2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

106,177 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
PurpleOut
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
Jacks1989 said:

Has Aku landed anywhere?
I believe I saw he's going to Grambling.
Pilotgirl
No-look said:

What does the job of Director of Basketball Operations consist of?

This was from our very first special guest, former SFA WBB DOBO, Kayla Scott. She is now Arizona's DOBO.
https://rss.com/podcasts/thewclub/404487/
Jacks1989
SFA Jack Fanatic
Very interesting stats! It's almost as if entering the portal is a semi-kiss of death.
Jacks1989
I agree. Practically half who entered are not going to play.

SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks1989 said:

Transfer Portal Stats

I can't help but wonder how many of these guys were "asked" to enter the portal, how many entered without being asked, how many were welcomed back with open arms to their original schools when they couldn't find another place to land, and how many regret that they entered the portal at all.
Keller told us at the Road Show in Houston that the only player he has had leave that he didn't want to leave was Holyfield. Yes, that includes Solomon.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Keller told us at the Road Show in Houston that the only player he has had leave that he didn't want to leave was Holyfield. Yes, that includes Solomon.

Wow. Surprising!!
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks1989 said:

Transfer Portal Stats

I can't help but wonder how many of these guys were "asked" to enter the portal, how many entered without being asked, how many were welcomed back with open arms to their original schools when they couldn't find another place to land, and how many regret that they entered the portal at all.

Wow. That's interesting. Solomon has potential. I expected him to be a key part of the starting lineup this year.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Jacks1989
Is Holyfield playing pro ball anywhere? Heck of a player.
No-look
Any word on hour the new recruits are doing? Any exceeding expectations?
SFAJack_76
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks1989 said:

Transfer Portal Stats

Wow. That's interesting. Solomon has potential. I expected him to be a key part of the starting lineup this year.
It's not just about basketball skills. Keller has very strong expectations about off the court actions and behaviors. Some kids struggle with that.
BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks1989 said:

Transfer Portal Stats

It's not just about basketball skills. Keller has very strong expectations about off the court actions and behaviors. Some kids struggle with that.

Gotcha.
No-look
Noticed several WAC teams have scheduled some big schools. Hoping we get a few
BigJack85
No-look said:

Noticed several WAC teams have scheduled some big schools. Hoping we get a few

Hoping. Praying. Doesn't sound likely. South Dakota St is probably the most notable opponent we'll face this season.
PurpleOut
Staff
South Dakota State will always be tough, even more so on the road. But they also lost a lot from last season. The two guys that killed us last year are gone (and their top 3 scorers overall).
No-look
Beating LSU, Baylor, Duke and a one possession game with two minutes against the current Champions scares opposing coaches.
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

Beating LSU, Baylor, Duke and a one possession game with two minutes against the current Champions scares opposing coaches.
Yep, and with the way games are weighed for Quad 1-4 and everything...it's getting more difficult each season.
No-look
And what if a team that has played a couple P6 schools close but we have a one game better record come WAC tourney time? Do they get the better seed?
PurpleOut
Staff
No-look said:

And what if a team that has played a couple P6 schools close but we have a one game better record come WAC tourney time? Do they get the better seed?
Probably.

Still doesn't seem 100% clear on the algorithm used for our tournament seeding, but based on the conversations I've had...it seems like losing against a P6 or mainly a ranked or high RPI team on the road, would end up being better than beating even a mid-level RPI program at home.

I'm not sure if anyone has a precise answer or idea.
PurpleOut
Staff
PurpleOut
Staff
FYI, I'm probably going to try to go to the Furman game. My mom actually went to school there and they have a great campus. I bet it will be awesome right before Christmas. Just wish the game wasn't off campus.
SFAXE93
The SFA basketball website has updated the roster. Not sure about some of the class placements.

SFA BASKETBALL (MEN) 2022-2023

C:#14 CADE WALKER 6-10 (FR.)
F:#12 JALIL BEAUBRUN 6-9 (FR.)
F:#22 NANA ANTWI-BOASIAKO 6-9 (SO.)
F:#23 MONTAVIOUS MURPHY 6-9 (FR.)
F:#3 SADAIDRIENE HALL 6-5 (SO.)
G:#1 DERRICK TEZENO 6-5 (SO.)
G:#4 KYLE HAYMAN 6-5 (FR.)
G:#15 ROBBIE ARMBRESTER 6-4 (FR.)
G:#0 NIGEL HAWKINS 6-4 (SR.)
G:#2 ROTI WARE 6-3 (G/SR.)
G:#5 JAYLIN JACKSON-POSEY 6-2 (SO.)
G:#21 RUSSELL HYMAN 6-1 (JR.)
G:#13 AJ CAJUSTE 6-1 (FR.)
G:#10 LATRELL JOSSELL 5-11 (SO.)
No-look
I'm assuming Cade and Russell are non scholarship? And assuming DaeVeon Scott isn't on campus yet?
SFAXE93
We used to get games like this

Jacks1989
Hopefully they will land us a big game this year. Would really like to see us play Illinois.
SFAXE93
SFA Jack Fanatic
The publicity guy has been posting some crazy stuff recently. He definitely has a different approach.
SFASawmillGuy
SFAXE93
Nice to see him out on the court again!

Man, if Walkup was on the roster, it would be Final Four at least for this team
SFASawmillGuy
He was good enough he could have legitimately started for any team in the country. I'm still shocked he never got a real nba look.
SFA88
SFASawmillGuy said:

He was good enough he could have legitimately started for any team in the country. I'm still shocked he never got a real nba look.

I love the guy, but I disagree. He wasn't good enough and he definitely could not play for any team in the league. As I recall, he got a shot with the Bulls. I know this sounds harsh, but I don't want to look at things with my purple colored glasses on.
nacluth
You're right in that he probably couldn't have started for any NBA team when he got out of college, however Walkup has put in the work overseas and is a star now. He could legitimately get playing time in the states now if someone would take a chance on him (if he even wants it). He's making a pretty good living doing his thing in Europe.
SFASawmillGuy
I didn't mean league, I meant college basketball. Defensively he was and is still a beast. He did play in the G-League and played pretty well, but got a contract to play overseas from there.
But with how well he's dominated overseas I'm just surprised no one has come calling. He would be a great 6th man.
SFA88
Yeah, your probably right on that, even if he is an end-of-the-bench guy. I can see him as one of those guys fans love.

If I think about it a little more, he might have been able to play for my favorite team, the Suns, 6 years ago. Before two years ago, they spent a decade being atrocious (don't get me started on how much fans HATE Robert Sarver). As it is, the Suns have Ish Wainwright, from Baylor, on their team. He and Walkup have traveled similar paths from D-league to Europe. Suns promoted Ish from a two way to a full contract for the playoffs and cut guys to do it. They recently signed him to another two way for this season. Fans love Ish. You made good points and I can see Walkup being that guy for a team.
Jacks1989
Earlier this summer there was a pic with Tezeno in a boot. Any updates on his status?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.