2023-2024 Ladyjack Basketball

41,587 Views | 471 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by Pilotgirl
SFAJack_76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I see that both the women and men play in a double header in WRJ on the morning of November 6 for an 'education day' (free admission for schools and their personnel). The women are playing Oklahoma Panhandle. It does not appear on the WBB schedule, so I assume it is an exhibition game.

Anyway, it will be a good opportunity to get an early glimpse of both SFA BB squads.

Ladyjack non conference schedule has not been released yet.
SFA88
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I see that both the women and men play in a double header in WRJ on the morning of November 6 for an 'education day' (free admission for schools and their personnel). The women are playing Oklahoma Panhandle. It does not appear on the WBB schedule, so I assume it is an exhibition game.

Anyway, it will be a good opportunity to get an early glimpse of both SFA BB squads.

Yes, OPSU has it listed as an exhibition game.
SFAJack_76
SFA88 said:

SFA Jack Fanatic said:

Yes, OPSU has it listed as an exhibition game.
Not unusual for a lower classification team to do that. It does not mean it's an exhibition for us.
SFA88
Probably not. Most WAC teams seem to have their first "real" game on the 6rh.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
New unis for the new era.

TallTexan
The new schedule looks great tbh.
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
nacluth
Preseason #5 I think is fair considering the coaching change. I would love to beat expectations though.
TallTexan
nacluth said:

Preseason #5 I think is fair considering the coaching change. I would love to beat expectations though.

Coaching and big roster turnover definitely makes it fair. WAC underestimates the ladyjacks at their own peril though.
SFAJack_76
SFAXE93
SFA88
TallTexan said:

nacluth said:

Coaching and big roster turnover definitely makes it fair. WAC underestimates the ladyjacks at their own peril though.
It's fair. There are so many unknowns. I can see the Ladyjacks finishing as high as 3rd or as low as 7th.

Everyone seems to think GCU and SUU are pretty even. I don't know if anyone has bothered to look into SUU but Tracy Mason has done a great job turning that program around. They were perennial cellar dwellers in the Big Sky before she came over from Saint Mary's (Assistant Head Coach). They lost their leading scorer but the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th leading scorers are all back. They are going to be a handful again this year.
SFAXE93
Pilotgirl
I heard through a grapevine that the morning games on 11/6 won't be televised. Hope it's not true but glad I know now instead of trying to tune in Monday morning!
SFAJack_76
Bishop said on the Coaches radio show on Monday that they had two scrimmages. He was not happy with the first one, but the second was much better.
nacluth
Pilotgirl said:

I heard through a grapevine that the morning games on 11/6 won't be televised. Hope it's not true but glad I know now instead of trying to tune in Monday morning!
ESPN has them both labeled as being on ESPN+ right now.
SFA Jack Fanatic
I'm really looking forward to seeing the Ladyjacks on Monday. I expect the Lumberjacks to be very good, but the Ladyjacks are a mystery to me at this point. Maybe the fog will clear a bit on Monday, even though they should not be challenged in that one.
Pilotgirl
nacluth said:

Pilotgirl said:

ESPN has them both labeled as being on ESPN+ right now.

Great!
SFA Jack Fanatic
I and a couple of thousand kiddos will be cheering them on for you, Pilot. I'll provide a biased appraisal of their performance against what should be a weak opponent.

I'll also be attending the Liberty U. game next Friday. That one should be a better measuring stick of just how good this version of the Ladyjacks could be.
Pilotgirl
SFA Jack Fanatic said:

I and a couple of thousand kiddos will be cheering them on for you, Pilot. I'll provide a biased appraisal of their performance against what should be a weak opponent.

I'll also be attending the Liberty U. game next Friday. That one should be a better measuring stick of just how good this version of the Ladyjacks could be.

Thank you! I look forward to your subjective commentary. Hoping to make Friday but it's iffy right now. V will be there as she is working in Nac part of the week...Living Like a Lumberjack/Showcase Saturday is that weekend. Hopefully some people will go to game the night before!
SFAJack_76
We will be there tomorrow and Friday. As Fanatic said, I don't think we learn much, if anything, tomorrow. Especially with up to 4,000 screaming kiddos. Yes, I am very glad we are doing it, and hope most of those that said they were coming will do so.
SFAXE93
SFA88
The non-confence schedule is tough; LU, Rice, Alabama, and MT all won 20 or more games last year. Middle Tennessee is likely the toughest of the group.
Pilotgirl
All profits go to WBB Victory Fund!

SFAXE93
SFAJack_76
Two players not suited up. One in a boot.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Kyla Deck running the point. Looking good so far.
SFA Jack Fanatic
Defense really causing havoc, even the subs.
SFASawmillGuy
We need to do things to get the community involved a lot more like this more often. They crowd is nice for a money game!
SFA Jack Fanatic
A couple of WBB odds and ends from tonight's "Meet the Jacks" dinner...

I talked briefly with Mele Finau, Grad transfer from UC-Riverside, who had a hard cast on her broken foot and missed the Ladyjacks opening game vs. OK Panhandle State on Monday. I asked her if she would be out for the season or would be able to come back. She said that she would be back in about two months. We shall see about that. She really wants to play, since she is a grad student and this will her last year to play.

I asked freshman Lydia Cook-Wiggins if she considered withdrawing her commitment to SFA when Coach Kellogg left. She said no, since it was Coach Bishop who had recruited her and she had a good relationship with him. I asked if she would have left if Bishop had not gotten the HC job and she said probably yes. I asked her who the Ladyjacks had scrimmaged against in the preseason and she said Houston Baptist and Jackson State.

I asked freshman Alitalia Ballesteros from Spain if she had met any of the SFA coaches before signing with SFA. She said no and that she had only talked to them on the phone. I asked how SFA discovered her and she said they had watched videos of her playing, liked what they saw, and offered her a scholarship. She speaks very good English. She said she had been studying English in school since the fifth grade.
Pilotgirl
Awesome...thanks for sharing!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.