2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

105,420 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PurpleOut said:

Sam will likely be on all schedules, other than football.
So, essentially all of the sports they rarely beat us in.
SFAXE93
SFA MEN RESUME

W LETOURNEAU 5-8; 2-4 (8th ASC)
W GARDNER-WEBB 7-8; 2-1 (2nd Big South) #158
L ALCORN STATE 3-10; 0-1 (8th SWAC) #271
W SOUTH DAKOTA STATE 7-9; 2-2 (5th Summit) #209
L QUINNIPIAC 11-5; 2-3 (6th MAAC) #134
L MIDDLE TENNESSEE 9-6; 2-2 (6th C-USA) #125
W NORTH CAROLINA (GREENSBORO) 9-7; 3-0 (1st SoCon) #138
L NORTHWESTERN STATE 8-7; 0-2 (WIN #15 TCU) (8th SLC) #214
W PAUL QUINN 5-4; 3-4 (5th RRA)
W LOUISIANA TECH 9-6; 2-2 (3rd C-USA) #147
L FURMAN 11-5; 2-1 (2nd SoCon) #142
W NORTH AMERICAN 3-13 (IND)
W JACKSON STATE 2-12; 1-0 (1st SWAC) (Beat Alcorn State) #313
W ABILENE CHRISTIAN 9-6; 1-1 (7th WAC) #218
W UT-ARLINGTON 5-11; 0-3 (8th WAC) #283
W NEW MEXICO STATE 7-8; 0-3 (11th WAC) #133
W GRAND CANYON 11-5; 2-1 (4th WAC) #95

#14 IN THE NATION IN THREE POINT PERCENTAGE (45.45%) LATRELL JOSSELL
#25 IN THE NATION IN THREE POINTERS A GAME (3) LATRELL JOSSELL

#6 IN THE NATION IN TURNOVERS FORCED PER GAME (19.25) SFA
#23 IN THE NATION IN STEALS PER GAME (9.2) SFA
#27 IN THE NATION IN ASSIST PER GAME (16.5) SFA
#31 IN THE NATION IN TURNOVER MARGIN (3.5) SFA
No-look
No-look said:

A new season is about to begin! We are currently undefeated in conference play. Forget about the rankings and seeding senecios. It's a new day! Just start a new win streak and keep it going. We can play with anybody in the WAC. AxeEm!
reflections
nacluth
Well nevermind. I just ran the numbers, and these are tentative based on average points for wins and losses, but if UVU loses 3 and Sam loses 4 conference games and SFA could go undefeated, SFA would still be behind them in seeding.

nacluth
But it works for the Ladyjacks too. They could have a three loss year and no one would catch them.
SFAXE93
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

But it works for the Ladyjacks too. They could have a three loss year and no one would catch them.

I think the gap is even bigger for the women (between 1st seed and 2nd).
Pilotgirl
Pilotgirl said:

nacluth said:

I think the gap is even bigger for the women (between 1st seed and 2nd).

SFAXE93
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93 said:

Now I'm obligated to go. I can never escape this picture. Lol
PurpleOut
Staff
SFASawmillGuy said:

SFAXE93 said:

Now I'm obligated to go. I can never escape this picture. Lol
Do it!

Seriously, try to get Isaac and guys from your age group to come. This is going to get built into a big annual party that should get bigger and bigger each year.
jboy93

Thought yall might want to know this. Thomas Hill is coaching at TJC (believe it or not). Guess how quick it took me to mention that I went to SFA! lol
djsfw57
jboy93 said:

Thought yall might want to know this. Thomas Hill is coaching at TJC (believe it or not). Guess how quick it took me to mention that I went to SFA! lol
I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that conversation. LOL
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAXE93
nacluth
Moved from Groundhog's Day.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth
I think that maybe we are the 18th best midmajor they follow but I'm shocked that we got such a high placement. I think it may speak to how well the WAC is doing this year than more about what we have accomplished so far.

