2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

40,838 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Pilotgirl
jboy93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
West Virginia's current AD was Kellogg's AD at NW Missouri State...
SFAXE93
jboy93 said:

Bingo!
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

If Bishop goes with Kellogg, I think Alvidrez would be a great fit. She still has a relationship with some of the older players coming back!

I had not thought about her. She was a valuable part of Kellogg's staff before she left. But we have so many younger players that don't know anything about her. I'm sure she'll apply for the job.

And, bite your tongue about what that little bird told you, jboy!
SFA Jack Fanatic
jboy93 said:

Aha! Now we know.
TallTexan
I'd also consider Trenia Tillis Hoard a strong candidate. JUCO national champion, currently coaching with one of the Team USA junior teams, prior high major experience.

jboy93
TallTexan said:

I'd also consider Trenia Tillis Hoard a strong candidate. JUCO national champion, currently coaching with one of the Team USA junior teams, prior high major experience.

I work with Trenia and talked to her a few days ago before this came up. She said she is happy at TJC and retirement is not too far away. Her daughter will be a junior at Legacy and is quite the player as well.
SFAJack_76
I'm baffled by people that don't think that Ivey should go through the hiring process to get the best possible HC.

Ivey quote in a story in the Nacogdoches Dailey Sentinel.

"I promise you, my phone has been blowing off the hook and there have been a lot of people who are certainly interested in this very high profile job. I tell people this is the seventh winningest program in the history of women's college basketball. When you think about the women's coaches who have gone through this program, from Sue Gunter to Gary Blair to Brandon Schneider to Mark Kellogg now and those that have come between. There have been several coaches that have done really, really well here, giants of women's basketball. I don't think there's any question that people are interested in this position."

This hire is a big deal for SFA. Ivey understands the need to get on with it while, "I always subscribe to the John Wooden philosophy of 'Be quick but don't hurry." "… but ultimately, we've got to make sure we do it the right way and we get the right coach. We'll make sure we go through this process."

TallTexan
I think we all agree that this hire is very important. But Kellogg's name has been in contention for major jobs for atleast 2 weeks.

Ivey had a list made and ready well before his phone started ringing.

As good of a job as it is, many coaches are not taking a paycut for it, so that rules out plenty of folks. Especially a lot of high major assistants who'd rather hop to a losing P5 job rather than put in their time at SFA.

Meanwhile, we've got two very good candidates with SFA ties, one of who is on staff and can keep a very talented core together. They helped rebuild SFA over 8 years to something that is once again a leader in WBB.

So I hope Ivey's been going through the process and kicking tires for two weeks.

All we're asking is not to drag it out and hoping that our guy is our guy, bc he's gonna be a damn good coach somewhere, so why not here?
Pilotgirl
TallTexan said:

I think we all agree that this hire is very important. But Kellogg's name has been in contention for major jobs for atleast 2 weeks.

As good of a job as it is, many coaches are not taking a paycut for it, so that rules out plenty of folks. Especially a lot of high major assistants who'd rather hop to a losing P5 job rather than put in their time at SFA.

Meanwhile, we've got two very good candidates with SFA ties, one of who is on staff and can keep a very talented core together. They helped rebuild SFA over 8 years to something that is once again a leader in WBB.

So I hope Ivey's been going through the process and kicking tires for two weeks.

All we're asking is not to drag it out and hoping that our guy is our guy, bc he's gonna be a damn good coach somewhere, so why not here?

THIS x 1000
SFA Jack Fanatic
TallTexan said:

I agree with the Texan. Sure, there are certainly some nice names who will apply for the job, but there are intangibles at play, too. Spending almost a decade waiting for your turn to head up a winning program. Great relationships with the returning players. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of returning players (if you've ever watched practices or pre-game warmups, who's out there getting his hands dirty? Yeah. That guy) . Intimate knowledge of the existing successful system, which would not require starting from scratch with another. Years and years of recruiting and evaluating potential recruits alongside Kellogg in high schools in Texas and around the country, and at AAU tournaments. Relationships developed with dozens, if not hundreds, of high school coaches near and far.

