2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

103,698 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
Jacks1989
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Losing Calvin sucks. I wonder if the Jacks will look at AJ Cajuste teammate at Indian River, Bendji Pierre. Listed Num 30 in Juco Recruiting Top 100. 6'8", 16.4 pts/g, 8.5 reb/g
nacluth
Right now we have to be looking under ever rock. Well every rock that can hide a 6' 9"+ forward.
No-look
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Nana and four guards … suboptimal.

Understatement of the century. Yikes. Right now our roster looks like a bunch 1,2,3 guys and Hall as our power forward. Great guy. Exceptional. Is going to need more than Nana to help.
I'm betting help is on the way!
BigJack85
No-look said:

BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Nana and four guards … suboptimal.

Understatement of the century. Yikes. Right now our roster looks like a bunch 1,2,3 guys and Hall as our power forward. Great guy. Exceptional. Is going to need more than Nana to help.
I'm betting help is on the way!

You're right. I'm on board.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Calvin and Stephanie on the same day?!?! Need to go back to bed and start over....
PurpleOut
Staff
I have no problem saying Calvin could have easily worked himself into a POY type player next season. I think he's that big of a loss.

(if he does indeed find a new home)
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

I have no problem saying Calvin could have easily worked himself into a POY type player next season. I think he's that big of a loss.

(if he does indeed find a new home)
. Ya. Who says that he "definitely" leaves. I know it's a likelihood. But who knows. I'm guessing we end up with a late 2-3 additional juco haul Bigs.
SFASawmillGuy
This is gonna be probably the biggest year of Keller's career. Many "way too early" predictions have us as the middle of the pack team in the WAC and not having a good year at all. With Calvin taking off as well, Kyle and staff will need to be hot on the recruiting trail for transfers who are ready to win right now.

The past two seasons were supposed to be the greatest in SFA history, but Covid derailed one and injuries derailed the other. I almost feel like 2022-2023 is the year SFA needs keep the "Dynasty" momentum going.

Let's not forget SFA being a nationally relevant "basketball school" is relatively new. We need to keep it going.
SFAJack_76
SFASawmillGuy said:

This is gonna be probably the biggest year of Keller's career. Many "way too early" predictions have us as the middle of the pack team in the WAC and not having a good year at all. With Calvin taking off as well, Kyle and staff will need to be hot on the recruiting trail for transfers who are ready to win right now.

The past two seasons were supposed to be the greatest in SFA history, but Covid derailed one and injuries derailed the other. I almost feel like 2022-2023 is the year SFA needs keep the "Dynasty" momentum going.

Let's not forget SFA being a nationally relevant "basketball school" is relatively new. We need to keep it going.
Agree with this. Is the window for Keller to get the big job closing? Some of the best facilities anywhere have to translate to NCAA success. He needs a class like the Johnson, Kachelries, Kensmil, Ware class in terms of quality. With or without Solomon, needs two Kensmil types. Guys that are ready to play.

April 13 - May 18.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFASawmillGuy said:

Many "way too early" predictions have us as the middle of the pack team in the WAC and not having a good year at all.

Where have you seen this? I follow the WAC closely and have not.
wahlwesle
I can't ruthfully say I'm not a little worried, but we've been here with our bigs before. Only a few years ago did we add Calvin, Charlie, and Gavin all at the same time. There will be lots of options.
CertifiedAxeman98
You have a coach who last year and this year is looking for another job. Last year all the assistant coaches left and one of them was a great big man developer (Cox). You have not been in the NCAA tourney yet and based on strength of the WAC and the loss of some key players that graduated it will be tough to win the conference next year. Solomon learned to shoot free throws last year and played really well. There will be a school out there that will be looking for someone that can rebound and block shots like him.
No-look
If we can get a couple quality bigs I like our chances next year. A lot of the best players in the WAC have entered the transfer pool or graduated
BigJack85
No-look said:

If we can get a couple quality bigs I like our chances next year. A lot of the best players in the WAC have entered the transfer pool or graduated

Ya. It's going to take 2 quality bigs. One of them needs to play a little defense. Lot of focus on Nana right now. Hope he develops.
TallTexan
BigJack85 said:

No-look said:

Ya. It's going to take 2 quality bigs. One of them needs to play a little defense. Lot of focus on Nana right now. Hope he develops.
I think Nana will turn out fine, especially if we get some sets to stretch the floor with his 3 point shot.

