2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

41,594 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Finau had surgery on her foot after the game on Monday. She wanted to be there to support the team. Out eight to ten weeks, hopefully, is also what I heard. Bishop said she could be a significant contributor.

When introducing themselves, several of the girls said their favorite thing about Nacogdoches was the gym. These girls love to hoop. I hope people get behind them and show up. Starting with the Liberty game on Friday.
jboy93
Anyone not using their Liberty tickets tomorrow?
SFAJack_76
Pilotgirl
Well deserved!

SFA Jack Fanatic
UT's women will be playing at UTRGV tonight. Texas can play at UTRVG but not at SFA?? I wonder what they are afraid of??? (We all know.)
SFAJack_76
djsfw57
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

UT's women will be playing at UTRGV tonight. Texas can play at UTRVG but not at SFA?? I wonder what they are afraid of??? (We all know.)
Apparently they can't get past us beating them when they were defending national champs. I think it's been long enough.
SFA, Class of 1979
nacluth
Now that the Ladyjacks have finished their D1 nonconference slate (still have a Saturday tilt against UNT-Dallas), I thought it might be a good time to show some love for what Bishop has done the first half of the season.

He took a team that lost its top 4 players, had to recruit basically a whole new team, and was able to put out a quality team. This is very hard to do in women's college basketball.

We're 2-0 in WAC play. Took Alabama and Liberty to the brink. Beat Rice and UNT. Sure we've had some stinkers too, but I don't know how anyone could look at this team and wouldn't say that they have overperformed. I'm not saying he's winning the WAC year one, but he has a team that could compete for it.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Now that the Ladyjacks have finished their D1 nonconference slate (still have a Saturday tilt against UNT-Dallas), I thought it might be a good time to show some love for what Bishop has done the first half of the season.

He took a team that lost its top 4 players, had to recruit basically a whole new team, and was able to put out a quality team. This is very hard to do in women's college basketball.

We're 2-0 in WAC play. Took Alabama and Liberty to the brink. Beat Rice and UNT. Sure we've had some stinkers too, but I don't know how anyone could look at this team and wouldn't say that they have overperformed. I'm not saying he's winning the WAC year one, but he has a team that could compete for it.

I really enjoy watching him coach and watching the team pull together. They've got some guts.
nacluth
Ladyjacks struggling with their defense against Utah Tech. Allowing lots of wide open shots.

Also, UT's zone is frustrating the Ladyjacks' offense. We're shooting a million low percentage jumpers and floaters.

SFA hangs on for a first half lead 34-33.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Utah Tech loves their threes. Gillen was the preseason POY, but she hasn't been anything special so far. (Now that I've said that, watch her explode in the 2nd half. ) UTU has two RS soph Warren sisters that appear to be their best players.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ladyjacks lead Southern Utah 34-27 at the half in front of an empty WJC on this Saturday afternoon.

SFA goes on to win 68-53. Next stop Seattle
SFAJack_76
Good to see Finau get on the court for her first minutes of the season. All 12 eligible players got on the court.

Attendance 1,116.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

Good to see Finau get on the court for her first minutes of the season. All 12 eligible players got on the court.

Attendance 1,116.

Mele looked pretty darned good, too. She's going to be a great asset off the bench the rest of the way.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Ha ha. Unless the crowd was dressed as empty seats there is no way that over 1100 folks were there.
djsfw57
Abilene Christian beat California Baptist today in OT 96-93.
SFA, Class of 1979
SFAJack_76
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Ha ha. Unless the crowd was dressed as empty seats there is no way that over 1100 folks were there.
Since you are calling out the integrity of the athletic department, I encourage you to talk directly to Ryan Ivey.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well, didn't realize that "announced" attendance was such hallowed ground.

If I make it to Nac next week as I hope for the men vs GCU and CBU, I'll be more than happy to visit with Ivey about how announced attendance is calculated. If he tells me that attendance is bodies in the building then I will take him at his word. If it includes season ticket holders that may or may not have been there that day then I will maintain my stance.......the casual observation and opinion of a mere layperson.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well, didn't realize that "announced" attendance was such hallowed ground.

If I make it to Nac next week as I hope for the men vs GCU and CBU, I'll be more than happy to visit with Ivey about how announced attendance is calculated. If he tells me that attendance is bodies in the building then I will take him at his word. If it includes season ticket holders that may or may not have been there that day then I will maintain my stance.......the casual observation and opinion of a mere layperson.