Hmm.. Does anyone around already have any of those qualities and intangibles?
Pilotgirl
Yup...name rhymes with Crishup.
djsfw57
TallTexan said:

And she was a Ladyjack star!!
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

TallTexan said:

I agree with the Texan. Sure, there are certainly some nice names who will apply for the job, but there are intangibles at play, too. Spending almost a decade waiting for your turn to head up a winning program. Great relationships with the returning players. Knowing the strengths and weaknesses of returning players (if you've ever watched practices or pre-game warmups, who's out there getting his hands dirty? Yeah. That guy) . Intimate knowledge of the existing successful system, which would not require starting from scratch with another. Years and years of recruiting and evaluating potential recruits alongside Kellogg in high schools in Texas and around the country, and at AAU tournaments. Relationships developed with dozens, if not hundreds, of high school coaches near and far.

Hmm.. Does anyone around already have any of those qualities and intangibles?

Agreed. Len has a lot of intangibles. I looked around at our local stalwarts(UT & LSU) and their coaching staffs.

The main person who I think that has the experience that would match what we have in Len is Texas AHC Elena Lavoto. She's got JUCO experience at TVCC as HC, has been a long time assistant of Schaefer, played at West Texas A&M.

The biggest differentiator to me is that JUCO HC experience nearly a decade ago.

If we're going to pass on Len, that's the only type of background that I think could match the intangibles plus experience that he has.

Though I'd imagine we might be looking at a far shorter tenure with her.

Just my two cents. But unless Geno is wanting to retire to Nac, I think Len is as sure a bet as any. He's our guy.
SFAXE93
I wonder if Deneen Parker will get an interview for the job?
jboy93
SFAXE93 said:

She is currently at SMU?
SFAXE93
jboy93 said:

SFAXE93 said:

She is currently at SMU?
Yes, associate head coach.
Pilotgirl
I forgot about Parker!
Ljacks&Longnecks
Bishop has complete knowledge of our current system, already recruits for SFA, and would bring a sense of continuity while making his own tweaks to make the system his own.
Ivey will do the hiring and make his own decision . The peanut gallery here will not be consulted. I want the best possible person hired as do all here.
Just dont overlook the talent in your own backyard.
SFAXE93
djsfw57
SFAXE93 said:

Another former Ladyjack star!
SFAXE93
djsfw57 said:

SFAXE93 said:

Another former Ladyjack star!
Yep, class of 1993
Pilotgirl
Kelloggs introductory presser at WVU got me crying ....I wish him the best! Now, let's lock in our person and get excited for the next chapter in Ladyjack WBB!!
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Kelloggs introductory presser at WVU got me crying ....I wish him the best! Now, let's lock in our person and get excited for the next chapter in Ladyjack WBB!!

Hopefully, we keep most of them!
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
At Kellogg's WVU introduction he was asked if he would be bringing any of his SFA staff with him or getting staffers from elsewhere. He was noncommittal since he really hasn't had time to think about it, but in short, he insinuated 'maybe both' (an obvious response under the circumstances).
EPE
UTEP's coach (CUSA COY) resigned today. He mentioned he wanted to get back close to his family; he's from Lufkin
TallTexan
EPE said:

UTEP's coach (CUSA COY) resigned today. He mentioned he wanted to get back close to his family; he's from Lufkin

His pre UTEP record suggest he's a pretty good coach, but I think everyone would have a right to be disappointed if we hired a coach who's D1 experience culminated in 17 wins in his best year.

Maybe a good option for an assistant though.
PurpleOut
Staff
EPE said:

He's also a SFA alum.
SFAXE93
KEVIN BAKER (SFA 1994)

He has done a pretty good job at building up or sustaining programs.