He'll be hitting his junior season, and it takes time to develop the strength and technique down low.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Two names that many on here are forgetting about and/or are underestimating their value are Peyton Daniels and Derrick Tezeno.

Daniels was one of the highest-rated and most heavily-recruited PG's in the country coming out of high school in Georgia. He went into Vandy's doghouse over some unknown situation, and that made him decide to transfer. I think he's going to make huge contributions at PG. Who knows? He may eventually be the starting PG ahead of the returning guys.

At times this season, Tezeno showed signs of being the player we thought he'd be coming out of Louisiana as the #1 player in that state. He's 6'5" but plays much bigger, and he can leap like a gazelle. There will be times when he may be forced to become one of our "big men" when the Jacks go small.
nacluth
#1 player in the state? Where did that info come from?

Tezeno can develop into a solid player, but he definitely has some skill growth ahead of him. Hopefully Daniels will come out full of promise.
PurpleOut
Staff
nacluth said:

Tezeno can develop into a solid player, but he definitely has some skill growth ahead of him. Hopefully Daniels will come out full of promise.
It was Prep Hoops or one of those (so many) that had him at #1. He's from 1A school, so some recruiting services viewed it differently.
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Two names that many on here are forgetting about and/or are underestimating their value are Peyton Daniels and Derrick Tezeno.

Daniels was one of the highest-rated and most heavily-recruited PG's in the country coming out of high school in Georgia. He went into Vandy's doghouse over some unknown situation, and that made him decide to transfer. I think he's going to make huge contributions at PG. Who knows? He may eventually be the starting PG ahead of the returning guys.

At times this season, Tezeno showed signs of being the player we thought he'd be coming out of Louisiana as the #1 player in that state. He's 6'5" but plays much bigger, and he can leap like a gazelle. There will be times when he may be forced to become one of our "big men" when the Jacks go small.

I agree 100%. I watched Tezeno closely He has a ton of upside. I see him as the small forward in our rotation. Perhaps Murphy plays the 4 spot. Doesn't matter all that much because Keller plays a unique system. We need a rim defender. Maybe Nana develops. Maybe.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

Several Louisiana HS scouting combines said so after his senior year.
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

We need a rim defender. Maybe Nana develops. Maybe.

I have to go a bit negative on Nana. I can't see him as being more than a backup big man. Not aggressive enough, IMO.
No-look
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

As far as point guards are concerned let's not forget about the First Team all American juco that's signing tomorrow
BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

BigJack85 said:

We need a rim defender. Maybe Nana develops. Maybe.

I have to go a bit negative on Nana. I can't see him as being more than a backup big man. Not aggressive enough, IMO.

Hopefully, with maturity he gets a little more aggressive.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

As far as point guards are concerned let's not forget about the First Team all American juco that's signing tomorrow

Oh, we haven't forgotten. I think he'll be more of a shooting guard though.
BigJack85
If Solomon doesn't get an offer that he likes……. Wow. Here's to dreaming big.
No-look
PurpleOut
Staff
What the hell?
BigJack85
PurpleOut said:

What the hell?

Maybe that's why we are recruiting guards , still. UGH.
Jacks1989
How many times can you enter the portal? I thought only once.
SFA Jack Fanatic
No-look said:

Well crap! (Pardon my French.)
Jyank24
Glad he realized the fit wasnt there before he was an integral part of the team. Might of been good, but hopefully Keller is building a team of Men that WANT to be at SFA.

nacluth
With Solomon and Daniels gone the team just got a lot younger.
SFA Jack Fanatic
nacluth said:

I'm tempted to say that we're building a team for the long term, but with the dadgum portal there may no longer be such a thing as "long term".
BigJack85
nacluth said:

For sure. Although, Roti, JJP and Day Hall aren't bad pieces to build around. AJ should be an immediate contributor.
Jacks1989
Yes we have had 2 to hit the portal but I am still excited about next year. The coaches will bring in at least 2 more studs and we will move on. Really fired up about the transfer from K State.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.