASawmillGuy
Speaking more on his potential. He was improving a lot near the end of the season and could potentially be a game changer in the future. But he's not going to get a better chance than at SFA, he's gonna have to go to a smaller program.
No-look
Recruiting has been strong for the WAC teams so far. We have done a good job I think. We need another big that's an impact player that would potentially be a starter. NMS is recruiting well and I want to sweep them. Lol
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

Speaking more on his potential. He was improving a lot near the end of the season and could potentially be a game changer in the future. But he's not going to get a better chance than at SFA, he's gonna have to go to a smaller program.

A tad confused. After four years of college ball, there isn't much future. Only one year eligibility left. He was going to be an end of the bench guy at SFA with our returning and incoming guards.
SFASawmillGuy
My apologize. For whatever reason I thought he was a lot newer than he was.

However it looks like we will have a very new Lumberjack squad this coming season.
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
Good to see Cajuste already on campus.
nacluth
Thanks. I couldn't figure out who that was.
LUMBERJACK2005
SFAXE93 said:

Hopefully this was the best clip of Nana from the day and not Cajuste, . Not good when a post player is lower with the ball than you as a guard when dribbling stationary like that.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
LUMBERJACK2005 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Hopefully this was the best clip of Nana from the day and not Cajuste, . Not good when a post player is lower with the ball than you as a guard when dribbling stationary like that.
A bit of knit-picking, seven months before the season??
No-look
Any buzz as to players were after? We have two or three to fill?
No-look
No-look
Bummer. Recruiting is got to hard on coaches
SFAXE93
So now even after you sign it's not a done deal. lol

It's going to get even harder to care about a program when it's a continuous revolving door.
nacluth
Wait what? He was probably going to be our main big and get tons of playing time. Good luck to him.
BigJack85
nacluth said:

Wait what? He was probably going to be our main big and get tons of playing time. Good luck to him.

sfa17
oh lord
No-look
nacluth said:

wonder if tons of money trumped tons of playing time?
Ljacks&Longnecks
Guess commitment and living up to one's word have become very old school values that don't seem to mean anything now days.
Jacks4460
Word means nothing..
BigJack85
Jacks4460 said:

Word means nothing..

Zero.
SFAJack_76
I'll just wait and see who is on the roster on opening day. Of course, they quit or get kicked off during the season, so ….

Not sure why anybody wants to be a college coach today.
No-look
SFAJack_76 said:

I'll just wait and see who is on the roster on opening day. Of course, they quit or get kicked off during the season, so ….

Not sure why anybody wants to be a college coach today.
It's got to be a nightmare right now
Jacks1989
So let me get this right. This young man signs with SFA to play basketball and then he backs out? Not only verbally commits but signs a contract. Did Coach Keller let him back out? SFA should be talking to the NCAA about this. What am I missing?
TallTexan
I'm not worried about it. We'll get the guys we need.

And Keller has a signed contract, but can leave tomorrow. I won't begrudge a college kid doing it.
SFAJack_76
Jacks1989 said:

So let me get this right. This young man signs with SFA to play basketball and then he backs out? Not only verbally commits but signs a contract. Did Coach Keller let him back out? SFA should be talking to the NCAA about this. What am I missing?
Perhaps he didn't back out. Perhaps Keller invited him to. Perhaps it was a mutual separation.

I don't know what happened, but if it wasn't right, better now than later.
nacluth
Coaches have always been predisposed to let guys out of their "contracts" than hold them to it. I'm not saying they don't try to keep them by convincing them this is the place for them, but you don't want a player that doesn't fully commit to being here.

Now with money being thrown around and immediate eligibility everywhere, it's become almost impossible to keep some players from thinking the grass is greener somewhere else.
BigJack85
John Feinstein (Notable Sports Writer) has an excellent op/ed ~ article that talks about NCAA restructuring. Or more appropriately, blowing up the ncaa and replacing it with an organization that has essentially 3 separate governess's (if that's a word).

One for football, that recognizes the vast difference in resources between say UT and UIW. Both universities function under the division 1 umbrella. How do you regulate universities with vastly different operations?

Another unit to govern basketball, while understanding that the 300 team division 1 unit is still governable, despite the difference in resources Under resourced schools can still be successful (see St Pete's) The goal would be retain much of what has made March Madness the most successful sports "event" in the country.

A third unit that governs all of the non-revenue sports. This will be difficult. Still, non-revenue sports (to me) are the most collegial of all. Few of these kids will pursue professional careers in beach volleyball or tennis. But so what. If you get a chance read the entire article. I have hope that if something like what Feinstein describes, comes to pass, college athletics could be better.
No-look
This one hurts. Wish him well
nacluth
Well boo.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well, disappointing but imagine he had a good relationship with Cox so that likely factored into choice. Out of our hands anyway like the whole portal thing.
TallTexan
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well, disappointing but imagine he had a good relationship with Cox so that likely factored into choice. Out of our hands anyway like the whole portal thing.

I had forgotten about Cox being there and was like why on earth would you join a team less likely to make the tourney.

That angle makes sense.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Just saw a post on FB that Dallas Cameron is returning to SFA as an assistant coach. Good add.
PurpleOut
Staff

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.