1998-99 Palestine HS 18-13
1999-00 Palestine HS 29-4 * School Record

2000-01 Nacogdoches HS 5-22
2001-02 Nacogdoches HS 19-13
2002-03 Nacogdoches HS 30-4 * School Record

2003-04 Copperas Cove HS 24-10
2004-05 Copperas Cove HS 24-10
2005-06 Copperas Cove HS 23-12
2006-07 Copperas Cove HS 32-3 * School Record

2012-13 UT Tyler 18-9 ASC Coach of the Year
2013-14 UT Tyler 27-4 ASC Coach of the Year
2014-15 UT Tyler 27-3 ASC Coach of the Year

2015-16 Angelo State 24-8 LSC Coach of the Year
2016-17 Angelo State 26-6 (#2 in the Nation) Sweet 16 (First time in School History) LSC Coach of the Year

- Baker led both a Division II (Angelo State) and Division III (UT Tyler) school to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

2017-18 UTEP 17-14
2018-19 UTEP 9-22
2019-20 UTEP 16-14
2020-21 UTEP 17-8
2021-22 UTEP 14-15
2022-23 UTEP 20-12 CUSA Coach of the Year

"The 93 victories ranks Baker third in program history. The Miners advanced in the C-USA Tournament in all but one season under his leadership and reached the tournament semifinals in 2021 and 2023."

But not sure if he wants to continue coaching basketball.

"After careful consideration of a generous extension offer from UTEP and weighing my options moving forward, I have decided to end my tenure with the Miners," Baker said. "This has been a tough decision for me, but I think the time is right for me to move on to the next chapter of my life, spend more time near family, and begin searching for a new career path."

He was to be paid $249,000 in the final year of his contract.

"However, he will not owe UTEP any form of payment as a buyout, because he did not accept another coaching job, according to a UTEP official."

jboy93
Just to compare how far off SFA is to the big boys, where was Kellogg's salary and what is he making at WVU?
SFAXE93
Kellogg's contract is for five years with a base salary of $500,000 each year, with supplemental compensation.

The supplemental compensation starts at $50,000 in his first year, and increases by $25,000 each year.

The offer also included Kellogg's $220,000 buyout to Stephen F. Austin, one courtesy vehicle, a ticket allotment, additional compensation for services related to youth camps or clinics held on campus, athletic apparel, a membership to a golf club and a relocation stipend of $25,000.

His contract also includes several annual performance incentives.

So, yeah Kellogg did real good going to West Virginia.
jboy93
SFAXE93 said:

Kellogg's contract is for five years with a base salary of $500,000 each year, with supplemental compensation.

The supplemental compensation starts at $50,000 in his first year, and increases by $25,000 each year.

The offer also included Kellogg's $220,000 buyout to Stephen F. Austin, one courtesy vehicle, a ticket allotment, additional compensation for services related to youth camps or clinics held on campus, athletic apparel, a membership to a golf club and a relocation stipend of $25,000.

His contract also includes several annual performance incentives.

So, yeah Kellogg did real good going to West Virginia.
I would say that's pretty much a no brainer!!! WOW and good for Kellogg!
TallTexan
We hired Kellogg at 150 per year. I'd assume he got a raise in 2021, but I can't find it.

Definitely a no brainer for him and I hope he does well.

Having that buyout money will be a nice chunk of change.
jboy93
I had no idea Morgantown was smaller than Nac or at least the same size! I am sure the fact the SFA stomped a mud hole in WVU in the men's tournament never came up!
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

At Kellogg's WVU introduction he was asked if he would be bringing any of his SFA staff with him or getting staffers from elsewhere. He was noncommittal since he really hasn't had time to think about it, but in short, he insinuated 'maybe both' (an obvious response under the circumstances).
I'm sure he has already talked to some of them and is waiting to see how the interviews with SFA go.
TallTexan
jboy93 said:

I had no idea Morgantown was smaller than Nac or at least the same size! I am sure the fact the SFA stomped a mud hole in WVU in the men's tournament never came up!

Whole state is smaller than East Texas in population too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.