2022-2023 Lumberjack Basketball

103,704 Views | 855 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BigJack85
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I had no idea....
PurpleOut
Staff
I can't remember, did they not show any of the ceremony from the Kansas game? It was definitely a pretty special celebration for Keller, the tribe, and you could see it with the Kansas crowd. KU had a Native American cheerleader that was also celebrated, it was pretty cool.
PurpleOut
Staff
Somewhat off topic, but Kevon and Walkup will both be at the basketball camp next week. Pretty cool.

I'm taking my son, so I might be more excited than he is now.
SFAJack_76
No-look said:

Back to the repetitive question. Are we gonna fill that last scholarship spot? Did we give it to a walk on? Who would know this trivia question? And what do we know about Cade (walk on). Play high school ball?

BigJack85
SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Back to the repetitive question. Are we gonna fill that last scholarship spot? Did we give it to a walk on? Who would know this trivia question? And what do we know about Cade (walk on). Play high school ball?

Pretty serious guy. Didn't crack much of a smile. He looks to be 6'8" or so. Does anyone have the story on him?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
BigJack85 said:

SFAJack_76 said:

No-look said:

Pretty serious guy. Didn't crack much of a smile. He looks to be 6'8" or so. Does anyone have the story on him?

He's 6'10". What little I've found on him in the interwebs shows that he was a dominant player at Avinger, a Class A school, as you would expect for a guy that size. Was UIL Class A All-Region as a senior. Do we know if he's a walk-on or on scholarship?
Jacks1989
Glad we finally got some information on Cade. Avinger is a small town north of Longview.
SFAXE93
Oh wow little ole Avinger, Texas, near the Arkansas border, home of the 5D Cattle Company Steak House (just ate there last night) and the Avinger Indians.

I grew up near Avinger, it's just a small rural area town, less than 300 people, but they eat, sleep, and drink basketball there.

They won the 1996 Class A State Championship and proudly display this title and love to talk about it.

That little town always seems to have a strong team.

Avinger went 27-6; 12-0 for the 2021-22 school year, losing in the second round of the playoffs in OT to Perrin-Whitt.

C: CADE WALKER 6-10; 215 Avinger, Texas (Avinger)

- 1st Team All-State (1A Region III)
- Scored 40 points and grabbed 11 rebounds against S. Bluff

Northeast Texas representing!
SFASawmillGuy
Sometimes these 1A schools have some hidden talent that never gets recruited. Glad Keller was able to find him.
Jacks1989
Looks like an upgrade over Aku. Wonder if he is a walk-on or scholarship player?
Jacks1989
No-look
SFAXE93 said:

Oh wow little ole Avinger, Texas, near the Arkansas border, home of the 5D Cattle Company Steak House (just ate there last night) and the Avinger Indians.

I grew up near Avinger, it's just a small rural area town, less than 300 people, but they eat, sleep, and drink basketball there.

They won the 1996 Class A State Championship and proudly display this title and love to talk about it.

That little town always seems to have a strong team.

Avinger went 27-6; 12-0 for the 2021-22 school year, losing in the second round of the playoffs in OT to Perrin-Whitt.

C: CADE WALKER 6-10; 215 Avinger, Texas (Avinger)

- 1st Team All-State (1A Region III)
- Scored 40 points and grabbed 11 rebounds against S. Bluff

Northeast Texas representing!
Coach Ken Lloyd won a state championship at Huntington in 1974. Went to Avinger and won another in the seventies if my memory serves me correctly
SFA Jack Fanatic

He's a project with lots to learn. He won't be playing guys that are a foot shorter and not very athletic. But he'll be a good practice opponent while he learns college level hoops and muscles up.
No-look
Definitely has potential. Weights and banging with some big boys and he could mature. Especially being a freshman.
SFAXE93
We have some bigs!

C:#00 CADE WALKER 6-10 (FR.)
F:#00 JALIL BEAUBRUN 6-9 (JR.)
F:#22 NANA ANTWI-BOASIAKO 6-9 (SO.)
F:#00 MONTAVIOUS MURPHY 6-9 (SO.)
PurpleOut
Staff
He's a walk-on.
No-look
PurpleOut said:

He's a walk-on.
Do we actually have a scholarship left?
PurpleOut
Staff
SFAXE93
LUMBERJACK2005
Jacks1989 said:

Looks like an upgrade over Aku. Wonder if he is a walk-on or scholarship player?
Based off his highlights vs. 1A competition? Lol. No offense to the young man, but this kid won't see a minute of meaningful action.
SFASawmillGuy
He's gonna be in shape though. Some 1A teams have 1 or 2 players on the bench. I'd be willing to bet he was subbed out of games for 1-3 minutes in total each game.
SFAXE93
And not to mention Avinger does play 3A and 4A schools that have deeper benches.
Jacks1989
I will stand by what I said. Aku played 1 year at ATM and 1 year with the Jacks. This year he probably played in a total of 10 games. Played 2 to 3 minutes a game. In those minutes he would typically have 2 fouls and a turnover. I bet the young man from Avinger can do better than that. Maybe it's not the upgrade you want but he did something to get the coaches attention. I'm rooting for Big Cade!
djsfw57
SFAXE93 said:

Again 9 on the road and 3 at home for the men too? Who in the hell made this schedule?
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
I think you're misinterpreting the video.

"vs/@" means we play that team twice, once at home and once on the road.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I think you're misinterpreting the video.

"vs/@" means we play that team twice, once at home and once on the road.
Thank you for clearing that up. I was completely flabbergasted that we would only have 3 conference games at home. Glad that is not the case.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAXE93
PurpleOut
Staff
Great time in Nac this week. I'm a little sad now, knowing the season is still a ways off. But I'll say that I think we have a lot to be excited for. We've got some really good kids, that have been working extremely hard and want to win. And I think that will show.

The guys were awesome with the kids, especially the little guys like my son.

Had fun visiting with Thomas and Kevon.

Jacks1989
Transfer Portal Stats

djsfw57
Is it almost basketball season yet? Baseball is boring me to death.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

Transfer Portal Stats

I can't help but wonder how many of these guys were "asked" to enter the portal, how many entered without being asked, how many were welcomed back with open arms to their original schools when they couldn't find another place to land, and how many regret that they entered the portal at all.
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Jacks1989 said:

Transfer Portal Stats

I can't help but wonder how many of these guys were "asked" to enter the portal, how many entered without being asked, how many were welcomed back with open arms to their original schools when they couldn't find another place to land, and how many regret that they entered the portal at all.
I'd be interested in knowing the answers as well. I'm surprised that many have been left in limbo. I'm very surprised at these numbers.
SFA, Class of 1979
Jacks1989
I bet most of these kids that are in limbo regret there decision. I wonder how many of these kids will graduate from college now. I bet going forward most kids that go in the portal will have a firm commitment from another school. Calvin Soloman did it the right way. He probably wasn't in the portal 2 days.

Has Aku landed anywhere?
SFAXE93
Wow, those numbers are amazing, and this will probably take some luster off of entering the portal for future players.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Jacks1989 said:

I bet going forward most kids that go in the portal will have a firm commitment from another school.
Exactly!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.