2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

41,568 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFAJack_76 said:

Dez is in the portal.

Dang it! You're killing me, 76!
SFAJack_76
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Dez is in the portal.

Definitely going to need a program this fall for both teams.
RedRiverLa
In general, the portal has ruined what I used to love about college sports.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Completely agree with RedRiver. Portal and NIL has turned college sports into a mercenary system which favors the rich schools. A few kids will get rich but many more will come to find this promise of free agency and big money doesn't apply to them.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFAJack_76 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

SFAJack_76 said:

Dez is in the portal.

Definitely going to need a program this fall for both teams.

Bishop pulled a rabbit out of a hat once. He can do it again. And there are still some very good players on the team.
SFAJack_76
Every student athlete that transfers does so for their own reasons. Both Tyler and Dez have played four years of college basketball. Without the Covid year, they would be out of eligibility.

And, they both were D1 transfers to SFA.
RedRiverLa
SFAJack_76 said:

Every student athlete that transfers does so for their own reasons. Both Tyler and Dez have played four years of college basketball. Without the Covid year, they would be out of eligibility.

I have no problem with kids taking advantage to play one more year. I'm speaking in general terms across all of college sports that I just don't like the portal. I have nothing against the kids, just the system.
SFAJack_76
RedRiverLa said:

SFAJack_76 said:

I have no problem with kids taking advantage to play one more year. I'm speaking in general terms across all of college sports that I just don't like the portal. I have nothing against the kids, just the system.

You posted your comments on the WBB thread right after it was shared that those two were in the portal.
Pilotgirl
Trinity Slocum to the portal.
Pilotgirl
Kyla Deck is in the portal as well.

BigJack85
Pilotgirl said:

***???????
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pilotgirl
I know....I'm so bummed and anxious!
No-look
That hurts!
No-look
The portal has hurt college basketball. The days of building a team is over. I know, there's pros and cons but???
Ljacks&Longnecks
Well if this was the MBB, the cries of fire Keller and that he does things that would shock us would be rampant......oh wait that already happened.

So is it NIL that has these ladies doing the Portal?? I would doubt that it is related to Bishop.

The Portal will make it very difficult for WBB teams like SFA to stay competitive.The superstars will stay at P5 schools. Sure SFA will find some good players here and there but the chance to build a team through 3 and 4 year players and formulate the chemistry that teams need to stay in contention year after year will dissolve.
You can not build chemistry and consistency if 4-5 players leave every year beyond the seniors and/or graduate students.
No-look
Schools with deeper pockets go after the other schools best players. I don't blame the players but blame the system.
BigJack85
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

Well if this was the MBB, the cries of fire Keller and that he does things that would shock us would be rampant......oh wait that already happened.

So is it NIL that has these ladies doing the Portal?? I would doubt that it is related to Bishop.

The Portal will make it very difficult for WBB teams like SFA to stay competitive.The superstars will stay at P5 schools. Sure SFA will find some good players here and there but the chance to build a team through 3 and 4 year players and formulate the chemistry that teams need to stay in contention year after year will dissolve.
You can not build chemistry and consistency if 4-5 players leave every year beyond the seniors and/or graduate students.

Nailed it. This is a serious issue that the NCAA appears to be ignoring. Some simple guardrails would make the system a little more reasonable for both coaches AND players. Limits on transfers should be considered.
Axe 'Em Jacks - Class of 85'
Buckets
Hard to say the NCAA is "ignoring it" as they are currently engaged in lawsuits with about a dozen states and the Department of Justice over the issue…
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic
Pilotgirl said:

Coach Bishop is going to have his work cut out for him to piece a competitive team together AGAIN.
SFA Jack Fanatic
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Pilotgirl said:

Coach Bishop is going to have his work cut out for him to piece a competitive team together AGAIN.

As of now, SFA is losing a combined 40 ppg to the portal. Let's be honest, it will be hard (impossible?) to overcome such a massive loss offensively.

