2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

41,162 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ServiceJack88 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

Does the 6th Man Sawmill support WBB?

YES THEY DO!!! I've been contributing to them every month since it started! It's a separate fund from the one for the men, so I have two debits from my bank account each month.
But how does one differentiate it? When I go to the website it doesn't give an option to donate to WBB! I know there is the Collective but that took a little digging to find. So do we just take their word that it is going to them?

In all transparency I would like to know how much was raised for WBB and how many players it went to!

Honestly, I don't remember how the WBB donations were initiated when I started making them. I think there was a separate link to join that donor group, but I'm not sure. And I have never been informed about how much was raised or how many players are/were getting it. Good questions, so I'll try to find out. Transparency is definitely needed. I've been relying on sheer honesty. I have no reason to think that any dishonesty is taking place.
ibtsoom
I for one am sure glad we gave them time to rest and heal. No need to represent the university who has footed the bill for you so far. The WNIT is no big deal. Looks like they needed all energy to enter the transfer portal.
BigJack85
ServiceJack88 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

YES THEY DO!!! I've been contributing to them every month since it started! It's a separate fund from the one for the men, so I have two debits from my bank account each month.
But how does one differentiate it? When I go to the website it doesn't give an option to donate to WBB! I know there is the Collective but that took a little digging to find. So do we just take their word that it is going to them?

In all transparency I would like to know how much was raised for WBB and how many players it went to!
If I read the sawmill post on Facebook correctly , I thought the sawmil6th man gave out $125,000 last year. I don't know how that would compare to GCU? $2,000,000?
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

Honestly, I don't remember how the WBB donations were initiated when I started making them. I think there was a separate link to join that donor group, but I'm not sure. And I have never been informed about how much was raised or how many players are/were getting it. Good questions, so I'll try to find out. Transparency is definitely needed. I've been relying on sheer honesty. I have no reason to think that any dishonesty is taking place.

There's a different NIL website where you can contribute to other SFA sports.

www.sawmillcollective.com
Pilotgirl
ibtsoom said:

I for one am sure glad we gave them time to rest and heal. No need to represent the university who has footed the bill for you so far. The WNIT is no big deal. Looks like they needed all energy to enter the transfer portal.

And this negative comment is probably the only one you've made in wbb threads here. Lol
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

There's a different NIL website where you can contribute to other SFA sports.

www.sawmillcollective.com

By Friday I should have some information and/or data about how the SFA NIL funds are distributed.

SFA Jack Fanatic
Some of you have asked how NIL donations are being distributed to our SFA athletes. I posed that question to Matt Rocco, Board Chairman of the Sawmill6thMan collective. He kindly sent me the email below.

Personally, as I read the email, I was both greatly disappointed and (at times) mad as H***. You might be, too. The main thing that upset me was that WBB has only received $600 in donations ($600 for the whole team!), and (for some reason which I don't understand), none of it has been distributed to the players. Is it any wonder that we're losing most of our excellent WBB Ladyjacks to the transfer portal? (I can't even hazard a guess how much Jordan Harrison is receiving at West Virginia.) Is it any wonder that we're losing Latrell and Day Day to the portal?

Guys and Gals, we are being greatly "outspent" by other universities, even by some of our WAC peer institutions. It's sad for mid-major schools like ours to be put in this player auctioning situation. The NCAA's NIL system and its partner-in-crime, the transfer portal, are killing college sports. I post this question to you... What can we do to help, or is the system too broken to even try?

BTW, the websites where you can sign up to make one-time or continuing donations to SFA's NIL efforts are...

www.SawMill6thMan.com (MBB donations)
www.sawmillcollective.com (All other athletics teams)

I'm going to also post this over on the General Discussion - SFA NIL Forum, so it doesn't get buried here.

Matt Rocco
To:Ed Stiles

Thu, Apr 4 at 10:04 AM

Ed:

This past year, the Sawmill 6th Man raised $105,400. Players were awarded NIL money to market the Sawmill 6th Man through social media. There were also compensated for attending community events. In total, the guys contributed over 600 hours in community service.

Of the money raised, over 97% goes directly to the players. 3% covers various fees such as Paypal transactions, bank charges, etc. I can't give specifics by player, but the top guys like Latrell, Nana, AJ, Day, etc. all earned over $15k.

Through the Sawmill Collective, the only team to raise money has been the WBB Team. They have $600, none of it's used. You are the only monthly donor.

I have met with Coach Carthall and Coach Bishop along with Wally to discuss ways they can raise NIL funds. Coach Keller has been very active and is a big supporter. He is fully aware that he will not be able to recruit the players he desires without NIL dollars. The top players in the WAC this past year were making $50,000 to $100,000 or more. None of our guys came close to that. We need to do more. The same is now happening in women's basketball and will continue to get worse.

I heard Latrell is getting $75k to play at North Texas next year ….. this is the world of college sports. I like the concept of student athletes being compensated, but not the way the NIL has allowed the schools with big booster money to manipulate the intent. It's not right, but it is the world our coaches must compete in. Without significant and sustainable NIL funding, SFA's main sports (MBB, WBB, Football & Volleyball) will not be able to compete for the necessary talent needed to be competitive in the WAC. Hope this helps!

