2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

106,158 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAXE93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
#PRESSU

SFAXE93
This team has been dubbed The Magnificent Seven!

nacluth
Was that Canete dressed out? I'm pretty sure he didn't use his COVID year.
SFAXE93
Probably needed an extra man for practice.
RedRiverLa
Lumberjack Battalion
Lumberjacks make great US Army Special Ops Officers - AxeEm!
No-look
Eleven days until first conference game. Hoping we get players back soon. Three of the first four is at home against top teams. Open up with ACU at home, then on road at UTA and then New Mexico State and GCU at home. If we win the home games we should be able to play with UTA… if we could come out of that stretch unscratched it would be a big positive. Need to win the home games.
nacluth
That's a tough start. Going 3-0 at home right now seems spectacular at this point.
PurpleOut
Staff
I'm not expecting to see Jaylin or Jalil until late January. You never know but hand/foot breaks normally take a while.

I'd assume it will be tougher for Jalil. Big man not being able to work out or get in any conditioning.

Guys with broken hands can at least get them wrapped and some drills in once mostly healed.
No-look
A new season is about to begin! We are currently undefeated in conference play. Forget about the rankings and seeding senecios. It's a new day! Just start a new win streak and keep it going. We can play with anybody in the WAC. AxeEm!
PurpleOut
Staff
I spy JJP no longer wearing a cast and dribbling.

nacluth
After the second game of the year, I didn't see how Cajuste would ever be anything except a backup to Posey. Man has AJ changed my mind, but I'm ready for them both to be out there.
Jacks1989
Record wise there looks to be a number of really good teams in the WAC this year. Who do y'all think is the toughest team going into WAC play.
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

Record wise there looks to be a number of really good teams in the WAC this year. Who do y'all think is the toughest team going into WAC play.
Lots of good teams but no one is tougher than the Jacks, especially if everyone can get healthy. The WAC champions could have three or four loses… Utah Valley, Seattle, New Mexico State and Grand Canyon are all solid teams. And Southern Utah looked good with the win over NMSU. Really no bad teams in the conference
nacluth
Jacks1989 said:

Currently Utah Valley is the best team. They are clicking on all cylinders. We'll see if they can sustain momentum, but right now they're the toughest to beat.

We only play them once. It's at their place. It's the last game of the season. Showdown.
SFAJack_76
Just win ….
No-look
A couple HUGE home games coming up next
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Some of these make no sense. Prison Tech gets manhandled by Utah Valley and their NET barely moves. NMSU has SEVEN losses and stiil has a decent NET rating.
SFAXE93
nacluth
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Some of these make no sense. Prison Tech gets manhandled by Utah Valley and their NET barely moves. NMSU has SEVEN losses and stiil has a decent NET rating.
Since it came out, the NET is a jacked up system early in the season. It seems to work its way out by the end of the season. The main problem as I have seen it is that it does a very poor job measuring SOS in the nonconference. Midmajor schools that play multiple P5 conference teams (like Sam) get an inordinate amount of bonus in the system.

It will work itself out, but there is a natural fear using the system that Sam's ridiculous starting point could keep them hypothetically with 6 losses above a different 4 loss team come WAC tournament time. But I really doubt this will be the case. They will start cratering soon.
Jacks1989
Juco Recruiting Top 100 just came out

#89 - Crishawn Christmas - Panola College
Honorable Mention - Clayton Southwick - Snow College

I think we have one more scholarship to give?

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2023-juco-top-100
No-look
Jacks1989 said:

Should be two more I think.
BigJack85
Jacks1989 said:

Southwick might give us some muscle at the 4 spot. Next year could be special.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
No-look
BigJack85 said:

Jacks1989 said:

looks solid but Coaches better go after another big to cover injuries
Jacks1989
Totally agree. We need another big.
BigJack85
No-look said:

BigJack85 said:

Jacks1989 said:

looks solid but Coaches better go after another big to cover injuries

If Beaubrun takes, that would give us 3 bigs.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
nacluth
Apropos of nothing, Jackson State beat Alcorn State by 1 point today.
PurpleOut
Staff
Outrageous right now.

nacluth
Of course, 3 games ago we were 11th. Just have to keep winning. My guess is that ultimately it's going to line up well with actual standings, but when it lines up with actual standings then it begs the question "why do it like this except for tiebreakers?"

PurpleOut
Staff
Yeah, and a ton of games left so it's going to continue to change. But just seeing us, and it could be anyone, sitting tied for 1st but seeded 6th...it just makes me question the overall system and wonder what it's going to look like in a few months.

In hindsight, while UVU beating BYU and Oregon is great for the conference overall, it's actually bad for us. Yeah it potentially helps the conference get a better NCAA seed, but it lowers the chance for US to actually get in the tournament. It forces us to be selfish.
nacluth
Yeah this speaks to something I haven't mentioned on here but thought once about starting a thread on: our nonconference schedule.

When it first came out, despite not having any P5 teams, I thought it may be one of our tougher schedules in years. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, and maybe that's just as good since we had so many injuries.

However, the teams we have beaten have continued to lose and the teams we lost to have done ok, but it's left our rankings depressed. In the future, we have to get P5 schools and hopefully multiple ones just to make our schedule attractive. Like you said, selfish.

I wish the resume seeding would just be used for tiebreakers, but for now, we just have to dominate game in and game out.
Jacks1989
I wonder if SFA is going to try to keep Sam and New Mexico St on the schedule next year. Would be great for non conference games.
SFASawmillGuy
Jacks1989 said:

I wonder if SFA is going to try to keep Sam and New Mexico St on the schedule next year. Would be great for non conference games.

Likely. Gonna suck to lose the home-home with Sam but it'll probably be like NWST and always an early year contest.
PurpleOut
Staff
Sam will likely be on all schedules, other than football.
TallTexan
We also have to consider the flukiness of this year's particular outcomes on this. The schools that won P5 games are unlikely to get many games scheduled again, due to the nature of high major scheduling.

The ones who can still schedule P5s, are unlikely to have such a good outcomes regularly going forward.

So the gap should be smaller in the future and still give a boost to the teams that win games across the entire year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.