In one month I expect more people will be taking notice.
wahlwesle
PurpleOut said:

5 spots behind prison tech.
SFAXE93
3 schools from the WAC, 0 from the SLC
Jacks1989
Last night I was watching the Kansas Oklahoma game. Announcers were talking about how the Big 12 was by far the best basketball conference. They said that the second best conference wasn't even close to the Big 12 in net ratings. So this fall the University of Houston, BYU, Cincinnati and UCF will be joining the Big 12. I would assume the Big 12 will be even stronger next year and the Net Rating will be even better. Hopefully we can get a Big 12 team on the schedule next year. Also since SFA has joined the UT System just maybe we can get Texas on the schedule.
Jacks1989
Panola College commit Crishawn Christmas played today.

17 points 20 Rebounds.

Looks like we got a good one.

https://www.panolaathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2022-23/boxscores/20230111_tk9b.xml?view=boxscore
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

17 points 20 Rebounds.

https://www.panolaathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2022-23/boxscores/20230111_tk9b.xml?view=boxscore

20 rebounds and stands only 6'5". Another Day Day Hall?
jboy93
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks1989 said:

17 points 20 Rebounds.

20 rebounds and stands only 6'5". Another Day Day Hall?
I'll try and make sure I get to the game when they come to Tyler next month. I can give a very limited scouting report! lol
CertifiedAxeman98
Looking at our rebounding stats made me wonder what happened to Murphy. He went to Australia to play basketball.

https://nwtasmania.nbl1.com.au/news/american-montavious-murphy-to-join-north-west-thunder-for-2023-season
SFA Jack Fanatic
CertifiedAxeman98 said:

Looking at our rebounding stats made me wonder what happened to Murphy. He went to Australia to play basketball.

https://nwtasmania.nbl1.com.au/news/american-montavious-murphy-to-join-north-west-thunder-for-2023-season

So, he's a Tasmanian devil now. Nice.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
SUU got more points for their home win over Sam, than we did our road win over Utah Tech.

Our double digit road win rewarded us the same amount of points (.56) as our home win vs GCU.

We again should have just been rooting for every WAC team to lose in non-conference play. I just don't see the reason that NET rankings is the primary factor to see teams in conference.

BUT, as long as we keep winning...we'll end up in the Top 4. We could win out and get the regular season championship...and get a Top 4 seed and a single bye (which is the same for all Top 4 teams, no double byes).
nacluth
Sam's ranking is still heavily outweighing their results and the results other teams have against them. Guess we'll have to be them at their house to get some real movement.
No-look
Not to sound negative but we most likely will lose two or three conference games. ( maybe road games). I don't see any team going undefeated in conference. And what will that do to our rankings? I hope we run the table but odds are we won't. Being short handed and not able to schedule P5 teams hurt us.
SFA88
The injuries hurt the most. Beating NAIA teams at home gets you nothing; don't schedule those games. Schedule low tier D1 teams and don't lose at home like they did to Alcorn State and NW State. What we need now is for every team the Lumberjacks have played to win (yeah I realize they will play each other). If Alcorn wins some games the loss won't hurt as much same with NW State. We want GCU to win all of their games until The Lumberjacks play them again in Phoenix.

It may come down to beating UVU in Orem.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Sam's ranking is still heavily outweighing their results and the results other teams have against them. Guess we'll have to be them at their house to get some real movement.
We also have to realize it's still really early. They've only lost 3 games. It's when they lost them that makes the formula seem egregious right now.

13-3 is still on the table for Sam. It's not likely, but it is. So 3 losses doesn't kill you on the formula.

Now if they're 4-6 and still ranked way up there, we should all be concerned.
No-look
SFA88
True, there is a lot of basketball still to be played. Utah still has to play USC twice, at Arizona at Arizona State, and home against UCLA. It's the same with Oklahoma. They still have some of their toughest games ahead of them. I doubt Sam continues to get .84 and .86 points respectively for those wins. Couple that with some losses and they will come down to earth.
No-look
ESPN matchup predictor has SFA at 13% to win against Sam
No-look
Any good games tomorrow?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.