I measure attendance, based on the theory of relativity. Every attendance figure in the WAC is flexed a little. I Watcha ton of ESPN +. Then compare with the box score/attendance. The only schools that consistently have bigger crowds are: CBU and GCU. And that not just looking at the #. So, all that being said the 600 listed for a SUU WBB home game was probably more like 350. Much the same as our 1100 is probably 750.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I rarely pay attention to the attendance of a particular game. In this case, at halftime the camera view from the SE corner of WJC caught the stands behind the benches and the GA area behind the north basket. There were not 50 people visible in the frame. I had earlier alluded to an empty WJC while posting the halftime score.
Later, 76 posted the "attendance" in the thread. So I remarked basically 1100 people/ no way.
Apparently didn't go over well in some circles.

With all the problems in the world....not the hill I'm prepared to die on. So to borrow from Chief Joseph--
I will post no more of attendance forever.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ah, go ahead, L&L. That argument makes for a great time-killer.
djsfw57
SFA beat GCU tonight 59-54. GCU was undefeated in conference and 16-3 overall. Ladyjacks found what they needed to knock them off!
SFA, Class of 1979
SFA88
djsfw57 said:

SFA beat GCU tonight 59-54. GCU was undefeated in conference and 16-3 overall. Ladyjacks found what they needed to knock them off!
That was with GCU shutting down Harden. I'm sure they thought shutting down the Ladyjacks best player would be the key to the win. That was a weird game. Neither team could shoot the ball into the ocean. They missed easy layups right under the basket. It's unusual to see BOTH teams do that at the same time. Does anyone have an idea what the heck Harden was doing laying around under the basket only to get up and act like nothing was wrong? She ended up with a flopping call and it was a bad look all around. The Ladyjacks had to run down to the other end of the court without her.

BTW, I think GCU ends up 3rd behind both SFA and CBU.
djsfw57
SFA88 said:

djsfw57 said:

That was with GCU shutting down Harden. I'm sure they thought shutting down the Ladyjacks best player would be the key to the win. That was a weird game. Neither team could shoot the ball into the ocean. They missed easy layups right under the basket. It's unusual to see BOTH teams do that at the same time. Does anyone have an idea what the heck Harden was doing laying around under the basket only to get up and act like nothing was wrong? She ended up with a flopping call and it was a bad look all around. The Ladyjacks had to run down to the other end of the court without her.

BTW, I think GCU ends up 3rd behind both SFA and CBU.
It was a very odd game. As you said, both teams had terrible shooting nights. It seemed like there was a period of about 30 minutes where no one scored. Of course it wasn't that long, but it felt like forever. Glad GCU was having an off night as well.
SFA, Class of 1979
nacluth
CBU 126 NET, SFA 152. Let's see if we can even things up!
BigJack85
nacluth said:

CBU 126 NET, SFA 152. Let's see if we can even things up!

More than men, the Ladyjacks seem to be a team that occasionally "over perform". And they seem to be growing into Bishops system.
nacluth
Interesting watching the Tarleton coach wanting to ream out his tall #1 but he has to use an interpreter to talk to her.
nacluth
21-14 Tarleton after 1. Ladyjacks decided that defense was optional for the first 10 minutes. Missed 6 shots from 5'. Time to start playing our brand of ball.
nacluth
37-36 Tarleton at half. Difference was Zoe's technical for taunting. Better play in the second but giving up lots of uncontested 10' jumpers.
SFA Jack Fanatic
What happened to Mimi Gatewood? Injured? She hasn't played in quite a while. Did I miss something??
nacluth
Harden gets a technical for being upset and walking away from a bad call. Coach was incensed that she gets a foul for showing disdain.

Don't know about Gatewood. She was hitting shots in warmup, but hasn't been called on.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Our streaming announcer's favorite buzzwords... "momentum", "one possession game".
nacluth
49-45 SFA after 3 quarters. Wearing them down but we can't get caught up in the silly foul calls and the chippiness. Just play and we win.
nacluth
Ladyjacks win 73-62! They cruised away from a bad team.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Have to say I'm not a fan of the pouting and the technicals. All the calls are not going to go our way. Players know this is part of the game. The constant complaining , mad face, pouting is Not a good look.
Certainly hope this is not going to become a fixture of Ladyjack basketball.

Swagger is one thing, Confidence is one thing, Aggressive play is one thing---Anger and complaining after every foul call should not be part of the game or in any way encouraged. Keeping one's temper in check is also something that can be controlled.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.