Feel free to reach out to me at any time. Any ideas, suggestions are always welcome!!

Matt Rocco
CEO
Etech Global Services
www.etechgs.com
936-371-1309
nacluth
Well that was an informative email. Thanks Ed.
No-look
Wow!
Pilotgirl
HUGE thanks to you for the information, Ed!

You know me, so I'm sure you know how I am feeling right now about the WBB donations. I'm not surprised AT ALL that our Ladies are seeking other opportunities while their counterparts are making 15k. I don't blame them one bit!

I've donated to the PLF specific sport for wbb but not the NIL collective, since it's inception. I have questions before i divert those ongoing donations (specifically why it's not in their hands yet). Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Any of yall interested in conversing about what we can do for WBB via zoom sometime soon? Let me know!
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

HUGE thanks to you for the information, Ed!

You know me, so I'm sure you know how I am feeling right now about the WBB donations. I'm not surprised AT ALL that our Ladies are seeking other opportunities while their counterparts are making 15k. I don't blame them one bit!

I've donated to the PLF specific sport for wbb but not the NIL collective, since it's inception. I have questions before i divert those ongoing donations (specifically why it's not in their hands yet). Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Any of yall interested in conversing about what we can do for WBB via zoom sometime soon? Let me know!

Yes. I'm in for that Zoom meeting.
Pilotgirl
Great! I'll wait a couple days and then message those interested to set up a convo!
ServiceJack88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Some of you have asked how NIL donations are being distributed to our SFA athletes. I posed that question to Matt Rocco, Board Chairman of the Sawmill6thMan collective. He kindly sent me the email below.

Personally, as I read the email, I was both greatly disappointed and (at times) mad as H***. You might be, too. The main thing that upset me was that WBB has only received $600 in donations ($600 for the whole team!), and (for some reason which I don't understand), none of it has been distributed to the players. Is it any wonder that we're losing most of our excellent WBB Ladyjacks to the transfer portal? (I can't even hazard a guess how much Jordan Harrison is receiving at West Virginia.) Is it any wonder that we're losing Latrell and Day Day to the portal?

Guys and Gals, we are being greatly "outspent" by other universities, even by some of our WAC peer institutions. It's sad for mid-major schools like ours to be put in this player auctioning situation. The NCAA's NIL system and its partner-in-crime, the transfer portal, are killing college sports. I post this question to you... What can we do to help, or is the system too broken to even try?

BTW, the websites where you can sign up to make one-time or continuing donations to SFA's NIL efforts are...

www.SawMill6thMan.com (MBB donations)
www.sawmillcollective.com (All other athletics teams)

I'm going to also post this over on the General Discussion - SFA NIL Forum, so it doesn't get buried here.

Matt Rocco
To:Ed Stiles

Thu, Apr 4 at 10:04 AM

Ed:

This past year, the Sawmill 6th Man raised $105,400. Players were awarded NIL money to market the Sawmill 6th Man through social media. There were also compensated for attending community events. In total, the guys contributed over 600 hours in community service.

Of the money raised, over 97% goes directly to the players. 3% covers various fees such as Paypal transactions, bank charges, etc. I can't give specifics by player, but the top guys like Latrell, Nana, AJ, Day, etc. all earned over $15k.

Through the Sawmill Collective, the only team to raise money has been the WBB Team. They have $600, none of it's used. You are the only monthly donor.

I have met with Coach Carthall and Coach Bishop along with Wally to discuss ways they can raise NIL funds. Coach Keller has been very active and is a big supporter. He is fully aware that he will not be able to recruit the players he desires without NIL dollars. The top players in the WAC this past year were making $50,000 to $100,000 or more. None of our guys came close to that. We need to do more. The same is now happening in women's basketball and will continue to get worse.

I heard Latrell is getting $75k to play at North Texas next year ….. this is the world of college sports. I like the concept of student athletes being compensated, but not the way the NIL has allowed the schools with big booster money to manipulate the intent. It's not right, but it is the world our coaches must compete in. Without significant and sustainable NIL funding, SFA's main sports (MBB, WBB, Football & Volleyball) will not be able to compete for the necessary talent needed to be competitive in the WAC. Hope this helps!

Feel free to reach out to me at any time. Any ideas, suggestions are always welcome!!

Matt Rocco
CEO
Etech Global Services
www.etechgs.com
936-371-1309

Ed thank you so much for getting this information. One thing that I see is that many people are not aware of this collective page. Most people are familiar with the 6th Man page for Men's Basketball. I also don't believe there is enough knowledge about NIL and the collectives in the community. Also as little as the $600 dollars is WHY HASNT it been used? You brought up a very valid question in that. What are the requirements for the players to collect this money? How do we get businesses in the community involved? There is so much good that can come from this but I think it needs to be transparent so THANK YOU for collecting this information Ed!
BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

Great! I'll wait a couple days and then message those interested to set up a convo!

I'll be glad to join
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Pilotgirl
We will have a zoom discussion on Wednesday, April 10th from 530 to 6 to discuss a couple of options for NIL and WBB. PM me if you would like the zoom link or you can email us at thewwdubclub@gmail.com
SFA Jack Fanatic
Atalia Ballesteros has entered the portal.
Pilotgirl
Nice to see some of our players on this list. Lamar really cleaned up....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.