I thought the Ladyjacks would have a strong core of players coming back, with a chance at a WAC title next season. Gone with the wind. I HATE THE TRANSFER PORTAL AND THE NIL BUYING OF PLAYERS!!!
TallTexan
If you add Zya, last year's transfer loss was 42 points, atleast when it came to folks who were regular contributors.

I would be interested to see how this changes Ladyjacks recruiting.

SFA MBB have been doing a lot of transfers for a while, but the Ladies have typically stuck around longer. That'll be a tough transition, but Len did a great job building this years team, so I'm confident he'll figure it out.
djsfw57
I was shocked by the players leaving, mostly because we are losing so much. Then I remembered this happened last year - and look how things turned out! No question there is much to be done to reload, but I have faith in the coaching staff to get us going again.
SFA, Class of 1979
Ljacks&Longnecks
I'm sure that Coach Bishop and staff will do a good job of securing players to fill in these gaps with the awful system that now exists.
It saddens and annoys me to think that now being a Ladyjack will no longer be the "special" culture it used to be. Back in the day it seemed that the WBB Ladyjacks were always well loved and supported by the community that followed them and the culture and nature of the Ladyjack community seemed really something beyond just WBB.
I think back to my introduction to Ladyjack basketball in 76----Felderhoff, DK Thomas, Pam Johnson, Missy Weissinger(sp) and then through the years---Barbara Brown, Deenen Parker, Rosie Walker, Portia Hill, Lori Davis, Trena Tillis and many more, even more recently the 3 Johnson sisters.
Now under this "great" new way of business it appears that past feeling will be shot down by free agency of the portal and NIL. Now SFA will just be a short drop off point between transfers to supposedly bigger and better choices. Little continuity, no way to build a true team chemistry and very little reason to get excited anymore about the great recruits that we signed---yeah for what 1 maybe 2 seasons.
Yes I'm older, yes I don't like major change and yes I am venting but that said----Now when I watch SFA basketball because I'm an SFA fan (team/school first, individual athletes as part of the team/school second) I'm left to wander how many of the current roster have any real interest in SFA itself or if SFA is just a tool for them to further the free agency. Yes there is a difference.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Ljacks&Longnecks said:

I'm sure that Coach Bishop and staff will do a good job of securing players to fill in these gaps with the awful system that now exists.
It saddens and annoys me to think that now being a Ladyjack will no longer be the "special" culture it used to be. Back in the day it seemed that the WBB Ladyjacks were always well loved and supported by the community that followed them and the culture and nature of the Ladyjack community seemed really something beyond just WBB.
I think back to my introduction to Ladyjack basketball in 76----Felderhoff, DK Thomas, Pam Johnson, Missy Weissinger(sp) and then through the years---Barbara Brown, Deenen Parker, Rosie Walker, Portia Hill, Lori Davis, Trena Tillis and many more, even more recently the 3 Johnson sisters.
Now under this "great" new way of business it appears that past feeling will be shot down by free agency of the portal and NIL. Now SFA will just be a short drop off point between transfers to supposedly bigger and better choices. Little continuity, no way to build a true team chemistry and very little reason to get excited anymore about the great recruits that we signed---yeah for what 1 maybe 2 seasons.
Yes I'm older, yes I don't like major change and yes I am venting but that said----Now when I watch SFA basketball because I'm an SFA fan (team/school first, individual athletes as part of the team/school second) I'm left to wander how many of the current roster have any real interest in SFA itself or if SFA is just a tool for them to further the free agency. Yes there is a difference.

Wonderfully stated, L&L. You took the words straight out of my mouth. Errr... out of my little computer.
Ljacks&Longnecks
Thanks Fanatic.

Now to be Clear, I'm not knocking any individuals here, I'm knocking the system.
I also understand transfers occur for a variety of reasons and that's cool. But this current system stinks.
TallTexan
Its definitely a bummer to see so many people want to transfer, regardless of reason.

The open transfer market is relatively new, inducements(NIL) is less so in my opinion.

We can't really do anything about transfer rules and I really don't think they should change. All of us here have the freedom to switch jobs/schools/churches etc if we're tired of our current situation or it's just not working out. I feel like college athletes should have that same free able to do so as well.

When I say inducements like NIL aren't all that new, they're really not. Locker room redesigns every 2-3 years, new athletic dorms, new weight rooms, and yes, under the radar cash has long been a tool of the high major teams in athletics.

The main difference now is that it's a more easily comparable dollar amount vs the more intrinsic benefits like teak lockers or getting to sit in a class taught by a movie star.

Which is both good and bad.

But what I think is most important for SFA and SFA fans is to build a culture, community, & environment that gives us an edge over similarly situated rivals and reduces transfers as much as possible. That could be a lot of things, facilities like the Basketball performance center. It could be support from alumni to land a good job post graduation. It could be playing in front of good crowds. It could be more NIL for the Ladyjacks.

It's actually a combination, but getting those right is no less important than it was before the portal and NIL.

We need to find out what we can do better than schools like Sam, Tarleton, ACU, NSU and then do those things as well as we can.

That's how we'll get more players to stick around as long as possible and thus keep up the winning culture we all expect.
Ljacks&Longnecks
I believe that the Ladyjacks have had the culture here that you speak of for many years. Continuing the culture and community of and for Ladyjacks will be much more difficult when players are signing on for 1 year and then out the door the next. Cohesiveness, chemistry and a true team ( with a we) spirit will not be able to thrive or even exist with these transfer "rules". Sure coaches know what they are up against and will troll the portal to fill their needs but then next year , BOOM, same story all over again....4, 5 7 players gone.(between transfers and eligibility limits).
Transfers have always been available and widely used. Athletes were not quite as stuck as you make it sound but they did actually have to put in effort or sit out a year to do so. Certainly the NCAA and supporters of open-door, no reason transfer could have worked up a plan to help out student athletes who wanted or needed a transfer to make that move better for the person involved and easier to obtain without destroying the transfer process.
But, the Big schools saw their opportunity to rig the system even more to their advantage and so we have anarchy now.
Not sure where you think this "more NIL" money for any SFA athletics will come from......Athletic funding is very tight according to several on this forum. Retired locals? Student body? Ha.

Again, some transfers are needed---playing closer to home, personality conflicts with coaching staff, even the old "more playing time", grad school etc are legit. Transferring to make more money should never have been part of the equation.
TallTexan
As long coaches can transfer every year for more money, I'll never say the kids shouldn't be able to as well. Their earnings windows from this sport are so much shorter than the average coach.

I don't think Nac is going to suddenly find Caitlin Clark level NIL money. But if the 6th Man collective told us a few years ago that they would find 125k in NIL money, would you have believed that?

A few grand per athlete would probably go an awfully long way for the Ladyjacks. I'll let you know after Wednesday's Powerball if Clark will be transferring here for her 5th year though.
ServiceJack88
Does the 6th Man Sawmill support WBB?
TallTexan
ServiceJack88 said:

They've said before that they were opening it up to sports other than MBB, but based on their socials & website, I'm going to think no.

I do know SFA has a few teams on NIL Club last I checked.
SFA Jack Fanatic
ServiceJack88 said:

YES THEY DO!!! I've been contributing to them every month since it started! It's a separate fund from the one for the men, so I have two debits from my bank account each month.
TallTexan
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

YES THEY DO!!! I've been contributing to them every month since it started! It's a separate fund from the one for the men, so I have two debits from my bank account each month.

Appreciate the insight and the regular donations.
ServiceJack88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

ServiceJack88 said:

But how does one differentiate it? When I go to the website it doesn't give an option to donate to WBB! I know there is the Collective but that took a little digging to find. So do we just take their word that it is going to them?

In all transparency I would like to know how much was raised for WBB and how many players it went to!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.